Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Do Cheap Laundry Detergents Work?

Last post Thu, Mar 27 2014 10:31 PM by rolo. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:36 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Do Cheap Laundry Detergents Work?

With rising costs of products, we often seek cheaper alternatives to things we have used for years.

Is cheaper laundry detergent worth buying for you? Which ones have you found to work well?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 11:53 AM In reply to

Re: Do Cheap Laundry Detergents Work?

We use Arm & Hammer free & clear; I'm not sure if it's considered a cheap one, but it's around $3.50 when on sale. It works very well, but it's not perfect. We are sure to pretreat stains with Shout free & clear if needed (which, with an 8 year old, it normally is).
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:08 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

i go between making my own, buying all . If really  broke, I buy the cheap like sun or the Walgreens brand. I think the cheap are fine for jeans, towels, sweatshirts. I tend to use the All for nicer clothes. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:15 PM In reply to

I feel I use more when I buy the cheaper brands, like Extra. But when they are on sale for $2 a bottle for the 40-50 load size, I guess using a bit more is ok.I prefer to use Extra with OxyClean or bleach alternative. I pretreat when I see a stain (with a 2, 6 and 8 year old, most shirts).

I also use Arm & Hammer free and clear/sensitive skin and buy it on sale.

Since DH cannot stand Tide, I've never had it to compare but I know it's the most expensive. I did use Era until middle DS appeared to have a skin sensitivity to it or the scent--not sure which.

Erika
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 12:22 PM In reply to

I have an HE machine so the laundry soap is more expensive no matter what you buy. I was using Gain but then switched to Costco's brand which is less expensive. I use less than what is recommended and my clothes come out clean. I was paying 20 bucks for the big container of Gain at Costco and now I buy the Kirkland brand for 15 bucks. It lasts about 3 months.
    Riley
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 4:26 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I make my own which is a huge savings, especially with as easy as it is to mix it up.

As to pre-treating I have used Dawn Dish soap since the '70s on all food, blood, baby up chuck and greasy spots and seems a more economical product than pre-treaters.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:18 PM In reply to

I also make my own and I bought a pound of soap nuts online which has proven VERY cost effective per load and pretty much allergen free.   For stains I have a fels-naphtha bar that must be 5 years old now and still not 1/2 gone.

• Wed, Jan 30 2013 7:37 PM In reply to

I use Purex most of the time, it's the cheapest I can get at the commissary. It works very well, I've never had any problems with it. But when Tide is on sale plus I have some coupons, I splurge a little and buy it, but only use it for things like towels and sheets because I like the way it makes them smell.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:05 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Ive used Purex and like it. I forgot.  Ace Hardward had Fab @ for $5 last week. I am hoping that it is still on sale. I am going to pick some up on Sat. if still that price. I havent used Fab in years for for the price I will use it for something. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 30 2013 8:37 PM In reply to

sun generic laundry

purex

ajax

arm and hammer laundry

trend laundry detergent

and last I use 2 of the cheapest of cheap 

A. awsome in the red and blue containers

B. Also the wool wash I use lots of the time I hand was some clothes

C. the home made laundry detergent I also make the wool wash too.

Cindy ---
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us