Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Ten Useful Things For A Buck

Last post Thu, Jun 2 2011 4:17 PM by gayla50. 39 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 20 2008 5:12 PM In reply to

Re: Ten Useful Things For A Buck

kabin:
    I don't think many of the cleaning products are a good deal there

Kabin,

Have you tried Mean Green from Dollar General?  It definitely cleans, though it's not what we think of as a "green" cleaner!

Lynnea the Dogmom
  • Tue, May 20 2008 7:14 PM In reply to

dmc__2008,

Just wanted to say thanks for mentioning that blog spot. Very fun and inspiring. I love stuff like that.

Colleen

Colleen
  • Mon, Jun 30 2008 12:19 PM In reply to

These are useful items, although you do have to resist the temptation to pick up items just because they are a dollar. Here's what I've found:

1. Cheese grater

2. Hand sanitizer--Way cheaper than Wal-mart

3. Paper plates---Good item to have if you are hosting a party or don't feel like washing dishes on occasion

4. Fragrant lotions and body wash

5. Basic hygiene and beauty products--Including toothpaste and toothbrushes.

I am thinking of expanding into some of their food products, but I am not sure if they're any good. Has anyone ever tried condiments from the Dollar Tree?

Some artists work in oil. I work in childish things--Conan O'Brien
  • Tue, Jul 1 2008 12:39 PM In reply to

orbisongirl:

I am thinking of expanding into some of their food products, but I am not sure if they're any good. Has anyone ever tried condiments from the Dollar Tree?

Not condiments per se, but I've tried pasta, canned goods, boxed brownie mix, and soft drinks and snacks for parties. All of these were acceptable. At some of the bigger Dollar Tree stores, they even have a frozen-foods section; we bought 4-ounce packages of tilapia there, which works out to $4 a pound--definitely better than our supermarket--and it tasted fine in a fish taco.

One thing I forgot to mention was that dollar stores can also be great places to buy gifts for kids. Last weekend we went out to visit my in-laws, and I surprised my nephew and nieces (two to four years old) with dollar-store hats. The girls' hats were little white lacy things with ribbon flowers on them, and my nephew's was a sort of canvas safari-type hat (not sure how else to describe it) with an adjustable cord to hold it on. Surprisingly, he was the one who seemed to like his the best.

We've also picked up some little items that will make nice stocking stuffers this Christmas: colorful letters and numbers made out of foam board, foam beads and wooden blocks in a variety of shapes and colors, and rolls of stickers (all four of them love stickers). After all, I doubt children under five are going to care where their present came from or how much it cost, as long as it's fun.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Wed, Jul 2 2008 10:55 AM In reply to

I love my Dollar Tree....

1. coloring & construction paper books
    2. crayons & markers
    3. puzzles for DD
    4. jellies or jams
    5. jarred, canned, frozen food items (a favorite is fire roasted red bell pepper in water or olive oil)
    6. cat toys
    7. novelty socks for DD
    8. plastic spoons (requirement for DD's preschool)
    9. organizing boxes & bins (love!)
    10. dishwashing gloves, 2 pair in a package
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Oct 6 2008 9:28 PM In reply to

My favorite dollar store is the Dollar Tree. We have one on the Va side of town and another on the Tn side of town (we live on the border of TN/VA.  My10 favorite things to get are as follows:

1.  2 for $1.00 greeting cards

2.  Party favors for theme parties or kids parties

3.  Gift bags (very pretty and a lot cheaper than any other store)

4.  Cheap plastic bowls for popcorn, cleaning, mixing and even taking to parties (I can leave it without feeling guilty if I don't get it back!)

5.  Baking pans for banana nut bread, tamale pie, and other items I make for others.

6.  Craft and scrapbooking supplies.

7.  Stemware (I do real estate and when I have a closing, I will gift a bottle of tasty, but very inexpensive champagne and include a pair of pretty wine glasses in a pretty bag, with a card saying CONGRATS and THANK YOU).  Its always a hit!

8.  Large glow stick necklaces and bracelets for kid parties or when we have bonfires (makes it easy to see where the kids are at all times too!)

9.  Laundry bags (I use these for the foster kids when packing up their clothes to go home, or for storing their seasonal gear.  Buying suitcases that never made their way back got too expensive!).

10. Their cleaner called AWESOME, it cleans ANYTHING!

I have other stuff I like to get, but those are the main ones!

• Mon, Oct 6 2008 10:38 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I always get gift wrap , alot of cards 2 for $1.00, color book , crayons.  and the cutest little jar , baskets, envelopes , craft and scrap book supplies .. cute baby things . gift bags ..

our store is 35 miles away west almost in Tn and the other closet is 39 miles east ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Oct 9 2008 11:03 AM In reply to

usellubuy:

My favorite dollar store is the Dollar Tree. We have one on the Va side of town and another on the Tn side of town (we live on the border of TN/VA.  My10 favorite things to get are as follows:

1.  2 for $1.00 greeting cards

2.  Party favors for theme parties or kids parties

3.  Gift bags (very pretty and a lot cheaper than any other store)

4.  Cheap plastic bowls for popcorn, cleaning, mixing and even taking to parties (I can leave it without feeling guilty if I don't get it back!)

5.  Baking pans for banana nut bread, tamale pie, and other items I make for others.

6.  Craft and scrapbooking supplies.

7.  Stemware (I do real estate and when I have a closing, I will gift a bottle of tasty, but very inexpensive champagne and include a pair of pretty wine glasses in a pretty bag, with a card saying CONGRATS and THANK YOU).  Its always a hit!

8.  Large glow stick necklaces and bracelets for kid parties or when we have bonfires (makes it easy to see where the kids are at all times too!)

9.  Laundry bags (I use these for the foster kids when packing up their clothes to go home, or for storing their seasonal gear.  Buying suitcases that never made their way back got too expensive!).

10. Their cleaner called AWESOME, it cleans ANYTHING!

I have other stuff I like to get, but those are the main ones!

People keep saying they can get 2 for $1 greeting cards. That's great. I pay $1 for each greeting card which I still consider a great deal considering what you pay in card shops but 50 cents a card is really good. I can't get Awesome here, either and I'm dying to try it! You mention baking pans. Are we talking foil or metal? If you use the metal ones when baking for others, that makes a great extra for the recipient, doesn't it? And I like the real estate gift for your clients. That's true dollar store style.
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style
    Home Decor From The Dollar Store!

• Sat, Jan 10 2009 5:12 PM In reply to

oncondiments: Not a dollar store, but I picked up several$1 bottles of barbecue sauce (Memphis Magic) that has NO HFCS.

• Sat, Jan 10 2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• Hofmama
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 10 2008
    • Kentucky
    • Posts 590

Last time I went to the Dollar Tree, I got a soap dish, candles for Shabbat (who knew Dollar Tree had kosher candles?), socks for the baby, and a new set of funnels for cooking.

Page 3 of 4 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us