Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Decorations

Last post Thu, Feb 20 2014 12:45 PM by babsagain. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:18 PM

Frugal Decorations

Tis the season to be merry. Let's deck the halls with lots of frugal stuff!

Share your ideas on how to decorate without spending too much.
    $ Dollar Stretcher Community Manager $
  • Thu, Dec 12 2013 11:40 PM In reply to

Re: Frugal Decorations

Dig out everything that's red, green, shiny, or sparkly. Combine them creatively. AM
  • Fri, Dec 13 2013 12:58 AM In reply to

LOL AM, BEST ANSWER EVER... LOVE IT
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sun, Dec 15 2013 7:03 PM In reply to

I keep my decorating cost down by using what I have. Just a few of my ideas... 1. Teddy bears dressed up with satin ribbon bows, displayed on a table 2. Save boxes (e.g from tea bags) and toilet paper rolls. Wrap them them to look like small gifts or Christmas crackers and hang on the tree. Larger boxes wrapped and stacked on a table 3. Created a wall decoration for the kitchen with a red or Christmas printed oven mitten filled with extras from the kitchen like a rolling pin, wire whisk, wooden spoon 4. Inexpensive ball ornaments in a bowl 5. Buy a bunch of the cheap dollar store red bows and tie them onto everything. I turned some into napkin rings by threading a half length of a pipe cleaner through the gold wire loop that hold it together. Wrap the pipe cleaner around the rolled napkin and hey presto...instant festive napkin ring. (Total cost $2 to make 18 napkin rings) 6. When youngest DD was a baby, she had a pair of white baby shoes with different colored eyelets. When she outgrew them, I replaced the laces with red ribbon and hung them on the tree. 7. Tea light candles in wine glasses for table decor

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Tue, Feb 11 2014 10:41 AM In reply to

AnotherBrandy:
    Tis the season to be merry. Let's deck the halls with lots of frugal stuff!

Share your ideas on how to decorate without spending too much.

Let's continue this for Valentine's Day & the other holidays. When the children were younger, I saved some of the 99 cents heart shaped candy boxes, & glued them shut when they were empty.  Now they sit on the narrow side, on the book case & look cute for $0! 

Those little hard heart-shaped candies look cute in a dish, especially a pedestal dish, or a clear goblet, too.

Red & white candles in my regular candlesticks look festive.  In March I will change the red ones to green.

• Tue, Feb 11 2014 9:13 PM In reply to

because we have a house full of kids and grandchildren neice and nephews ect ... we decorate for years I have collected valentines we put them up all over the house we have one wall in our family velentine that mean something I have the first Valentine Daddy gave me and I have some from the 30's and a few from 1800's that someone in my family recieved they were in a box in the chest from the big house in Texas

for St Patrick day we have plenty of  decorations from the last 30 years  I tend to save thing from year to year got some wonderful lttle people decorations  

Gayla57

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

• Sat, Feb 15 2014 4:21 PM In reply to

For St Patrick's Day decorations, I put green or white candles in all the candle holders. 

I have several leprechaun statues bought at thrift stores, and 6 little black plastic "kettles" that were originally intended for Halloween, bought years ago on clearance for a dime.  I crumple a small amount of paper to fill the kettles half way full, then top them off with gold foil chocolate coins.  They make wonderful "leprechaun pots of gold", and sit on the bookshelves in the library, in front of the books.

A few years ago, JoAnn's had crocheted shamrocks in white, and in green that were openwork & "puffed out" with a stiffener.  Those would not be hard to duplicate & "starch" with a small balloon inside to provide the "poof".  Whent he stiffener is dry, pop the balloon & remove.

I have used the decorated sides of green kleenex boxes to cut out shamrocks, to tape on doors, or mirrors.

Last year I made a wreath for the door, using green, white, & gold plastic ornament balls, glued to a circle I cut from styrofoam.  I filled in "gaps" with pieces of a green garland bought on clearance ( they sell shamrock garlands at the dollar store that would also work), and filled in with a few green beads & green plastic shamrocks.  It turned out really cute, & cost almost nothing.

• Sun, Feb 16 2014 4:38 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

I saw suncathers on pintrest that used these beads. They put them into round baking pan to melt them and poked a hole in them while hot to hang them. I thought I might try it.

• Tue, Feb 18 2014 9:46 PM In reply to

Nice candles in candleholders are inexpensive decorations, esp if the candleholders are from the thrift store & the candles are purchased on clearance. 

Red candles work for Valentines, Independence Day, and Christmas.  Green works for St Patricks & Easter, and blue works for Independence Day, too.  White works with any other color for any holiday, and orange works for Halloween & Thanksgiving.  I keep the candles in a plastic shoebox, and switch them out thru the season. 

As an added bonus, since I have plenty of candles on hand, I am well stocked for any power outages.

• Thu, Feb 20 2014 12:45 PM In reply to

I have a shamrock plant. It blooms all year if you keep it watered and in a sunny window. It was my Moms so free to me. We really enjoy it so I guess that is a St. Paddy day decoration. Babs

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us