Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

lampshades for CFL lightbulbs

Last post 03-09-2012 6:53 AM by directlight. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-12-2008 12:39 PM

• Kris
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-12-2008
    • Posts 1

lampshades for CFL lightbulbs

My problems is with the lampshades for the new energy saving CFL light bulbs.

The old fashioned 'harp' style does not fit over the new CFL bulbs. The shades

that sit over the fixture and then you screw the bulb in place to hold it sometimes doesn't work

because the bulb does not screw down far enough into the socket to make

contact. The type that fits over the bulb and is held in place by a

finial is sometimes is too close to the CFL bulb.In other words, the shade doesn't fit because the bulb

is too 'tall'. Any ideas?

• 01-12-2008 12:52 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Re: lampshades for CFL lightbulbs

I hope someone comes up with something, because I have one lamp they fit in and that's it. I have a floor lamp that the shade is too narrow to accommodate the lower end of the bulb, another one that takes two bulbs and the glass shade is too narrow and another one that takes a clip on shade which of course doesn't work with them. I use them in two ceiling fixtures (hall and office) but neither of the covers fit over them, so I leave them off.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 01-12-2008 5:23 PM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-10-2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

Just this week we went out and bought the CFL daylight bulbs and replaced the older CFL bulbs and as many incandescents as we could. I hated the orange glow of the older CFL bulbs. I tried one pack of the daylight bulbs and was hooked. The light they put out is much, much better; they are like having a skylight in each room.

I too have some desk lamps that have the shade that clamps on top of the bulb so haven't been able to replace those. I may just have to replace the lamp itself. Now I have a box full of the old bulbs. Any suggestions what to do with them?  E

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • 02-18-2008 12:53 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

Did anyone see this on Dollar Stretcher today?

CFL Bulbs and Lampshades 

It has some information about this problem that I found helpful!  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 03-02-2008 7:44 PM In reply to

I just went through my closets and cleaned out a bunch of stuff.  I also had a lot of regular bulbs left....so they are going to good will with the other stuff.  Get for tax deductions...

• 04-06-2008 10:26 PM In reply to

Hi. Regarding what to do with the old bulbs--I read something just recently about disposing of these bulbs.

We're not supposed to just throw them away like we used to; there are special things to do with them
    because of what they contain.
    But of course I can't remember where I saw the article; could you call your sanitation dept and check
    with them as to disposal?

• 06-26-2009 5:50 PM In reply to

There is now a solution to getting clip-on lampshades to fit the coiled spiral sahped CFL's! For the same amount of money it costs to buy a single round CFL bulb (about $4.00) you can buy a kit that will adapt FOUR CLIP-ON LAMPSHADES! Visit www.magictoob.com to find out more and see a demonstration!!

Jack

• 03-09-2012 6:53 AM In reply to

As per my knowledge, for whatever reason in tabletop lamps with a lampshade the CFL lights are ok. But when I use them in overhead lights I don't like the glow.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us