Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Getting Rid of the Smell of Smoke

Last post Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:41 AM by Tussiemussies. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 2:07 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Getting Rid of the Smell of Smoke

Cigarette smoke can leave an odor and even a discoloring film on things around the house? How can you freshen the air and furniture? Can this film be prevented?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Sep 26 2012 2:46 PM In reply to

Re: Getting Rid of the Smell of Smoke

uggg gross I was going to ask this my dad sold the 5th wheel and no one smoked in this but someone smoked in the motor home dad just bought and I was going to ask what type of air freshner works with it to at least to get the gross after smell out.

Cindy ---
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 3:48 PM In reply to

Sorry can't help on this one. Cig smoke makes me ill to the gut... can't be around it and can't stand the smell or smoking in general.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 3:55 PM In reply to

My father smoked almost three packs of cigarettes a day up til a few weeks before he died (of lung cancer among other things, no surprise there), and when we went into his apartment to clear it out and clean, you can imagine the smell and the film. We had to get rid of the upholstered furniture, it was beyond help, but I managed to salvage the coffee table and the china cupboard. It took several cleanings with Murphy's Oil Soap to get the sticky nicotine residue (it was a weird orange colour, very bizarre) off the wood, but the pieces finally looked and smelled much, much better.
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 4:11 PM In reply to

We don't allow smoking in our house, we have seating outside for the smokers in the family. My parents had to repaint the inside of their house because of the smoking in the house. They quit smoking in the house for years until Dad had a stroke last year and now they are back to smoking inside. Mom uses alot of fabreze to combat the smell.
    Riley
  • Wed, Sep 26 2012 4:51 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    can't be around it and can't stand the smell or smoking in general

My husband and I are non smokers but my parents both smoke as does my mother-in-law.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Sep 28 2012 4:38 PM In reply to

• Zippo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 19 2012
    • Posts 2

An inexpensive eco friendly solution to improving indoor air quality and remove offensive smoking or pet odors. Air-ReNu is a blend of natural rare earth minerals made of a variety of elements, aluminum, iron, magnesium, sodium, potassium and lithium. These minerals are finely ground then mixed with paint, when applied to a wall of a home. Air-ReNu, works 7/24/365 cleansing the air of impurities and removing odors.

• Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:41 AM In reply to

Don't think the film can be prevented. If a person has quit smoking, they can reprint the walls with Dutch Boy paint that is called refresh, it wicks odors away and lasts as long as the paint is on your wall!
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us