Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Picnic wedding food ideas

Last post Wed, Oct 17 2012 1:12 PM by BargainBinge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 14 2012 7:00 PM

Picnic wedding food ideas

My sister is doing a picnic for her wedding and we are having trouble coming up with a menu.  Does anyone have any good recipes for fancy sandwiches?  Or any picnic side dish that doesn't contain mayo?  The food will need to be without refridgeration for awhile so we want to stay away from things that will spoil quickly.  My sister and her fiance are vegetarians so any vegetarian ideas would be especially appreciated.  She does plan on meat as an option for the guests though.
  • Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:02 PM In reply to

Re: Picnic wedding food ideas

You have come to the right place! We all love helping plan these sorts of things. Are you looking for cold picnic sandwiches only or warm as well? Crossaints, artisan breads and Italian foccasia bread all make great elite sandwiches! Wraps and flat bread are also popular... and warm paninis are a big hit for many. You can make A LOT of great warm vegetarian paninis. Do you want them all vegetarian? how about cheese? It's all in the gourmet cheese! and good veggie flllings... spreads like hummus... avocado... no mayo needed!!! Marinated grilled veggie fillings, hot or cold... I can totally dish out some good ideas here. Cold Italian pasta salad, I love pesto!, makes a great mayo free side and another big hit with crowds. Tell me more about what you are looking for, cold only, hot and cold, etc. and I can dish out ideas like no tomorrow. Trust me, I LOVE THIS!!! Details and you get a truckload of ideas from me, send more details!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:34 PM In reply to

Thank you BargainBinge!  It is going to be cold food only.  They eat eggs and cheese and want to have nonvegatarian sandwiches as well.  We are hoping to put them together the day before, but we realize it may not be possible (due to them being soggy)... 

• Sun, Oct 14 2012 9:38 PM In reply to

The BB Wedding Planner at YOUR service!

I'm going to just start with base ideas and then get into sandwich pairing ideas.

Breads: You will want a few different kinds of bread items.

- Crossiants, I have always found these a bit posh.

- Herb foccasia bread, a delicious must!

- Whole grain or spinach wraps, these are a big hit these days even if not fancy - you can jazz them up

- Artisan multi-grain rolls

Spreads:

- Cream cheese

- Hummus

- Avocado - has to be done last minute or it will start to brown

- Cranberry

- Olive oil and fresh herbs

- A nice dijon mustard

Remember Greek plain yogurt is a great sub for mayo and waldorph chicken or tropical turkey salad - great with the crossaints!!!

Cheese: It's all about the cheese... Splurge here...

- Havarti

- Smoke Gouda

- Sharp Cheddar

- Pepper Jack

- Swiss

Non Meat Fillings:

- Grilled eggplant (served cold)

- Grilled portabello mushroom (served cold)

- Grilled zucchini (served cold)

- Grilled red peppers (served cold, a must)

(All can be grilled the night before or same day, they will be fine cold and still have a nice grill taste)

- Mayo free egg salad... replace mayo with plain Greek yogurt

- Assorted raw veggie fillings and fixings - marinated artichoke hearts = a must!

Meat Fillings:

- Grilled chicken breasts

- Turkey breast, sliced

- Tri tip if they can afford it and tolerate it on their menu

Now let me do some pairings...

Crossaints: Homestyle mayo free egg salad sandwiches with fresh sliced tomatoes and sunflower sprouts or butter leaf lettuce... Turkey, cranberry and cream cheese sandwiches...

Good Sides for these: Cold roasted red potatoes with garlic, rosemary and evoo (cube the red potatoes and roast with the evoo, garlic and rosemary, chill and serve cold)... pickle platter (especially good with the egg salad sandwiches!)... side of cold/cooked green beans tossed lightly with a nice dijon mustard

Foccasia: Grilled chicken, tomato, basil  with evoo/herb spread and provolone... Vegetarian cold grilled veggies with smoked gouda and evoo/herb spread...

Good Sides for these: Antipasto platter... cold Italian pasta salad (tortellini work great for this)... cold marinated grilled veggie platter...

