Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Healthcare dilemma

Last post Sun, Jan 27 2008 2:40 PM by babs. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 27 2008 12:05 PM

Healthcare dilemma

I've considered myself one of fortunate few who have health insurance thru my employer.  I've stayed with this company because of that benefit for over 10 years.  Over the years, we've changed insurance companies which of course, changed the type of coverage we had and the amount of our portion of the premium and of course co-payments for office visits and prescriptions.  This year, our portion of the premium decreased obout $15.00 per month, BUT now we have a $250 deductible, higher co-pays AND 20% co-insurance to pay!  I recently had an overnight stay at the local hospital.  After receiving 3 EOB's, I got a bill from the hospital for the portion I owed.  On the back, they had some information regarding financial assistance that was available for low-income families. According to the chart, our household income is only about $1,000 above the income level stated for Full Free Care for our size family!  I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ask to be put on part time and drop the insurance. I am relatively healthy and am not one to run to the Dr. all the time. As a matter of fact, I haven't been to one in a couple of years. (Until the hospital stay)  Any suggestions?

"If you want something then you lose everything. If you don't want anything then you already have everything." -Seung Sahn
  • Sun, Jan 27 2008 12:10 PM In reply to

Re: Healthcare dilemma

I guess you would have to fiqure out the financial side of it. Don't know how much you are paying in health insurance, how much you are making etc.

My Family's Interests
  • Sun, Jan 27 2008 2:40 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Healthcare dilemma

I would inquire what that means exactly for financial assistance .In my hospital, they have income guidelines but you have  to do a stack of paperwork, show savings account, bills, check stubs, income tax papers. Applying doesnt always mean that you are approved and the bills canceled. So, I would want to know more about the policy and is it guarented to pay and continue to happen in the future. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us