Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Rain Barrels------Do You Have One?

Last post Tue, May 27 2014 6:30 PM by Linda Cecil. 36 replies.
Page 4 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 30 2013 7:06 AM In reply to

Re: Rain Barrels------Do You Have One?

Water systems can be contaminated too. So I like saving a little money, a water supply for the gardens and to use if an emergency. Babs

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 3:59 AM In reply to

• vivid
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 2 2013
    • Posts 594

Don't haveStick out tongue, but wanna have them

• Tue, Jun 4 2013 7:29 AM In reply to

I used around 15 gallons from one barrel last week. Watered plants on the porch, the new trees, garden plants. Over the weekend, we had rain that filled by barrel back to overflowing. Thankful for this water from the sky, Babs

• Tue, May 20 2014 7:51 PM In reply to

I set up my rain barrel two weeks ago. It is full from last weekends rain. I am using it to water the indoor plants. As we empty milk jugs, I will fill them with the rain water. I carry them up the hill to my garden and leave them until I need them.

Anyone else have a rian barrel out? Babs 

• Tue, May 20 2014 8:36 PM In reply to

• AJ White
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, May 27 2013
    • Posts 3

Babs, Yes, do I ever have rain barrels! Two 225-gallon ones around the house for general outdoor cleaning, watering chickens and plants. They came in extremely handy during a six day power outage. Another inside 225-gallon and 55-gallon outside to the goat barn with an automatic fill to an outdoor trough on the opposite side. Really saved money in so many ways. Saved my livestock and didn't have to go to a hotel during the power outage. Saved the cost of connecting water to the barn and/or energy taking the house out to the barn. -AJ
  • Tue, May 27 2014 1:29 PM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

My brother made his own from supplies at the home improvement stores. His are connected to his down spouts. I asked him this weekend and he told me they save him quite a bit.  He has a good sized what I call a city garden and several fruit tress as well.

• Tue, May 27 2014 6:30 PM In reply to

No I have no rain barrels growing up before having city water and being on a well system which didn't have enough water. We used to put barrels under the runoff of the house and used that for different things. Even though I am on city water now I am still very very consertive with the use of the water.
Page 4 of 4 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us