Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cooking Once a Month: Breakfast

Last post Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:31 PM by ogram. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:32 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cooking Once a Month: Breakfast

Breakfast is a healthy start to the day. Cooking once a month or food prepping for dinners has been known to save money and time. What about breakfast?

Do you have any ideas for once a month cooking with breakfast foods?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 5:57 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2008
    • Posts 169

Re: Cooking Once a Month: Breakfast

When I make pancakes I'll cook up several batches to freeze. Then we pop them in the microwave to eat. So we only have to cook pancakes once a month or so. I've also pre-made breakfast burritos for a week... I've heard they would freeze very well, but I've never tried.
  • Wed, Oct 24 2012 7:12 PM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 19 2010
    • Posts 99

I've cooked up scrambled eggs in an 9x13 pan in the oven with onions, mushrooms, bacon or sausage, or just plain, and cut into squares, then cooked up biscuits, placed the squares of egg inside, individually wrapped, and froze.  It makes a quick breakfast to have an "egg mcbiscuit" with a piece of fruit. When the eggs are scrambled like omelot and frozen they aren't noticebly different when paired with a biscuit.  I just zap in microwave for 30 seconds (thawed from night before) but may take a bit longer to microwave from frozen. 

We also freeze large batches of pancakes and waffles, muffins, sweetbreads like from pumpkin, banana, apple.

• Wed, Oct 24 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

I think for something like this breakfast bakes/casseroles... bulk breakfast sandwiches and burritos - individually wrapped and frozen, homemade potato/peppers/onions hash, obrien or country chunk style in bulk, bulk whole grain pancakes and waffles... are all good options for those looking to bulk cook once a month for that entire month. I know people here also like to bulk cook oatmeal and freeze, I have not tried that but would be handy for those who want to do it this way. Eggs, fresh smoothies, fresh fruit, etc can all easily be prepared fast and fresh but the options above require more cooking time so once a month style works well. I also want to recommend bulk cooking squash puree. It makes a lovely topping for oatmeal/grains... hot cakes and waffles... or enjoyed as is - it's so delicious and very nutritious.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Oct 25 2012 12:50 AM In reply to

Crockpot Steel Cut Oatmeal Freezes well :O) love that it's ready 24/7 all I have to do is pull out run container under water & pop out the oatmeal & nuke.. it's great for me for work on the weekends since I start at 4 am :O) so later in the AM I can nuke when ready to eat...
    http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Thu, Oct 25 2012 10:07 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I make pancake, french toast breakfast bowls  do breakfast burritos

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Oct 25 2012 1:20 PM In reply to

Making a few batches of breakfast smoothies and freezing them in those plastic freezer pint jars works really well. I've also made "quiche in a bag", which is everything that goes in a quiche (eggs, cheese, vegetables, etc.) in a ziploc bag and frozen. Thawed overnight and baked in either a pastry shell or a really well greased casserole pan makes a good hand-held breakfast.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:30 PM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

Once upon a time in the early days of the Internet, there were two ladies who posted a LOT of information about OAMC including various plans and the recipes to go with them.  One of these was Robbyn Snider whose site was located at snider.mardox.com.  The other was Beth whose site was hardys.freeservers.com.  Sadly, both of these sites are gone.  BUT, they were archived by the Wayback Machine and the pages which they had posted can still be retrived.  (I did, however, print off all that I could find so that if the Wayback Machine ever ran out of disk storage and started purging the old stuff, I'd still have this information.  Robbyn posted her breakfast plan which included Instant Oatmeal Packets, Breakfast Burritos, Egg McMoms, Morning Cookies, Ham and Cheese Pocket, Angel Biscuits, Breakfast Casserole, and Omelet Pouches.  She also had separate pages with assorted muffins and breakfast barsBeth's breakfast plan includes a variety of breakfast burritos, pancakes, waffles, and McMom breakfast sandwiches.

• Thu, Oct 25 2012 3:21 PM In reply to

Y'know, I think my quiche in a bag idea might be based off of those omelet pouches! I think the Friendly Freezer list is still around in Yahoo Groups.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Oct 25 2012 8:31 PM In reply to

• ogram
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 19 2010
    • Posts 99

Another kind of muffins I have made and frozen are sausage and cheese, ham and cheese, and bacon and cheese, using cooked meat in pieces, either shredded or chunk cheese, and a regular muffin recipe without the sugar and spices unless using garlic or other spices that go well with the meats using.  I have also made breakfast pizza on cooked crust and divided and packaged individually for freezer.  Calzones is another one you can make with ham, swiss, and spinach, and would be good for breakfast too.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us