Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Anyone Shopping on Black Friday?

Last post Mon, Nov 26 2012 10:19 AM by MarthaMFI. 26 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 4:33 PM In reply to

Re: Anyone Shopping on Black Friday?

I did go out today to buy a pair of pajamas for one of my daughters for Christmas, BUT -- -- I went in around 8am, not late last night or 4am. The store was empty of customers and well stocked, and I didn't feel like I was risking my life to save $3. I think rushing out to go shopping on Thanksgiving is kind of missing the point of the day.

Also, I realized at some point over the past year that Black Friday isn't for *my* benefit, it's for the *store's* benefit. The "doorbuster" deals are for their cheapest, lowest quality items. How is that worth my money or my health & safety?

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 6:15 PM In reply to

Well, I went out this afternoon with DH (we were going to go out before lunch, but decided to wait a little longer), looking for gifts for the children whose wish lists we took from the tree at church last Sunday. We hit Barnes and Noble, Books A Million, Bed, Bath and Beyond, and Walmart. The only place we didn't spend money was Walmart. But we got really good deals, without having to fight the early morning crowds. There were a lot of people out and about, but things weren't nearly as bad as I thought they'd be.

We also stopped at a furniture store because I'm looking for a La-Z-Boy-style chair for a corner of my living room. Couldn't find one I really liked, so will keep looking. That's going to be my Christmas gift from DH this year, and I'm determined to get the nicest one I can for the least amount of money possible. LOL!

"The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 6:52 PM In reply to

Are you all kidding shop today oh hell no I might be slow to when it comes to things like this but I went to wqork no shopping for me I got my shopping done along time ago just need to wrap a few things and stuff some gift cards in envolopes.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 8:24 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Last evening, I went with DS#2 and Bean to Walmart and Peebles. I got 3 six quart Crockpots for the 3 DIL for $9.98 each, a WI game for Grandson that had been $80. for $38, Candy Land for $4. all that was Walmart. Then at Peebles I found an Alfred Dunner pants and top for my Mom. It was half price then I got another25 percent off the pants. Deerfoam slippers for DH for $4. and a Christmas dress for youngest grandaughter for $18. It had been $42. So good buys. We had fun together shopping . Crowds were not real bad. Walmart had a good plan for crowds .  Today we hit Staples for two packs of Duracell batteries. Will get full price back in Staples rewards. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Fri, Nov 23 2012 10:49 PM In reply to

Who me shop ( im nuts but Im not that nutty when it comes to shopping today, you might as well wear camo gear and helmet and combat boots, its war in those stores specially at walmart.

Cindy ---
  • Sun, Nov 25 2012 6:50 PM In reply to

Loveday:
    I'm sorry your daughter had to work yesterday. I hope they at least gave her double time. I'm kind of astounded that they made her work both yesterday AND today--you'd think they'd give their employees the choice of one or the other.

She had no choice, & she did not get double time pay, either. The one bright spot is that she has two jobs & the experience this year has moved her int he direction of thinking about quitting Kmart, which is the part time job. 

As an RN, I have worked MANY holidays, but most places I worked at least allowed you to choose one of the 3 "winter holidays" off (Christmas, Thanksgiving, or New Years) and one of the summer holidays off (Memorial Day, Labor Day & Independence Day).

I would bet that DD will be scheduled for every holiday at Kmart until/unless she gives notice.

• Mon, Nov 26 2012 10:19 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

they have it up here now plus cyper monday too. we are close to bellingham/seattle so they want to keep people shopping in canada.   I was working it.  did pick up a couple of deals at can. tire for dh but as he puts it they overprice it and then put it on sale.  like was $75 now $25 but it is $25 everywhere else.  they had real leather belts for $6.88 so got some for dh and fil for xmas. that was cheap.

I was demoing the keurig machines for the last four days and they were the cheapest I have ever seen them.almost half price so they were a great deal every where.  keurig is doing a big push in canada.

but other then that not much interests me.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 3 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us