Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What's for Dinner, The Summer *2012* Edition

Last post Sat, Sep 15 2012 9:38 PM by Loveday. 997 replies.
Page 1 of 100 (998 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:23 PM

What's for Dinner, The Summer *2012* Edition

Summer has come and so has food & fun!

Care to share... what's for dinner over there?

Post your dinners below ~ details welcome!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:36 PM In reply to

Re: What's for Dinner, The Summer *2012* Edition

Horray for a colorful new summer dinner thread!

Tonight is our clean cuisine night. I have prepared a nice vegetarian spread with raw and steamed veggie sides, my monk-Monday-soup invention and a beautiful new curry creation of mine that came out knock your socks off good. Smile. There are fresh fruits for dessert.

Tonight's humble offerings include:

Fresh steamed organic Italian zucchini & peas w/pearl onions

Baby arugula, baby bok choy, raw mushroom & avocado salad

Fresh slow cooker sweet-split pea soup w/dry split peas, fresh chopped parsnips, sweet onion, garden grown rosemary, thyme, fennel seed, black pepper, sea salt, water and lot of love! This one is sweet & simple!

Entree is a sweet & spicy orange curry I invented. This was either a hit or miss and ended up a big HIT. Main ingredients include: Fresh sauteed organic fuji and pink lady apples, organic garbonzo beans, sweet potatoes, red onion, red bell pepper, mandarian oranges, bite sized candied ginger w/ coconut milk-rosemary-red chili flakes-curry powder-fresh garden grown spearmint leaves <do not leave the fresh spearmint out out, trust me, they add the perfect extra sweetness and bite to the sauce and transform/complete the entire curry>... served with fresh steamed/plain Jasmine rice...MmMm

Dessert is fresh honeydew melon, apricots and juicy purple grapes

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:38 PM In reply to

Stir fry peppers with chicken and seasome noodles and some and a diet mist.

chrissanne
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:47 PM In reply to

Had roast chicken leg and creamed corn and baked potatoes last night for dinner.  He had ice cream and I had nothing for dessert.

Tonight it was hamburger patties, in a bun for him and plain for me.  french fries and beans for me and french fries and corn for him.  I have sliced peaches for dessert and he has ice cream.

Sally

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:49 PM In reply to

BB - that is the cutest start of a thread ever!! Dinner tonight at Jayce household: Rack of lamb on the grill, marinated overnight in EVOO, garlic (tons), onion, parsley, juice of three lemons, special blend lamb seasoning and fresh ground pepper. Side dishes of Steamed and then stuffed and roasted artichokes - stuffed with sautéd garlic and onion in olive oil, panko breadcrumbs with Italian herbs, parmesan reggiano cheese, chopped up stems of the artichokes, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper; and another side dish of steamed brown rice. Ancho chili tapenade and tzaziki sauces for dipping of whatever anyone chose to dip...lol. Fresh seedless watermelon for dessert or marshmallows to roast over the fire if you so desire. Super good dinner tonight. DH is leaving solo tomorrow or Wed, Im gonna sit this trip out and stay home, we have so much that needs to be done for upcoming work trips that it just makes sense for us to do it this way and accomplish more. The trip, while a driving intensive one, only requires one person. So poor DH will drive to Nashville, then to Atlantic City then back home to the midwest. I really am happy to be home, while working, I feel like I can catch up on so much at home too!!!
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:53 PM In reply to

Brandy, now we know why BB was chomping at the bit for the new Summer thread....he had this lil gem up his sleeve...LOL !!!!
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:10 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

The curry sounds delicious!

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:55 PM In reply to

Jayce, you crack me up dear. We needed some summer color and fabulouso flair. Thank you very much. Smirk...

Now now, look at that super POSH meal. I love the details too! They excite my senses! Please sign me up for a seat near those artichokes. I will most likely want seconds on those stuffed artichokes. You went to a lot of work on this meal. I bet it was WELL enjoyed.

• Tue, Jun 19 2012 10:30 AM In reply to

Hmmm Dinner tonight: Im vacillating between grilling salmon and making a Thai pork. While salmon sounds good, I have everything on hand to make the thai pork yummy. I have some very lean pork already sliced very thin and I froze it marinating in thai seasonings. I could add yellow and red pepper, mushrooms, potatoes, onion, garlic, coconut milk, sesame oil, fish sauce and curry paste to make a yummy dish over jasmine rice. The salmon on the other hand would be grilled outside with garlic, dill and lemon most likely and served with a garden salad and hmmmm....I have potatoes I could prepare but that just isn't catching my eye. The salmon would also be good maybe spread with my homemade adobe tapenade and grilled?? With a side of skewered mushrooms, onions and peppers? I need a starch, had rice last night with the lamb so not really liking the rice thing again tonight. Oh, I think I have a HUGE sweet potato. Ok folks.....any suggestions? I know BB will jump on this train and come up with a clever tasty meal!
  • Tue, Jun 19 2012 11:11 AM In reply to

Jayce I am laughing so hard because before I could even read the entire post I already went to hit reply and then out of the corner of my eye say "BB" and your note.

HAHA I am ahead of the game here. That's what foodies are for!

Welcome to the wonderful world of dinner OPTIONS. Everything sounds great. Since I did curry and Jasmine rice last night my pallette is leaning towards suggestions for your other options.

Here's a clue at where I'm at today for dinner menu planning. I just put on a big pot of 16 bean, collard green, leek, vine and fire roasted tomato and Mexican and Cajun herbs/spices soup. So like Cajun/Mexican fusion. I know I will be serving yellow zucchini and sweet corn. I have veggie burgers planned with onion buns and fresh fixings: onion buns, pineapple and tomato slices, maybe red onion and avocado and romaine or spicy greens.

So I've covered curry and spicy and would want to recommend something outside those realms.

Grilled salmon is a big hit here. I wish I had a grill set up, will have to wait until we move. My suggestion for tonight's salmon would be let it speak for itself. The pure unaltered taste of fish can be so heavnly and grilling bumps it up a notch. Pair it with grilled veggie kabobs. They are so delicious! I would also recommend cutting that sweet potato into steak-fry-pieces and grilling them. I could go for some of those right now. Celebrate that summer grill time with a simple spread that isn't heavily seasoned. The natural flavors will speak for themselves with this one. If you are craving something lighter than omit the potato and enjoy the veggie kabob. Your peppers, mushrooms and onions will make the perfect kabob. Make it easy, do ti all on the grill and enjoy more time outside with some beautiful weather! Count me in for suggestions while hubby is away and you are at home to relax and cook-play! Even if I suggest something hideous let me have my fun LOL

Heavy meal: grilled salmon fillet, grilled veggie kabob, grilled sweet potato wedges <let the sweet potato be your starch>

All in one: grilled salmon/veggie kabobs

All in one and then some: grilled salmon/veggie kabobs and side salad

Notes: The grilled salmon at + stock photo : BBQ Vegetable + Grilled Sweet Potato Fries = "If you're happy and you know

How can one resist!?

Page 1 of 100 (998 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us