Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

How do I get out of my fear & "energized state"?

Last post Tue, Jun 26 2012 10:04 AM by Deborahmichelle. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 6:12 PM

How do I get out of my fear & "energized state"?

Dear Forumites, I want to tell you that my personal physician, Peter, is worried about me. He says that I have been stuck in fear & an “energized state” (a little bit of mania, sometimes called hypomania) f several months. He says that at first, it just looked as though it was due to its being March, historically my worst month of the year. Plus, there’s the factor of today’s fiscal crises. But by now, he thinks that it must be because of something else. During my 1st period of attending church, some years back, he cautioned me to cease attending, as I seemed hypomanic then. I was also doing involved volunteer work which was too much f me at that time, & I myself attributed the energized state to that. Now, no alternative explanation occurs to us. *** A factor is that, even though my Episcopal church does not give much credence to Revelations, I’ve been preoccupied w “End Times.” *** I certainly want to be baptized on 11/4/12 as planned. But, folks, what can I do in the meantime to resume good psychological health? Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 7:14 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Re: How do I get out of my fear & "energized state"?

This is what I try to do, when I feel it (usually a few days a month before the period)... I use the extra energy to clean cupboards, the balcony, home repairs, hauling things from the shops et cetera. On usual days I don't have the strength to do it and it also keeps me from worrying and pondering too much.

If I feel my thoughts are a little bit off in all directions or if I am afraid of someting, I try to:

1. get real about my situation (writing things down helps to organize the thoughts)

2. focus on the important things (I make a list of priorities.)

3. do what is necessary and possible (Solve the problems, move around them or let go of them.)

4. let it go and not worry about it anymore (Let go and let God...)

Fear is another thing... the way to handle it depends a bit on what one is afraid of. An extra lock on the door. A friend to call you at certain hours. It really depends on if the fear is real or imagined, if it is something that is likely to happen or not. Being prepared for the worst and knowing different options and alternatives in different possible situations may help a lot. If the fear is for unlikely things to happen or imagined, then letting it go is the best.

When I was newly divorced, I was very afraid. I couldn't sleep at all, and when I finally fell asleep, I woke up startled and with a fast heartbeat that would take an hour or two to pass. It was post traumatic syndrome in its fullest bloom. - The first thing I did was to buy a cat. They are calm animals with a knack for the comforts of life: - ). Still, it would move at any sound at night. So I figured out, that if the cat was sleeping soundly, then it would be safe for me to sleep too... and she would undoubtedly warn me and wake me up if she heard any strange sounds.

What I mean by that is, that every person may have to find something that works for him or her... Maybe someone calms down by listening to music. Someone else may find reading the Bible worthwile when worried or upset. A foot bath practically ties you to the chair and hopefully relaxes you too, if you stay long enough. Make it comfortable with herbal tea, a candle and a good book to give you time to really relax. If nothing else helps, climb a mountain or two - I believe you will sleep soundly afterwards: - ).

Beware, that these are very far from professional advice! If such is needed, find a good doctor. There may be an underlying disease that gives psychological symptoms as well. They know, and we know not! It's never wrong to ask your doctor for a good allround check up!!!

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 8:51 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I find that spending time in the woods helps me when I'm under a lot of stress.  Are you still walking Heart on a regular basis?

As an FYI, in the upper right hand corner where it says inbox, that turns a brighter blue when you hvae a pm.  Once you go into that, your message tirle will also be a brighter blue.  You may have to go to the end of the thread to read your new message.  Any separate new messages will be listed to themselves.  At least that is how it does on my computer.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:00 PM In reply to

Uh oh debra hi there oh mydidn't you have this around 3 years ago something kind of like this not the same story    but same thing different story I mean.   I think some good cooking will help or have one of your aids take you to a park and heart can come do something different maybe talk to your dear brother do something different thats what I mean to calm you down abit ...

I get in that type of state then that means they have to change my meds again then no way am I going to have my dr. mess with my meds again phew??

I know a really good spirtual book maybe storys of pets may a good story of angels or bible storys those seem to calm some people down.

Let me know how you are doing later and I put you on a prayer chain tonight when I go to temple with my sister.

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:33 PM In reply to

Since you mentioned being worried about the end of times, have you considered making a list, concentrating on things worrying you.  No need to priortize the list, just put them down on paper.  Example would be:  14 cans of black beans, 2 pounds of brown rice, 8 cans of mandrin oranges.  Once you have reached that "goal" neatly draw a line through that item, and relax about that, go onto the next item.  you have posted a very through inventory...print that out, and you can cross off so many many items from your personal "worry list".  you will find you are much more prepared than you think you are.

I know from reading your posts you have a large supply of foodstuffs, you have basic sewing supplies to mend your clothing, you have several items of clothing that will last you a long time.  All items you can neatly cross off your personal "worry list". 

