Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Appropriate bridal shower gift? vs. a wedding gift?

Last post Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:10 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 25 2012 11:08 AM

Appropriate bridal shower gift? vs. a wedding gift?

OK my DIL-to-be's bridal shower is coming up. i havent been to one in YEARS so I can't recall if there are some things that make an appropriate shower gift vs. wedding gift???

I want to get her a red Kitchenaid stand mixer, but not sure if that is a better wedding gift instead of a bridal shower gift.

Hints anyone?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Mon, Jun 25 2012 11:48 AM In reply to

Re: Appropriate bridal shower gift? vs. a wedding gift?

CINNAMON THAT IS A FANTASTIC GIFT! I DOUBT THE OCCASSION MATTERS FOR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS BUT THAT KIND OF GIFT WOULD BE CHERISHED AND RESPECTED, IMHO, NO MATTER WHAT THE OCCASSION!!! A gift of any sort from someone special is a blessing though and I am sure she will love whatever you get her especially knowing it's from you. I think your idea is great if you can afford it then why not? Those are durable and useful investments!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 2:00 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

basically depends on the amount it costs for the gift..though parents of the bridal party are always expected to spend more then the reg guests.  the mixers are $300 plus tac here.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:24 AM In reply to

Martha, they are about that same price here too if even more. I hear they are really good investments. How sweet of Cinnamon to consider this luxury a gift for bridal! or any occassion!

One thing I have been seeing a lot of that would make a great couples gift are the discounted Groupon get away deals. They ofer 1-2 night getaway stays at bed and breakfast, wineries, etc. with dinner, tours, activities, etc. included for up to half the regular package cost and most are good for like up to a year. A weekend away during stress is a sweet blessing when all you have to do is cash in your gift coupon! I have been seeing a lot of really nice local ones in the wine country district but don't travel so I haven't purchased ohe Confused

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 8:25 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I usually give a smaller gift for a shower , mixer is a more of something I give like a mixer at the wedding ..

the gift of a mixer is a really great gift .

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:46 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 11 2008
    • Posts 169

I usually do an item off the bridal registry for the shower and cash for the wedding gift.  Although, I've learned that gifts and types of gifts seems to be regional and maybe what your family traditions are.  My family always gave cash for wedding gifts and when I married my husband - his family would NEVER give money as a gift.

• Tue, Jun 26 2012 6:54 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

I want to get her a red Kitchenaid stand mixer, but not sure if that is a better wedding gift instead of a bridal shower gift.

Hints anyone?

I think I would give her the mixer itself as a wedding gift, but I might give an attachment or two as a shower gift, with a little note that says "This will make sense later Wink"

• Tue, Jun 26 2012 7:54 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

OK my DIL-to-be's bridal shower is coming up. i havent been to one in YEARS so I can't recall if there are some things that make an appropriate shower gift vs. wedding gift???

Hints anyone?

Hire a cop strip a gramEmbarrassed No kidding around ok how about glass ware set cyrstal or if not that get candle holders crystal and the glasses to go with it.

• Sat, Jul 7 2012 9:07 PM In reply to

I think it is a wonderful shower gift!  My parents bought me one for my shower gift and I still use it all the time.  :)
  • Wed, Jul 11 2012 3:10 PM In reply to

gayla50:

I usually give a smaller gift for a shower , mixer is a more of something I give like a mixer at the wedding ..

the gift of a mixer is a really great gift .

OK what I actually did was to get her a Kitchenaid Red HANDHELD mixer, along with the More with Less Cookbook and the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

At the least moment I realized this girl does not know how to cook anything that does not come from a microwave, and a stand mixer might be a bit premature. I'll wait until before the wedding and see if there might be a need for one. Then i'll give it to her for the wedding. if not, it may wait until there is a need/want for it...perhaps an anniversary or Christmas gift. I got my first Kitchenaid stand mixer from my MIL for Christmas one year....after that every Christmas an attachment for it was given.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us