Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Learning How to Cook

Last post Tue, Jan 8 2008 11:03 AM by Dutch Treat. 25 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 2 2008 9:58 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Learning How to Cook

Cooking from scratch can save you money but what happens if you have spent years relying on eating out and convenience foods or just starting out as a self-sufficient adult? How do you get started with learning to cook?

The first step is gaining the basic skills:

Cooking 101 has an excellent set of instructions on cooking that begins with the basics, lists for necessary pots and utensils and lists for essential foods to keep on hand.

Meal making begins with basic skills 

Kitchen 101

This informational posting was inspired by comments in the January 2008 Food Stamp discussion. Check the conversation out for more links on cooking tips or if you need tips on using food stamps.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 2 2008 10:00 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Learning How to Cook

For those here who already know how to cook...where did you learn?

• Wed, Jan 2 2008 10:21 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I learned a lot from an Aunt that lived next door when I was growing up. My Mom worked and didnt cook  a lot. I still use a lot of my Aunt's receipes. When I married and moved to NE, I found a few cookbooks and ask people for their receipes. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 2 2008 10:25 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

The Food Network was advised in the food stamp discussion as a good place for info.

I found they have cooking guides.  

• Wed, Jan 2 2008 10:58 AM In reply to

Probably like most others, my mother & her mother taught me.  I also learned from a seventh-grade home economiocs course.  (Eight-grade was sewing; seventh was cooking.  I did not pick up a cookbook until late in high school.

Back in those days (the late 50's & early 60's), there weren't many convenience foods on the market, so it was either cook or be stu ck with canned tuna & PB&J.

Yours in Him, Deb

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Wed, Jan 2 2008 11:09 AM In reply to

• Edey
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 10 2007
    • Los Angeles County, CA
    • Posts 3,869

I had home economics in high school for 3 years, but for some reason I really didn't absorb it very well. Never had as much interest in cooking as much as baking, baking was an art form!  Betty Crocker cookbooks were my help in being a newlywed. Even then I only had a few ways of cooking hamburger or chicken, which is about all we could afford. I knew nothing about cooking fresh veggies. It wasn't until years later when we got the Food Network on cable that I started paying attention to being a better cook. There was little else to watch on TV on Saturday when I was crashing after working all week.  I learned or re-learned how to cook watching Tyler Florence, Rachael Ray, Giada DeLaurentis and most of all Paula Deen. They did the basic down to earth food, not the gourmet. I watched their techniques and it helped quite a bit. E

Edey's Vintage and Current Needlework Blog

Life is like a quilt - it is made beautiful from all the little pieces stitched together.

Use a HandCranked tool, it doesn't need to be plugged in or charged up!

Treadle sewing machines. Get a workout and save electricity all at the same time. Plus it can go anywhere, even outdoors!

READ THE ARCHIVES! It'll do you good.
  • Wed, Jan 2 2008 11:18 AM In reply to

I'm still learning how. I could cook the way that mom taught me (kinda) but since I'm having to eat a different way, I'm learning by trial and error. For me that's the best way... silly thing is though, the new movie, Ratatouille, is kind of my motivation (the phrases "Anyone can cook" along with "the only limit is your spirit"). Smile

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • Wed, Jan 2 2008 11:20 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Lioness,

In what ways is your cooking different from your Mother's?

Page 1 of 3 (26 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us