Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Drought conditions?

Last post 05-30-2013 9:24 AM by mamasjob2. 89 replies.
Page 3 of 9 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-06-2012 11:52 PM In reply to

Re: Drought conditions?

We are getting pretty desperate for rain. This is a warning to the rest of you (in case you hadn't followed the news) of the prices going up again on foods of all kinds. We have a cornfield that butts up against our back yard and it has been interesting to say the least to watch it. It is now beginning to show stress. Today was 101. A cool front is coming tomorrow they say (thanks Nebraska for sending it on). Just in 80's. Have not had to mow the lawn for about 3 weeks!
  • 07-07-2012 12:06 AM In reply to

We're still in the 100s here ... water company just issued a lawn-watering ban (which thankfully doesn't extend to vegetable gardens.)  The farmers here are talking about losing 30 to 40 percent of the corn crop if we get rain ... it will be worse if the drought continues.

• 07-07-2012 9:03 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

We are during well put yes we have our rain barrel and water  we are careful with our water we know full well what happen when water problems happen 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-10-2012 5:36 PM In reply to

We've pretty much given up on our raised bed gardens that produced soooo much last year, just can't seem to water them enough.  We have them all mulched and water them everyday with air conditioner water that we collect, but it's not the same as rain.  Our green beans are only bushes, we think the rabbits ate all the tender blooms for their moisture.  Several tomato plants bloomed, fruited, then died.  I've only had one eggplant when last year I had dozens by now and the few cukes I've gotten have been bitter.  Even many of the herbs have died, regardless how much water I carried to them.  Only one batch of rhubarb this year, too, when normally I get 10 or so.

I agree with Kassy, start buying up extra of things you normally purchase and even think through the things you produce yourself to be sure you will have or have available what's necessary to make the item...Liz.

• 07-16-2012 12:47 AM In reply to

We have had rain for 3 days straight, enough to water the lawn & gardens thoroughly. For us, it was a wonderful blessing.  I was able to collect water from the buckets under the downspouts all three days.  The least amount I gathered was 5 gallons, & the most was 6 gallons.  All my water containers are now full, which is a very good feeling.

It was a mixed blessing for those by the burn scars from all the recent fires - the downpour was heavy at times, & we had some flash flood warnings, but at least so far, no debris slides.

• 07-16-2012 10:37 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I am so glad you have gotten rain. Hope the drought in your area is over.  Maybe it will end in this area too.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 07-17-2012 5:41 AM In reply to

Another 100 degree day in northern Michigan with no rain except to the more northern areas of michigan in the U.P. Water is on constantly, when not on the garden, it is on the pasture. We keep the goats in their pen and feed hay during those times.

Topmatoes got green tomatoes but the plants are small. i had 7' plants in my old garden. beans are the only things that look awesome. Everything else looks so behind even though i planted on time. the broccoli is producing heads fast in spite of watering, they are bolting sooner and the heads are small, little things.

Got my first yellow squah yesterday!

I got 3 eggs from the chicken coop yeasterday yay! The girls are growing up.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 07-17-2012 7:04 AM In reply to

The USDA officially declared over half of Indiana as a natural disaster area due to drought.  There has been no rain for two months in most of the state (some isolated areas have gotten downpours).  The corn crop is pretty much a goner.  Soybeans still have the ability to make a crop but most are getting eaten alive by spider mites due to the hot, dry conditions.  It seems like we're getting one plague after another.
  • 07-17-2012 12:24 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

my area in WNC is well blessed with water and heat ..   I really feel for those with out Rain ...

well keep you all in our prayers .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 07-17-2012 12:42 PM In reply to

We have 5 counties in Iowa that the Dept. of Ag. has declared disaster areas. Just waiting for more to be added. No real rain in sight for the next week. I do recall a bit the drought in the 80's but don't remember it was this bad. I'm thinking of the Depression of the 30's, the drought (Dust Bowl) and then WWII. A perfect storm! With all the major disasters happening so close together, the gov't. is really getting tapped for more $$$!
Page 3 of 9 (90 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us