People that considred themselves "preppers"  have lists of needs and wants.  they take great solace in being able to cross something off.  When you use a can of something, add that to your shopping list for the next month, so it may be replaced.  Feel free to add to your lists constantly, but also remember to cross things off as you accomplish that item.

I think if you take the time to list things in black and white, you will see you are so much ahead of the average person in attempting to be prepared for any emergency that may come up in the future.  Already you have posted that you are growing green onions, and you have talked about sprouting.  get a tablespoon of sprouting seeds and practice that skill.  once you have it mastered, you will have a skill that will see you through, giving you fresh veggies.  Something to cross off the list! 

I have been very impressed with your forward thinking and how you have methodically gone about preparing your household for future uncertainties. 

• Sat, Jun 23 2012 12:02 AM In reply to

Hi Deb! I have the utmost respect for you and great admiration too. You and your wonderful Dr. seem to really be doing so many good things and stay on top of everything to keep you out of your fears and "energized state". While I am not an expert, I think that engaging yourself in relaxing and calming activities, like just the simple act of sitting quietly and petting or brushing heart, enjoying some soothing music or a nice warm bath may help, maybe a cup of herbal tea iced or warm. Try to stay away from overstimulating environments until you are feeling better. Don't try and do TOO much and make TOO many plans. Pace yourself. Allow yourself to sit quietly and enjoy the peace and tranquility.

I know that you are such a healthy eater, but research has suggested staying away from caffeine, alcohol and sugar is helpful also although I am certain you are already doing so. Healthy eating, drinking the proper amount of water, exercise are all good ways to stay on track also. I think it is great that you are so mindful of your actions and your Dr. seems so supportive and caring. You have many friends here as well and we all love you and your precious Heart!
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:21 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Deb, prayer  for HIs peace that passes all understanding to mount guard over your heart and mind, Remember that whatever happens you are protected in the palm of His hand, in the "clef of the rock".  He has protectred HIs people, His sheep for many years. He will provide all you need, Paul said, But my G'd will supply all your needs according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. You have said that your trust is now in Jesus and He does care for you. 1 Peter says, Cast all your cares upon Him for He cares for you.  Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:25 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

My husband and I made the decision quite some time ago to quit watching/listening to news reports on tv/radio, and to not listen to certain types of talk radio shows that make a huge profit on fear and hate mongering. 

All one hears, even more today, is "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" aka the economy has failed, the world is on the brink of collapse, what will we do, what will we do...life as we know it is ending!

Who needs to fill their thoughts with that garbage?

The facts are that the economy is struggling, and so are some people. But what is rarely the focus to be reported on are the MILLIONS who are NOT struggling, who are working, who are increasing their incomes/net worth, who have earned promotions and pay raises, who may be living on a low income but are moving forward strengthening their household by their wise frugal efforts--as are so many of my Stretcher friends, including you, DeborahMichelle, who have been able to increase their income and move away from public assistance, who aren't caught up in the panic/fear that life as we know it is ending.  It's not reported because GOOD NEWS doesn't sell--

We've been hearing the "sky is falling" since 2006.  Yes, we went through a bad financial time but it's 6 years later, dh is gainfully employed (4 years), has earend promotions and  pay raises, our personal economy is secure, and our net worth is increasing.  We know dozens of folks in similar circumstances.  

If you surround yourself with negativity/fear you will live in negativity/fear.  

If I were in your shoes, I would focus on the positive aspects and there are thousands of positives in our world today.  To live in fear is NOT living. 

Phillipians 4:4-8

Final Exhortations

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Matthew 6:25-34

Do Not Worry

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:41 AM In reply to

Rolo: I certainly agree with you about the 'selling' of fear via TV, radio etc.. It seems that they are competing with each other for your attention and therefore there needs to be more and more drama. You can hear the same news story on two different stations and not recognize them! Also, media is racing thru time which affects us even tho just listening or watching. Sometimes I feel like I am being brainwashed! So, turn it off is wonderful advice! (it always seemed strange to me to hear of those who watch the local news before they go to bed! No wonder they can't sleep!) Lots of good advice here.
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 12:06 PM In reply to

Dear Helene, Grame, Cindy Cheap Chic, Mt Violet, Jayce 04, Babs, Rolo & Kassy, What wonderful, thoughtful, spot-on advice! I also received a PM that is invaluable .... The folks on this Forum are the GREATEST! You ROCK, Forumites! I'm going to follow through, you can bet your bottom dollar! (which all of us stretch to the utmost!!!!!!!!!!) I just want to add 2 comments. Grame, Heart & I walk 90 minutes or more just about every day .... Rolo, Thank you in particular f Phillipians 4:8. Such a good role-model! Love, love, love in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us