Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugality and Marriage

Last post Thu, May 9 2013 11:04 PM by Frugal Agent. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:25 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Frugality and Marriage

"I am single but would love to find someone who shares my interests and beliefs. Someone who hangs their laundry, uses cloth napkins and cleans with vinegar."

For some who are seeking a mate; matters of finance and lifestyle can make it difficult to find that perfect match. If you are frugal and have found someone who supports your money savings habits, where did you find your mate?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 2 2013 2:38 PM In reply to

Re: Frugality and Marriage

A friend introduced us, recognizing that we had other things in common. We found about our choices to not overspend ourselves. AM
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:34 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

DH parents taught him all the lessons they learned so mauch during the depression

and with me our family was frugal before it was fashionable

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jan 2 2013 5:42 PM In reply to

I know this isn't romantic but the 1st thing I would do is do a credit check on any potentional mate I am speaking from one who knows back when I got married I didn't know about all of the ways you could check someone's credit if I'had there would not have been a marriage. I have never seen anything like dh every time he get his credit fixed he messes up again. Than G*D I have kept my credit seperate from his. I know things happen and sometimes it can't be helped his is just being STUPID.
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:47 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Linda Cecil:
    I know this isn't romantic but the 1st thing I would do is do a credit check on any potentional mate

It's not but it can save you trouble, I would suppose.

How do you think the person might take it though? Would you feel ok with someone running checks on you?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:11 AM In reply to

Linda, have you tried helping him build better budgeting skills? If you know the rope than can you teach him? He may not get it at first. He may not work it at first but any healthy relationship is going to have highs and lows... and if you married as a team then you can work through things as a team, yes?

As for credit checks, I would not feel okay with that. It would make me uncomfortable and if the person did not trust me enough to just flat out ask and honesty discuss then I'd wonder what their interest with me in the first place was. If you don't trust me you should not be with me, bottom line. I'm not going to lie about things and if for some reason I felt I need to then I shouldn't be with that person to begin with until I could get myself honest and stable - same for the other person as well. Trust = FOUNDATION

I'm not in a relationship but if I were to be it would be nice to have someone who shared similar frugal interests and ways of living for joined balance.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 1:54 PM In reply to

Brandy:

"I am single but would love to find someone who shares my interests and beliefs. Someone who hangs their laundry, uses cloth napkins and cleans with vinegar."

For some who are seeking a mate; matters of finance and lifestyle can make it difficult to find that perfect match. If you are frugal and have found someone who supports your money savings habits, where did you find your mate?

Dammmmm I want one of those guys that is slightly older then me and wants to be frugal but not cheap to the point where there is a cheapskate jerk that turned monster after the marriage I want one that pays the bills owns a house drive a old car.

Cindy ---
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 2:08 PM In reply to

Cindy LOL You made my day dear. No gutter scrubs or sewer rats for you my friend. You are a lady who deserves to be treated like a Lady and QUEEN! Scrubs and sewers can take a hike LOL

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:52 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Linda Cecil:
    it can't be helped his is just being STUPID.

And sometimes stupid is so stupid it has to be on purpose!  I think if you are at a place in life where you finally have a few assets and a good credit rating it is critical to do the credit check.  Can help prevent a lot of problems down the road.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:19 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

Cindy LOL You made my day dear. No gutter scrubs or sewer rats for you my friend. You are a lady who deserves to be treated like a Lady and QUEEN! Scrubs and sewers can take a hike LOL

Atta guy thanks B.B and love the avatar way to go way to go...lol

Cindy ---
Page 1 of 4 (31 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us