Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

PREPPING: SUGAR and other sweetners

Last post Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:43 PM by spiderdust. 12 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (13 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:32 AM In reply to

• Peanut
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 17 2011
    • Suburbs of Boston, MA
    • Posts 141

Re: PREPPING: SUGAR and other sweetners

I hope your stevia does really well!!

Is anyone here a stevia guru?  I have never used it, but would be interested in learning how to use it.  Do you dry the leaves, or boil out the extract to save?  I would be using it mostly for cooking/baking, so using a leaf wouldn't be the ideal form in many cases.  Does anyone have a good reference on growing/using plant sugars (web or print)?  I wonder if sugar cane would even grow up here...

Oh!  Another question - does anyone have a "sweetener plant" that they're growing indoors?  (Can you tell, gardening is NOT a talent here?!)

Thanks, everyone!!

Babbling regularly at PeanutsAlmanac.Blogspot.com
  • Wed, Jul 4 2012 11:03 AM In reply to

Hi, Peanut.

I buy liquid Stevia Glycerite by NOW. Each stevia brand tastes a little different, so you may want to try it before stocking up. I get an 8 oz bottle from Amazon.com which costs about 50 percent less per oz than the 2 oz bottles in the health food store. I haven't used it in cooking, but I make iced tea with it all the time. I boil a half a gallon of water and soak four tea bags for 5 minutes. I then add 1/4 cup of sugar and 1/2 tsp. of stevia. It reduces the calorie count per glass to almost nothing, if that's a concern for you.

Stevia alone is too bitter for me. Many people can use the powered form, but I find that to be horrible. The 8 oz bottle of liquid stevia lasts me about 9 months. I live alone. Iced tea is my regular beverage along with hot tea and water.

I haven't used stevia in cooking, but I know there are cookbooks that specifically use stevia as the sweetener.

I'm sure others will give you more information. Good luck in your search. 

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

I had some French Vanilla flavored liquid stevia once that I thought might be nice in my coffee, but it had a strange aftertaste. Considering that I can handle powdered stevia in coffee (but not in Koolaid -- much too bitter!) I figured the flavoring was to blame. I may try just plain liquid at some point.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 2 of 2 (13 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us