Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Does Anyone Can Water for Storage?

Last post Mon, Jul 16 2012 12:59 AM by zohnerfarms. 15 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (16 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: Does Anyone Can Water for Storage?

mtviolet:

Babs, I also do what  Grame said, I always fill the canner and sometimes it is with a jar of water, i use saved "used" lids, if they don't seal, no loss.  figure I have to store the jars anyway, might as well have them full of water in case I need it.  Also, when i re-use the lids they seal just fine.  So far this year I have had one not seal out of 20+. 

I am not loosing anything if the lid doesn't seal, and I am gaining some water storage if it does.  I have been doing this about 5 years now.  when it is time to can food in the jars, I just open and dump the water onto the garden.  really helps in the jar washing department too.  no surprise spiders have taken up residence, or dust in the jars.  so much easier to wash them and can.  to me this is a no-brainer. 

for me it is just an easy way to make use of expensive lids, and space. 

Oh, MAN! Why haven't I done this before?! It seems like such an obvious way to do things, and I love the reusing lids idea too.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Tue, Jul 10 2012 7:08 PM In reply to

I store water in 2 liter soda bottles, & have had it keep well for 6 months to 1 year.  We "rotate" the water when drought conditions do not allow watering of the garden in July or August, & guess where we dump the "old" water??

I think storing some "canned" water is a good idea, because you never know when some sterilized water will come in handy.  Using bottles to "fill" the empty spots in the canner seems like an intelligent way to do it to me, especially with re-used lids.

• Tue, Jul 10 2012 11:44 PM In reply to

HI z. yes its agood idea to use cannedwater just I never atempt it but I use the tap water put a drop or a water sterlizor in it and shut it off for 6 months myself never canned it just soda bottles we have here at the house I wash it dry it good and use them instead and a rain berral and 2 big water jug things they work out fine just don't for get to date them and use them in 6 months.

• Wed, Jul 11 2012 2:45 AM In reply to

Babs, the next time you have a canner that you don't have enough full jars to fill, try a jar of water and see how it works for you.  All you can do is try it, every city water system is different. 
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 7:38 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I will try it. Beans should be ready to can soon, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Jul 16 2012 12:59 AM In reply to

I think I will try it also.  I have summer squash that is ready to can.

Page 2 of 2 (16 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us