Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Title Change--Inventory/Menu/Shop

Last post 08-09-2012 6:34 PM by LauraElizabeth. 82 replies.
Page 3 of 9 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-08-2012 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: Use it First!! Stop over spending!!!

I try very hard not to waste food. Sometimes it happens. I go through my cabinets two times per year and go through everything, including spices. The things that are near expiration go in a box to be used up. Just today I used canned pumpkin in my oatmeal and canned green beans as a side dish. I rarely eat canned veggies, but they were part of my emergency supplies and needed to be used up.

Since I'm single, it's a challenge to keep up with the fresh produce. I plan my meals around what I have. I use tupperware to keep foods fresh. I freeze some things before they go bad so they can be used later on.

I have a small freezer and limited storage space, so I always have to keep a balance. I just used up almost the last of my pasta, and as luck would have it, there was a BOGO sale on Barilla. I had a coupon too. So I got a nice variety of pasta for a good price.

One advantage to living alone is that it's easier to use portion control. Also, there is no mystery meat in the back of my fridge. I know what was used up and what wasn't. I also only buy foods that I like.

We each have individual issues to deal with. But we can still help each other on our dollar stretching journey. Good luck to all!

• 07-08-2012 6:13 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

One of the best ways to control spending at the grocery store--be organized! 

Create a price book so you have a very good idea of the cost of the items you buy most frequently.  Inventory the contents of your cabinets, freezer, fridge, pantry.  Write a list of the meals that your family likes and you fix repeatedly.  Make a weekly menu plan for all meals using your inventory list/favorite meals list.  After that, write your grocery list.  If you coupon, get those organized.  I'm skipping over that becasue I don't coupon.  

Add up the cost of your items on the grocery list, using your price book for a reference.  Let's assume your list comes to $56.  Now, here is the simple solution to the overspending:  Take only $60 in cash with you to the grocery store.  Leave the check book, the debit card, the credit card, and large sums of extra cash at home, where they belong.  If the estimated cost of your items equals $56, and you only have $60 in cash that gives you $4.00 of wiggle room for forgotten items or an increase in cost on some items.  When you leave the means to spend at home, it makes it very difficult to impulse spend. 

For many, weekly shopping is a habit rather than a need.  Right now, we are actually in the process of building our stockpile of food/household items so we are purposely spending more each month for the next few months.  However, a planned, budgeted increase in spendingis not overspending. 

I find many new tips/ideas when reading the topics others post and/or reply to. I'm interested in reading about your updates and strategies for your shopping trips so please share! Big Smile

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 07-09-2012 7:32 AM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-04-2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,425

Martha Sometimes it is not as easy yo empty a extra freezer. I was there. Last year I was there. I only use the freezer in the damage when I had a over flow during the summer/ Hated to use it when I did. Know I miss having the extra. So I went got some fresh produce and canned begs yesterday. So I should be good for the month on begs. Only thing I have left to get is eggs. So I will be having fun using what I have.
  • 07-09-2012 9:48 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Yep, I missunderstood.  I read as you were wanting everyone to not buy ahead for anything and save the money instead.  Sorry.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 07-09-2012 9:02 PM In reply to

Thanks so much BargainBinge.  I truly appreciate your time and effort in helping me, as well as all you offer to everyone on the board.  You're a real "bright spot".  Now to get some curry and coconut milk!

I like your chicken, broccoli, rice plan too.

• 07-09-2012 9:04 PM In reply to

Thanks for everyone's helpful tips right now we have a health issue w/ DD ( who came home today) she is having gallbladder issues ( pending surgery for removal  surgerion appointment tomorrow to discussed) things make her sick(vomit/pain just plan ill)dd had surgery in April and stayed at grandma's for 2 months (March-Currently) we have been slacking..