Wraps: Hummus, Persian cucumber, tomato and baby spinach... Sliced grilled chicken, pepper jack, avocado and spicy sprouts (radish, cilantro, arugula all work well) or baby arugula

Good Sides for these: Quinoa tabuloi (spelling please?)... Southwestern black bean and corn salad... cottage cheese/chive or cilantro stuffed tomatoes or feta stuffed bell peppers...

Artisan Rolls: Grilled portabello mushroom with dijon and Swiss... Tri tip, grilled red onions, sharp cheddar...

Good Sides for these: Cold balsamic and blue cheese brussels sprouts... "loaded" potato salad w.Greek yogurt or sour cream sub... deviled eggs - a favorite of many. I make mine with cream cheese, red pepper relish and creole spices!

Those are just some small ideas. You can jazz any sandwich up to make it more elite with the right combo of ingredients...Gourmet cheese... pesto... marinated artichoke hearts... grilled veggies... fancy greens... a homemade cranberry sauce... a fancy mustard, etc. can all give an instant Hollywood makeover lol

I think a fresh fruit salad and a nice garden green tossed salad are always acceptable and desirable sides. You can mix and match sides depending on your sandwich theme so it all ties together. I think Italian theme works really well for this one and can be done elite, within budget and vegetarian friendly too.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:59 PM In reply to

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas!  We actually are going to have a picnic lunch tomorrow and are going to try out turkey ideas.  My sister will be tasting it with tofurkey.  :)  One will be turkey, cheddar, sliced apple, and cranberry mustard.  The other is Turkey, pesto, artichokes, and swiss.  I'm surprising her, so I hope that she doesn't see this, but I gave her the link so she can see your post....  Oh well.  :)
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:06 PM In reply to

What is tri tip?

• Mon, Oct 15 2012 9:36 PM In reply to

I was so going to recommend apple with cheddar or gouda but wasn't sure if it would be too plain. I love the ideas! I have had the tofuturkey... not a fan at ALL. Let me know what you two think??? Tri tip... oh it's a very expensive cut of steak, I figured that if they were not all veggie sandwiches then the hardcore meaters would love tri tip over veggie or lean meat options. Let me know how you two like that tofu turkey though... I think it would be a hard one to pull off at a big wedding because the taste, well, you will see.
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 10:00 PM In reply to

Ps when is the wedding? I am assuming it's next season as it's getting cold out for picnics? is it super soon and still hot there or are you planning way ahead?
  • Mon, Oct 15 2012 11:37 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:
    Ps when is the wedding? I am assuming it's next season as it's getting cold out for picnics? is it super soon and still hot there or are you planning way ahead?

Hows does this grab ya a menu 

cheese platter with deli meats to go with it

veggie dips with a veggie platter

bread of different kinds

different mustards and some mayo and certain butters and margarines

have a buffett type line so the wedding guests can choose dinner foods this is only table snacks if you prefer that then cool serve the snacks instead of dinner but this is more of a earlier in the afternoon type weddings the menu bargin wrote out is good and make a list and stick to those foods anybody in the wedding party can help cook some stuff while others can help too have the guys help with tables and chairs and the cake table adorn with lacey type table cloth you can get at a thrift shop or walmart the put the cake right there on the table looking nice.

My neice just got married and she is the oldest neice of 23 out of my middle sisters set of kids she did this at her wedding and to boot she put wedding skells at the edge of the table cloth my neice is into that stuff and the wedding was a smash good for her and now they are married so good luck to this wedding party.

Cindy ---
  • Wed, Oct 17 2012 12:55 PM In reply to

I didn't eat the tofurkey.  My sister did.  The plan would be regular turkey, but by making her one with tofurkey, my sister could sort of taste what the turkey sandwich would be like without eating meat.  She actually likes tofurkey.  I have never tried it.  We liked the pesto, artichoke one a lot.  We liked the other combo too (cranberry spread, turkey, cheddar) but the herbed bread overpowered it.  She loves the idea of something with apple since the wedding is going to take place in an apple orchard (hopefully while the apple blossoms are in bloom).  We're thinking of trying it again on a crossiant.  The wedding will be in May 2013, so we do have awhile to figure it all out.  She is thinking about doing ham or maybe roast beef in addition to those as well as two vegetarian sandwiches.  Money is very tight for them so roast beef may wind up being too pricey but I think they both can tolerate beef on their menu.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us