Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Packing a Lunch

Last post Fri, Dec 7 2012 9:10 PM by BargainBinge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 1:28 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Packing a Lunch

Are you running dry on ideas for packed lunches for work or the children's school food. Let's share some menu ideas and see what we can come up with to add spice to that midday meal in a box.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: Packing a Lunch

Funny you mention this Brandy. My niece made pinwheels at Thanksgiving and DD loved them. I then made them for a church pitch in and had plenty of extra wraps leftover so offered to make them for DD for lunch if she wanted and she did. We smear cream cheese very thin on a wrap (spinach or sundried tomato), then layer on smoked ham and cheese. We finish with pickle spears (patted dry) before rolling up, tooth picking and then slicing. DD is setting her sites on making them with thinly sliced cukes. and tomatoes, which pleases me just fine. It's nice to have another option. She would eat bologna and cheese everyday if I let her. Oh and cutie season is upon us; we love those little clementines! Easy to peel and can just throw into a lunch box or purse whenever needed. DD will also eat cold pasta if I add tomato pesto sauce to it, makes for a good side dish though I could add veggies for a pasta salad, too.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

I know we've established this idea many times but bento boxes are the way to go over here. If I'm packing Mom a lunch her favorites are either leftover soup from the night before or bento boxes with finger foods. Most all the bentos I make her are vegetarian and include fruit, veggies, maybe raw nuts or sliced cheese... sometimes olives... hard cooked egg... maybe might include fish with a light tuna fish/veggie sandwich or egg salad sandwich which I cut into triangles. Sometimes I might do a bento with a cold pasta salad as the main component and fresh fruit/veggies. I tend to do these more in the spring and summer though. As of now it's getting cold out and leftover soup to warm up is very comforting, especially knowing your son went to the effort to make it for you... WHOOPS, smile. I also have compartment tupperware containers for dinner leftovers that are perfect for work-re-heating the next day. She really enjoys leftovers because she gets to "experience the yummm" all over again. That makes me happy. I don't have kids so I don't have to make school lunches but if I did I would for SURE include a hot thermastat at this time of year with homemade soups/stews/chilis/pasta dish/etc. and fresh fruit/veggies for sure. An example of what I might make for a school lunch at this time of year: thermastat of hot homemade soup (for this example I will choose a hearty minestrone soup I'd make), seasonal fruit (maybe an apple, pear or persimmon), whole grain pita pocket sandwich with a protein source (I do not do lunch meats, I would do real poultry or fish, hard egg, cheese or vegetarian bean/legume protein) and whatever veggies/greens/sprouts I could stuff in there, a side of raw veggies or homemade sea salt veggie chips... and a coconut water to drink. That would be lunch and snacks prior to returning home... In a nutshell: a pita pocket sandwich, bowl of soup in thermastat, veggie side, fresh fruit and a nourishing coconut water. I may include a raw vegan cookie, I have some special raw vegan treats I like to make that work well with kids and adults. What are all of you serving at this time of year?
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:06 PM In reply to

Sunshine and I were posting at the very same time! I must second the pinwheels, I loved them as a kid. I do as an adult too and so does my Mom. I do wraps more though with large leafy raw greens or whole grain/veggie tortillas but cream cheese or a nice brie is really good rolled up in pinwheels. All this though is more spring/summer here. Hummus is nice spread too.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    know we've established this idea many times but bento boxes are the way to go over here.

Here is one of our discussions on that.

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:14 PM In reply to

When DH starts to get tired of sandwiches I will send homemade soup or salads with meat on top. He likes the wraps and occasionally he will take leftovers. I make his wraps with cream cheese, sliced turkey, cheese and veggies. He also likes pita pockets with leftover grilled chicken or steak and veggies. DD takes leftovers for lunch she isn't into sandwiches too much. DS refuses to take a lunch to work. He just takes a couple of granola bars or muffins with him. If he is really hungry he will grab a couple of tacos from the truck. His boss buys them pizza every once in a while.
    Riley
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:15 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Here is a food list I did when my daughter and I were packing lunches for our library and homeschool group day. These were just ideas to pick from. Keeping foods safely cool was not an issue since we left the house shortly before lunch. Others may need to skip the dairy and ranch dips/dressing that we used.

chicken bites, celery and ranch dip, watermelon, chocolate chip cookies

mini burgers and cheddar, roast or mashed potatoes, veggie medley, apple slices

pasta salad,

burritoes, mexican rice, refried beans, tortilla soup orange slices

quesadillas, refried beans, berries or melons, shake

Ham and cheese rolls, grilled bread, bananas and straweberries

Chicken noodle soup, biscuits, yogurt parfait

bread shapes, cheese cubes, ham rolls, yogurt,  berries/melons

barbecue chicken wings, baked beans, garlic bread, pineapples/melon

ham and cheese roll ups, cucumber slices with ranch dip, pretzels, grapes

fried cheese sticks with marinara sauce, peas, bananas

spaghetti sauce on shell pasta, lemon pepper green beans, cucumbers, applesauce

fried rice, apple slices and peanut butter, banana shake

hot dogs, chips and salsa, orange slices

french toast, blueberries, strawberries, cookies

boiled eggs, celery and carrots with ranch dressing, chocolate muffins, yogurt

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 8:37 AM In reply to

If I have leftover steak, I'll make DH a sandwich with a torta roll (like a ciabatta roll) that he can throw in the microwave to heat up the cheese and eat for lunch.

With it being sausage and cheese platter time of year, we have leftover sausage and cheese, so I'll cut off some slices and give him that for lunch, plus a baggie of raw veggies and some fruit.

Sandwiches made with tortillas instead of bread (but not cut into pinwheels). Just don't put tuna in one. He can't get past the "fish taco" similarity (he likes REAL fish tacos).

Jill

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 3:14 PM In reply to

• Jetamio
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2011
    • Colorado
    • Posts 296

Lunch is usually leftovers for me.  I have access to a microwave so it's the easiest.  DD has about 15 minutes for lunch a day at school so she usually takes something she can eat very quickly.  A homemade lunchable, nuts, grapes, Kind bars, etc.  Because of the time constraint, she usually has a snack when she gets home. 

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 3:51 PM In reply to

Jetamio, 15 minutes for lunch??? That's just not fair IMO.Why on earth does she only get 15 mnutes? That's not enough time to eat and unwind...

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us