Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Healthy Back to School Lunch Ideas...

Last post Tue, Aug 20 2013 9:26 PM by spiderdust. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 3 2013 10:12 PM

Healthy Back to School Lunch Ideas...

Back to school time is just around the corner, please share some of your favorite healthy back to school lunch (and snacks) ideas... How will you encourage your kids to munch on more colors of the rainbow and healthier food options? If you don't have kids but still have idea please jump right in and share. I know there are many parents out there who are still making/packing school snacks and lunches and would like ideas on some healthy and wholesome foods to keep their children and even better if those ideas are coming from you frugal mastermind Moms here (and everyone else too!!!) *Smile*
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sat, Aug 3 2013 11:32 PM In reply to

Re: Healthy Back to School Lunch Ideas...

I make wraps using whole grain tortillas, turkey, tatziki sauce, diced up tomatoes and mixed baby greens. I also like to send a bowl of fruit salad and a bottle of water. You can freeze the water bottles and it will keep the lunch cold but thaw out in time for lunch. You can also make pita pockets with the abovementioned ingredients.
    Riley
  • Sun, Aug 4 2013 12:25 AM In reply to

Those are great ideas Riley, thanks. I was making a list of how to stretch a whole chicken for school lunches and then realized some of the ideas were warm meals. I know thermastat container things can keep hot foods hot for awhile but does anyone know how long they actually keep hot foods warm for?
    I am unable to delete my account. Therefore, I have signed out and will not be returning. Please do not contact me here, I will not get the message. God bless you all.
  • Sun, Aug 4 2013 12:25 AM In reply to

Those are great ideas Riley, thanks. I was making a list of how to stretch a whole chicken for school lunches and then realized some of the ideas were warm meals. I know thermastat container things can keep hot foods hot for awhile but does anyone know how long they actually keep hot foods warm for?
  • Sun, Aug 4 2013 6:29 PM In reply to

I have some really good Thermos brand wide-mouth stainless containers that I send with my husband sometimes in the winter. If you pre-heat with boiling water for 5 minutes before adding the hot food, the food is still steaming hot 6 or 7 hours later.
  • Sun, Aug 4 2013 8:37 PM In reply to

We're pretty basic with sandwiches and wraps, but we do healthy substitutions when we can and I insist that a veggie and fruit be in the lunchbox every day. DD loves bologna so she takes a bologna sammie twice a week. The other two days are a different lunchmeat (nitrite/nitrate free if we can get it) and she eats school lunch once per week. Her fave veggie sides include carrots/cukes/bell peppers and dip, salad, yellow or red cherry/grape tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower. I haven't found a fruit that she doesn't like except mangoes. Her favorite special fruit treat is star fruit. We always buy 1 when we find them, so just a few times a year. After this she usually wants a greek yogurt tube, but sometimes she'll change things up with a HM muffin or granola bar. Most of the sides also double as afternoon snack. For her drink she usually has flavored water and sometimes juice.

Another treat is when I make wraps with a little cream cheese, ham, cheese, and pickle. I become "world's best mom" on those days.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Aug 14 2013 9:01 AM In reply to

• selkie65
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, May 20 2009
    • Posts 8

My DD lived on PB and J for years and then decided she didn't want them anymore. To replace we mix things up with sandwich fillings. One of her favorites is turkey, cheese and ranch dressing on oat bread. I have lots of little fun sized containers to hold fruits and veggies and a few chips or a cookie. That way I can control the portions better than buying the "snack size" bags. Saves money too. We're lucky in that she will eat her veggies plain, no dip needed. She also loves celery with cream cheese or peanut butter. She likes the cheddar cheese sticks and yogurt in various flavors and forms (drinkable, tubes, and regular containers). Her lunch ends up looking kind of like a bento box with the different containers, but without the fuss of "fancying" up the foods. LOL
  • Thu, Aug 15 2013 9:42 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

While really good tomatoes are in season, I've been making cream cheese and tomato sandwiches.  Oh yumm!  One other thing I like are cheddar cheese sandwiches.  I will sometimes mix 1/2 shredded cheddar with 1/2 shredded carrots and use that as a sandwich spread.  You can mix in mayo or yogurt if you like.  One favorite when I was a kid was a cream cheese and raisin spread on toast.  You could use any dried fruit instead of raisins.  Could also use this mix to stuff into celery sticks.

• Fri, Aug 16 2013 12:58 AM In reply to

My youngest asks for "something delicious" in his lunch...So here are some ideas: Bagels (filling can be tuna or deli meat ), pulled pork or beef sandwiches, english muffin pizza, egg salad, chicken fingers with a sauce, fajitas, tacos, turkey burgers.....I make most of these from scratch except the breads/tacos and sauces. I also make banana bread, pumpkin bread,chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal-chip cookies, granola bars, homemade beef jerky, but add fresh fruit, carrot sticks, and pretzels as well. If we had better leak-proof containers, my kids would also have chili, chicken noodle soup and beef barley soup with crackers. But they eat that for dinner so that may be why they haven't asked for that at lunchtime!!
  • Fri, Aug 16 2013 4:29 PM In reply to

My oldest is a fan of hummus, so giving her veggie sticks and pretzels with hummus sometimes works as a lunch. I can make the hummus from scratch, either using a can of chickpeas or starting with soaked and cooked chickpeas when I manage to have time. Both options are pretty inexpensive.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us