Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How To Shop At The Dollar Store

Last post Thu, Jan 24 2008 9:58 AM by Marlene Alexander. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 12 2008 10:21 AM

How To Shop At The Dollar Store

FOUR TIPS ON HOW TO SHOP AT THE DOLLAR STORE

1. For convenience, choose a dollar store chain that is large, neat and stocked like a mini department store. You'll save time by always knowing which aisle to look in for a notebook or a picture hanging kit. 

2. When you have the time, don't discount the smaller, less orgainized stores entirely. They may take a little longer to find but treasures can be found anywhere.

3. I find it best to buy an item I like when I see it. If you think it's pretty/useful/decorative, chances are others will too and you may not be able to find it again when you come back the following week or even the next day. This is especially true of seasonal merchandise.

4. Tastes vary and any store can be guilty of tacky merchandise but, as a guide, look for items that are similar to those you might find in a larger department store or your favourite decorating magazine and that are made of sturdy materials. 
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style
    Home Decor From The Dollar Store!

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 11:28 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: How To Shop At The Dollar Store

Marlene Alexander:
    1. For convenience, choose a dollar store chain that is large, neat and stocked like a mini department store. You'll save time by always knowing which aisle to look in for a notebook or a picture hanging kit. 

Do the dollar store chains in your area usually set up their stores in the same way?

I wish the stores here would consider this. Very few whether they are dollar stores or not do this. I shop in different towns and usually stop at chain stores in those areas. It would help me to quickly find what I need if I wasn't having to recall where this particular store puts items.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 11:58 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

There's a Dollar General here that's a mess. It's set up so awkwardly that it's even hard to find the cash register, and it's crammed full of stuff. I never go there unless I have plenty of time, but they do have some good buys on groceries especially.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Jan 12 2008 12:17 PM In reply to

Brandy:

I wish the stores here would consider this. Very few whether they are dollar stores or not do this. I shop in different towns and usually stop at chain stores in those areas. It would help me to quickly find what I need if I wasn't having to recall where this particular store puts items.

This must be the brainchild of Dollarama. This company is based in Quebec. The Buck of Two here is pretty well organized but I still find that they're a bit "all over the place" with certain things. You're right, 'though, Brandy. If every store would take the aisle by aisle approach, they would attract more business.
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 12:23 PM In reply to

Pat:

There's a Dollar General here that's a mess. It's set up so awkwardly that it's even hard to find the cash register, and it's crammed full of stuff. I never go there unless I have plenty of time, but they do have some good buys on groceries especially.

Oh Dear! This would be what my mom used to call a "junk store." They flourished here for quite a time but the larger franchises seem to have snuffed them out. If only these little stores would organize! They must think that "more is better" but if nobody can find what they're looking for and can't take the time to find it, what's the point? If things are too cluttered, you can walk right by what you're looking for without even seeing it.
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 12:35 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 6 2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,463

Marlene Alexander:
    If things are too cluttered, you can walk right by what you're looking for without even seeing it.

I'm sure I've done that!. Sometimes the only way I can find things is because I remember finding them before and make a real effort to see if they still have them.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • Sat, Jan 12 2008 1:02 PM In reply to

The stores here are well organized, just the same stuff though.  I know what to go looking for at the dollar stores..cards, gift wrap, seasonal decorative stuff, cheap craft/kids stuff, some cheap household stuff like rubber gloves.  food wise is it mostly the same things so unless I need cheap cookies/candy there is not much else I use there.

My Family's Interests
  • Sat, Jan 12 2008 1:11 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Pat:
    There's a Dollar General here that's a mess. It's set up so awkwardly that it's even hard to find the cash register

I can find the register for our Dollar General but they often have extra things shoved near the door and down the center of the store. They also often have boxes stacked in front of the aisles making it impossible to reach some things.

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 1:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Marlene,

The Dollar General and Family Dollar  are the large chain discount general merchandise stores. The Dollar Tree is the chain everything $1 store and the only one in my area at all now.

• Sat, Jan 12 2008 8:55 PM In reply to

My Family's Interests:

The stores here are well organized, just the same stuff though.  I know what to go looking for at the dollar stores..cards, gift wrap, seasonal decorative stuff, cheap craft/kids stuff, some cheap household stuff like rubber gloves.  food wise is it mostly the same things so unless I need cheap cookies/candy there is not much else I use there.

Do you have Dollarama in B.C?
    Marlene
    Dollar Store Style

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us