Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

ISO special pasta salad recipe

Last post Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:50 AM by BargainBinge. 14 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:17 PM In reply to

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2008
    • Posts 169

Re: ISO special pasta salad recipe

I love pasta salad... I make a medditerean one with chicken, feta, sun-dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives that is good warm or cold.  I also love Italian pasta salads with chunks of salami and provolone, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and banana peppers.  You can't go wrong with a good macaroni salad either, but my favorite are ones that still have texture and crunch (from celery or some other type of veg.). There's one that I make that is a "healthy"version of an Italian pasta salad (no salami or cheese), but lots of fresh veggies and basil.  I'm always on the look out for new yummy pasta salad recipes!  Smile

• Thu, Jun 21 2012 8:52 PM In reply to

Mazie, oh my dear you are in for a real sweet beet treat! Roasted beets are delicious. Be warned, you will want to gobble them all down after cooled from roasting so make sure you save some to chill for the pasta salad LOL They are addicting, make extra! Do you like FETA? If so I recommend feta with your beet salad. If you don't mind I want to suggest a recipe I will come up with right now since my suggestions are starting to look sloppy and all over the map lol I am going to keep this one rather simple because the beets need to be the highlight/star of the dish and main flavor.

Mazie's Rosemary-Roasted Beet Pasta Salad

Cooked and chilled pasta ~ Whole grain spirals, bow ties or a small round shape <not a fan of macoroni> like shells, radiatore, etc. work perfect. See this for ideas: http://www.foodsubs.com/PastaShapes.html

Add in..

Rosemary roasted baby beets

Raw or roasted asparagus cut into bite sized pieces

Protein addition... I have a vegetarian and seafood suggestion, take your pick. Vegetarian would be lemon-herb marinated Italian white beans... Seafood option would be lemon-herb shrimp or prawns. Either will do well, the lemon-herb marinade really adds a nice touch.

Handful of your favorite fresh herbs, chop them well. Only pick a few so flavors can mesh well. I recommend fresh basil for a bit of bit and then a sweet one to mellow things down like marjoram or thyme.

If you like feta, add some nice fresh chunks of feta in - Feta and beets = a tasty marriage

Evoo drizzle, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

What do you think?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:03 PM In reply to

I wonder if Sea Turtle saw all our suggestions... I know she has been on but no feedback to any of us so I assume she didn't see it. I wonder when the contest ends and what her final pick is! I hope she remembers this post! can't wait for juicy details.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 12:24 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have been worry about her to BB..  Anyone heard from her ??

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 8:50 AM In reply to

Gayla, she recently posted about flies/bugs and TMJ so between the two that doesn't sound too pleasant, I do hope she is okay.

Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us