Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Yard Sales!

Last post 04-30-2008 11:11 AM by Edey. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-08-2008 3:24 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Yard Sales!

It looks like I may get to yard sale again!

I read in the paper that a sale was happening this morning in my new neighborhood. I took the kids for a nice stroll down the street to it. We got to see the neighborhood up close, have a pleasant walk and shop.

It was a small sale but I found several pieces of clothes for my four year old and a play dough set.

Have the sales started in your area?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-08-2008 8:45 PM In reply to

Re: Yard Sales!

Yard Sales.....I cant wait. They usually start here around Memorial Day then go until Columbus Day.  Here you can only do two a season and must pay a $5 permit fee. The reason  is that a few years ago , people would do one every week. The traffic was backed up all over town. Now, families will do them together so you  can do more weekend.  Two at my house, then two at the neighbors. Some streets, everyone has a sale at the same time. Nice to really spend a morning out shopping. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-08-2008 11:48 PM In reply to

I'm going to research yard sale tips this year.  I tried it last year but I think I didn't go to the right ones or didn't know what to look for.  I'm sure there are tips online about this.  Yard sales go year-round here but are certainly more prevalent in the Spring and Fall-outside the really cold and really hot times here.  What kind of things do you guys look for most?  I was disappointed in the sales I went to last year-would love to know what the best things to look out for are!

• 03-09-2008 10:54 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Not until May usually.  We are in the midst of the Siberian Freeze here in Michigan.  Brrrrr!!!!!!! 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 03-09-2008 2:26 PM In reply to

I don't frequent yard sales since I live in the country, but a small town in the area has a flea market every weekend from May til Sept.  I go to that, sometimes I set up and although I pay a $7 set up fee, still usually make pretty good money in a couple of hours there.  There are bigger and better ones in the larger cities.  We also have city-wide yard sales that I go to every once in a while.  The thing is, I work for Goodwill and we usually get what is left in the form of donations.

"If you want something then you lose everything. If you don't want anything then you already have everything." -Seung Sahn
  • 03-09-2008 7:01 PM In reply to

Yard sales...I look for canning jars, books, new items that can be used for gifts. I have bought a 2 sets of silverplate table settings with the wooden case. video games and VCR movies for grandkids. I just like to look. some pyrex dishes, Thats all I can think of for now. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-12-2008 8:26 AM In reply to

Yard sales don't start here until the snow goes away....usually Memorial Day lol!

I quit yard saling a year or so ago when gas prices went up. There are no sales by me in the country so I'd have to drive to another town to get good sales. With gas prices, it's easier to know exactly what I'm looking for and then go to the thrift store when I do other errands. (The thrift stores are 12 miles away and the good yard sales are 30 miles away)

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 03-12-2008 9:52 AM In reply to

Sales start to pick up here at the end of May and go well through September. I sometimes do yard/garage/tag sales but find I usually spend on things I don't really need just because I find them. I like Thrift Stores better.

However, our neighborhood has a garage sale the second to last weekend of August (yes, in Nebraska, which means 110 degrees guaranteed, ugh). Blocks and blocks of sales, sometimes 75 homes in our neighborhood. Pulls people in from all over and since this is a college town and the weekend before classes start (and we live in the neighborhood near 3 campuses), we do get a lot of college kids looking for furniture/household items. DH and I only hold our own sale every other year or so b/c it isn't worth the work unless I have stuff to sell. We did our own sale Memorial Weekend 2006 (I was due with ds #2 the second to last week in August) and had a better sale. The weather was perfect, people were ready to get out of their houses and we had some nice things to sell--it was a "make room for baby #2 sale", LOL. I wish our neighborhood would think about May rather than August. Sitting in my garage/driveway (south facing) at 2:00 p.m. on an August Saturday is awful!

Erika
  • 03-14-2008 1:17 PM In reply to

(just saw this thred)

Well, down here in Louisiana we have yard sales all year long (no winter snow to worry about). And let me tell you, it is a big deal in our area. We have so many yard sales in our area that they passed a law that you could only have so many a year (two I think) because people were making serious money off of them. Anyways...

I have wanted to start going to yard sales for a long time now, mostly to look for furniture and things like that... But most of the ones here start on Thursday so by the time the weekend comes all the good stuff is sold out. So, the older people and those who don't work have the advantage.

We have a town not too far that has a huge one every year: the whole town gets together and it's a big yard sale/craft show. I hear it is awesome. I think it's in the Spring. I may have to check it out this year.

God bless,

Julie

• 03-28-2008 8:54 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I just found out that our town does an annual town wide yard sale! There is a spot in town with booths, food and more and people are setting up sales in their yards through the town. My husband has most of the day off and we are going to see if we can find any good deals.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us