Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When Cheap Costs More

Last post Fri, Dec 7 2012 2:57 PM by Brandy. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:12 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

When Cheap Costs More

Sometimes a cheaper item isn't worth buying because it doesn't last and you have to replace or repair it sooner than a more expensive option.

What items have not been worth the initial savings to you?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 28 2012 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: When Cheap Costs More

First thing that comes to mind is clothing items. I only buy Levi brand jeans now instead of the cheaper brands cause they don't wear out as fast. I got real tired of having holes at the top of the back pockets all of the time. Also cheap t-shirts that the hem comes out after one washing.

Riley
  • Wed, Nov 28 2012 3:32 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

LifeofRiley:
    I only buy Levi brand jeans now instead of the cheaper brands cause they don't wear out as fast. I got real tired of having holes at the top of the back pockets all of the time. Also cheap t-shirts that the hem comes out after one washing.

I find this to be true of children's clothes. Some brands that cost more last longer but if I watch sales and thrift stores, I can spend far less on better quality, sometimes less than a cheaper item.

• Wed, Nov 28 2012 4:39 PM In reply to

I truly believe it's worth buying the best in quality that I can afford. Amazing how often really good quality stuff ends up in thrift stores.  AM
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:18 AM In reply to

No discount running shoes or Sears shoes of any kind. No cheapo mp3 players, power tools, car jacks, or hand lotion.
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 4:42 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Anna Marie:
    Amazing how often really good quality stuff ends up in thrift stores.  AM

That's when I pick some of it up. Cheap yet high quality.

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:00 PM In reply to

I used to buy Walmart's Faded Glory brand jeans until I noticed how quickly they wear out. I mean, a few months? A year? Ridiculous! So I switched to Lee Riders. Still relatively inexpensive, a few dollars more than FG, but they wear like iron. I've got several pairs that I've had for over five years and they still look good.

And y'all know how I feel about thrift stores and finding good quality there. LOL!

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Thu, Dec 6 2012 7:12 PM In reply to

I find this to be true on so many things. Many have mentioned clothes and I agree. I normally spend $40 on pants (on sale) for work and they last me years. I also like to buy nicer kitchen appliances/tools. I can buy a cheap Chefs knife and replace it every year or every other year, but I'd rather buy a nicer one and not have to worry about rust or loose handles or anything that makes my job harder. I think frugality isn't about spending the least amount, but about making the most of your dollars.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 11:36 AM In reply to

If you check, you may find that your Lees are made in North Alabama and not by near-slave labor outside the US.  I used to wear Lees back when I wore jeans and yes, they are tough and fit real live female hips better than their competitors.

• Fri, Dec 7 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

littlepitcher:

If you check, you may find that your Lees are made in North Alabama and not by near-slave labor outside the US.  I used to wear Lees back when I wore jeans and yes, they are tough and fit real live female hips better than their competitors.

I just looked at a couple pairs of my jeans, and one pair was made in Mexico, the other in Haiti. :( Maybe some of the more expensive Lee jeans are made in the US, though. I think JC Penney and other mall stores carry them for about twice what Walmart charges. I can never really tell the difference, but maybe it's because the ones they sell are made in the US. I'll have to have a look next time I'm at the mall.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us