We use to be more organized and better on track less spending when I did premade meal but for the summer plus ...I am to blame...that is why I am trying to get back on track...did a inventory of the house (too hot at 2 PM this afternoon to do a full freezer inventory as my freezer is outside and it's 113 *F) but I have a good idea of what is in there...(Costco stir fry veggies /beans/misc individual portions??? and 5 pounds of ground meat invidually frozen in 1 pound packages.) so I budgeted $60 spent $28 as I needed fresh things.

Updated total $ 27.69 plus the $5.00 from yesterday

• Gallon of milk on sale $1.57 (drinking/pudding/smoothies)
    • Sour Cream $1.79 (toppings)
    • 3 package of straberries $.97 each(Desserts and smoothies)
    • 2 package of blueberries $4.00 ( (Desserts and smoothies)
    • 1 celery $1.29 (pasta salad & freeze extra for soup)
    • 2 ears of corn .29 cents for dd
    • 1 bottle of ketchup $1.00
    • Turkey Breast pieces $3.07 (2 meals) into freezer
    • 2 jar of spaghetti sauce $1.49 each (meals)
    • Lunchable $1.00 for dd tomorrow at work
    • 3 candy bars $2.67 (better then $22.00 for lunch out)
    • 1 package of tortillas $1.49

Monday Dinner will be 1/2 pound of ground chicken w/ half of jar of pasta sauce (leftover sauce frozen for use later)

Dessert- greek frozen yogurt w/ fresh berries

Tuesday Breakfast/Lunch- on the go dd has a dr apt at 11 so bagel & milk for me in car pick something up for her after appt.

Tuesday Dinner- Leftovers in frig (veggie pizza leftovers) dd will have lunchable she will be at her volunteer work 3 pm-9 pm

Wednesday-Breakfast-bagel & milk for me lunch time pasta salad (using up leftover veggies)

Wednesday Dinner- Turkey Breast Pieces Corn on the cob-Salad/Veggies

Thursday- Breakfast-Yogurt berries Smoothies

Lunch-pasta salad (using up leftover veggies) and fruits

Dinner -Fix it yourself for dd

Dessert- greek frozen yogurt w/ fresh berries for me  

Friday- Breakfast-Yogurt berries Smoothies

Lunch-pasta salad (using up leftover veggies) and fruits

Dinner -Fix it yourself for dd

Dessert- greek frozen yogurt w/ fresh berries for me

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 07-10-2012 11:02 PM In reply to

Abbie, you are so cool. Hugs. How did the curry go?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 07-10-2012 11:22 PM In reply to

Abbie:

Thanks so much BargainBinge.  I truly appreciate your time and effort in helping me, as well as all you offer to everyone on the board.  You're a real "bright spot".  Now to get some curry and coconut milk!

I like your chicken, broccoli, rice plan too.

eww eooow did I hear curry great on chicken and rice and curry stew now you got my attention.

• 07-11-2012 12:35 PM In reply to

NO one else shopping from their pantries/ freezers?????

I am trying to get set for the next 6 days of work (schedule change) I normally work Thur-Sun but my schedule is changing to Sat-Tuesday but since it changed I work 6 days in a row getting off work at 9 pm on Tuesday night followed the next morning dd is having surgery and has to be at hospital at 630 AM so this next week will be wildly crazy...(dd will be staying at grandma's for a few days since they are home over the weekend & I work don't want her left home alone in case of any issues from surgery) I must budget next week to use money at hospital since we will be there 2 days with no major shopping other then for fresh items next week we have enough food until the following week since we will be mostly at my mom's where I will eat during the time she is staying over...so day one I will end up eating 3 meals at hosptial I know from last time food prices can be high (brought all my drinks and snacks from home) will do the same this time (Soda is $1.50 a bottle and water is the same) and with me not eating beef and pork I have to really watch what I get and salad is not an option due to the 35 cents per oz price..(may just order pizza since I can get a large for under $10 mom & I can split it and throw the leftovers in the cooler with my drinks that I will leave in car..).....

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/

Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 3
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• 07-11-2012 1:52 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-04-2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,425

I am using what I have on hands. Only thing I need know is eggs. It is nice to be using what I have.
Page 3 of 9 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us