Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Events that affect the emotional and financial integrity of the family

Last post Tue, Jul 3 2012 8:50 AM by Lori Blatzheim. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jun 19 2012 10:19 PM

Events that affect the emotional and financial integrity of the family

There you are, walking along your life path. Your routine has been predictable with the same activities almost every day.
    One day you experience an unexpected life event, something you never imagined would happen and don't yet know how to manage.

Not only have you not planned for this to happen, but you have discovered it will affect the financial integrity of the family.

The event may be an unanticipated accident affecting the condition or health of a family member. It may lead to severe disability or even death.

A natural event such as a storm, earthquake or fire may suddenly reduce the value of your property.

The event may be sudden and unexpected. It may be of longer standing, you have been anticipating it with dread.
    Initially, you may be in no shape to deal with issues. You need support, and help, and information.

Hello Virtual Thrift Club.

Please think about this post. What do you think would help someone involved in this type of tragic situation?

Suggested by sissy.

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 9:33 PM In reply to

Re: Events that affect the emotional and financial integrity of the family

I know emotionlly some people donnot make very good judgement  do to a family members death to an illness or when its really upsetting uproot of the family unit and no funds for it all upsetting and really grinds on one never how aperson I thought you need to have a emergancy fund of some sorts even if its 50 dollars.

And when people can't make a sound decession like what happened to my two sisters one had cancer and an other whoes huband died now one has a emergancy fund and another has family back up when things happen again but if its uprooting a family this answer I don't know talk with som one and then that may help abit.

• Fri, Jun 22 2012 10:58 PM In reply to

Hi cheapChick,

Thank you for your thoughts on the topic of events that affect the emotional and financial integrity of the family.

You bring up a lot of topics to write about. For instance, we can consider:
    • people become upset at the death or illness of a family member
    • those involved my not be able to make sound decisions
    • the family unit can be uprooted
    • some families offer help for the person or family which has experienced the event
    • there may be no funds available to help
    • money in an emergency fund may be helpful in this situation, even if it is a small amount.
    Let's ask the Virtual Thrift Club if they have thoughts or suggestions on how to help those who have experienced an event.

Lori
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:47 PM In reply to

Im one that has experianced it you know that of losing a dh and cindy has experianced it herself she won't say it but I and my parents took her in when she was homless and hardly no money and my other sister who's funds ran out because she was unemployeed at the time with cancer she found a good job and now has insurance for her and kids that is middle sister so yeah we all diid experiance some of it not it all so when the funds run out and me not making a sound decession at the time or when the illness of the disease came on my husband he always handled the money and the bill paying this is quit the adventure for me for the last two years and screw ups I learned and by the way I started my retirement fund cool huh?

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jun 22 2012 11:51 PM In reply to

Ours was not a "tragic" event, but when DH experienced an unexpected lay-off in 2003, it affected the entire family. 

Instead of being the SAHM, I went back to work, & worked 2 jobs to keep the family going while DH looked for work.  Had we not owned the house, we would have lost it during the 10 months it took for DH to find another job.  The new job was in another state, which necessitated moving a child for her senior year of HS, selling a home & buying a home.  The new job paid slightly more than half what the old one did.  It was very stressful, but one of the things that helped the most was that we chose to keep the family together.  Youngest DD could have stayed behind with grandparents to finish out her senior year, but she thought it was important to keep us all together ( & I thought that was incredibly mature for an 18 year old.) There is great strength in a family unit that chooses actively to face challenges together as a group - strength in numbers.

• Sat, Jun 23 2012 12:04 AM In reply to

Zohner you dd and my sisters and brother sound pretty much alike the uprooting is a pain specially for teenagers wow big turn about there we went threw that ever two years eery year and actually stayed put in one area that is tacoma we had to follow dad that was where the jobs were now that they are going wow what will be next.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 9:21 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I am not always the most tactful of people, so if I hurt your feelings I apologize, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way which is why you do not have the responses you would like.

One of my degrees is in history and once upon a time, I went in to take a final and there was just a brief paragraph at the top of the page.  Dr. Jones asked that we name the battles of the Civil  War, in order, and the commanding officer for both sides, why the losing side lost that particular battle, why that battle was significant and the impact of losing that battle in terms of the rest of the war.

Not only do I remember everything about that test, I also remember my answer was 36 pages.  I also know my hand was swollen and I was utterly and completely drained afterwards.

I know you teach thrift and blog on the subject, but some of feel like we are being pumped for info.  With your experience and background you could be as great resource and add much to the threads instead of making me feel like I"m getting ready to take another final.

i come here because its like sitting down at the kitchen table with friends for a cup of coffee to talk about our day, our goals, our interests and sometimes our problems.  So....cream....or sugar?

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 10:16 PM In reply to

Hello grame,

I am sorry that some of the audience feel like they are being pumped for information. And, thank you for the comment that I could be a great resource and add much to the threads.

The Virtual Thrift Club did not, to my knowledge, have a prototype. That presented an opportunity to set it up as I thought best.

The question now is, who should carry the torch? I have been introducing the topics and giving a short paragraph or two on the topic. Then I have left the threads open for comments from those interested in sharing their thoughts.

However, this could be the wrong approach. One of my favorite quotes is from Henry Ford.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.
    Henry Ford (taken from Brainy Quote).

This may be a great time to review how we are all doing with the site.

Let's consider what you, grame, and the audience would like. Are you saying you want more input from me? Are you waiting for a recap of the discussion at certain points? I value your thoughts.

I am more than happy to change the structure.

One last thing. I really appreciated your last comment. "I come here because its like sitting down at the kitchen table with friends for a cup of coffee to talk about our day, our goals, our interests and sometimes our problems."

I sincerely hope that all of us feel the same.
  • Sat, Jun 23 2012 11:58 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

We pop in and out depending how much time we have at the moment.  Maybe just comment on a thread sometimes.  Whast are your interests?  If you like to sew, what?  Quilts?  Clothing?  Hand crafted decorative things for your home?  Do you make gifts for friends and family?  Whatever, there is a thread fror that.

Challanges of putting kids through college?  Are you financially helping elderly parents?  How do balance those financial needs with saving for retirement and meeting your own financial goals?

What about your hobbies?  Bet someone here has likes it too and would appreciate hearing about it and how you make it affordable.

If you like to cook, are there things you used to have a lot but are now savedf for special meals due to rising prices?  Do you have a favorite crowd-pleaser recipe?  Share.  most of us belong to at least one group which is pot-luck and trying to come with economical dishes can be a challenge when on a budget.

Even though I don't always have time for an essay, I do have time for conversation.  Like right now, the berries are cooking down for syrup and another pot is ready to be made into preserves.  Evven thougth it is late, when I'm done with those, I will probably pop back her before I start on clean-up.  Most of us do that in between every thing we have to do.

I think you will find you will begin getting responses, them answer like you would a friend and not a student.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sun, Jun 24 2012 7:38 AM In reply to

I think that grame has some very good points. Rather than attending school, we should be sharing more about our common, every day activities.

I thnk you gave us some terrific suggestions on different topics.

To begin with,I am going to post thoughts on financing a college education and on preserving food. I am not an expert on either of these topics, but I do have an interest in both. I would really like to know how people do both.

'Tell you what, grame, let's see what happens.  

Lori

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us