Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Making Your Own Mixes

Last post Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:18 AM by OnMyWay. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 7 2012 5:52 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Making Your Own Mixes

Do you make your own mixes for baking, cooking and substituting homemade for convenience items?

What are your favorite mixes?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 8:33 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Making Your Own Mixes

When our nest was full, we made a lot of mixes--using the Make a Mix cookbook.  Now, it's just the 2 of us. Party!!!

Now: pankcake mix, brownies, muffins/sweet breads, cakes mostly. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sat, Nov 10 2012 10:07 AM In reply to

Not really.  I did used to make the Bisquick mix when my kids were little but since I used very few convenience foods, I really had no need for them.

Susan
    It's all about Love!
  • Sat, Nov 10 2012 11:25 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make them up all the time  this weekend my SIl and DIl are making a bunch of mixex

VNW gaive me  make a mix booke and i have brought several of them now we use them all the time .                                                                                       

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:08 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

I keep a home-made Bisquick mix and a sweet-bread mix on hand.  I also make my own pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon sugar.  I keep already cooked hamburger with onions, celery, and green peppers in the freezer.  It's not exactly a mix -- but a recipe found in the Make-a-Mix cookbook. When we had kids around, I would make my own slice and bake cookies and store them in the freezer.  I also used to keep a big bowl of the Raisin Bran Muffin batter and the Angel Biscuit batter in my fridge.  But with our household down to only 2, there's no value in making these in such large quantities.

Update -- I added links to the recipes for the Raisin Bran Muffin mix and Angel Biscuits.

• Sun, Nov 11 2012 9:02 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

rolo:
    made a lot of mixes--using the Make a Mix cookbook.

I still don't have that book. Is it really worth getting?

• Sun, Nov 11 2012 11:16 AM In reply to

• bug
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2012
    • Posts 47

Now that I think about it, I guess I do make several mixes. I always have the "cream of something" mix on hand. I make cream of mushroom soup from scratch and freeze it, but nice to have the mix too. I make mixes for a lot of seasonings, but mostly Italian salad dressing, taco seasoning, onion soup mix, gravy mix and things like that.
  • Sun, Nov 11 2012 4:17 PM In reply to

Brandy, I have both the "make a mix cookbook" and the second one  "more make a mix cookbbook".  some of the recipes are real duds for me, but overall they are well worth the money they cost.  have had them both for ages, and the first one is about worn out from use, the pages are beginning to fall out, so that tells you how often i use them.  Maybe your library would have a copy you could look at before deciding to buy one.

• Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:29 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

mtviolet:
    some of the recipes are real duds for me, but overall they are well worth the money they cost.

I feel the same way for the Top Recipe Secrets books I have. I only use a couple of recipes but the price was beyond worth it to have them. I have saved so much over the years with making some delicious food at home from scratch.

• Mon, Nov 12 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

I "think" that you can google around and find all the mixes/recipes to use mixes on the internet.  I was fortunate and found a used copy for a couple of dollars at a rummage sale. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us