Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What to do with left over canned pineapple

Last post Sun, Jun 17 2012 9:08 AM by BargainBinge. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 7:13 PM

• lynn
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 19 2008
    • NC
    • Posts 267

What to do with left over canned pineapple

This will sound silly but we eat a lot of canned pineapple and there is always at least two slices left over and it gets thrown out. I have never tried to freeze it because my DM told me you couldn`t freeze pineapple . But I must say several of the food preserving things my DM told me have proven not to be so . Soooo has anyone tried freezing leftover canned pineapple ? I`d like to just put a container i n the freezer door and keep adding to it...like I do the left over  veggies . Ideas ya`ll ? Thanks and have a Blessed evening , Lynn
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 7:58 PM In reply to

Re: What to do with left over canned pineapple

I freeze it lynn I also heard that it does not freeze well I said the heck with it and freeze it anyway so nothing goes to waist.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Jun 14 2012 9:44 PM In reply to

I've always frozen any leftovers and it was fine.  I like to pan-fry slices with a little brown sugar - good served with any Chinese dish.  Dh also likes pineapple on his pizza...Liz
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 12:53 AM In reply to

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:28 AM In reply to

Have you ever had frozen grapes? You freeze to eat frozen. The same can go with chunked pineapple, it is by far a DELCIOUS and healthy frozen treat in the summertime... or anytime! I would cut in bite size pieces and freeze to eat frozen or slightly thawed. They are like bite size whole fruit popsicles and delicious.

If you don't want to use them that way then I would recommend freezing for other usage or using the cans when you know you can menu plan something else within that week. They can be kept in tupperware in the fridge but once you open the can REMOVE any leftovers and juice and store in a different container to put in the fridge.

They can also be dropped into drinks as pineapple "ice" cubes and enjoyed after. Smoothies are another great option.

Someone else mentioned pinapple pizza, score to that. Make healthy personal sized pita pizzas served with a garden side salad or Hawaiian style pita pockets for a nice sandwich alternative served wtih a side of raw veggies to snack on.

Use them to make a pineapple upside down cake... muffins... bread...

Pineapple stir fry, pineapple rice, pineapple to go on top of yogurt or cottage cheese... chilled pineapple soup... pineapple syrup or preserves... pineapple fruit salad or ambrosia... pineapple on your green salads... One lady here use to always make escalloped pineapple dishes...

Possibilies are endless

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 5:43 AM In reply to

How could I forget... pineapple and avocado salad or the yummiest pineapple salsa with fresh tomatoes, herbs, onion, etc - this one freezes WELL.

You soulc also consider dehydrating it for delicious dried pineapple rings...

Homemade pineapple sweet and sour sauce... kabobs... grilled pineapple slices - go great with grilled chicken as a topping...

All these suggestions are tasty... I really encourage the pinapple pita pockets, they are so good

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Jun 15 2012 11:28 PM In reply to

Pineapple and chocolet then freeze with the chocolet covered pine apple have it on a warm day for some treat.

Throw on top of cottage cheese

Throw on top of ice cream and a chocolet fudge taste topping to go with it

Throw in a salad

Put in jello

Use in a milkshake

use in a fruity smoothy

Throw in iced water

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jun 16 2012 12:23 AM In reply to

I freeze it all the time.  Pour the juice over any leftover slices.  When you get enough in your container for a meal sized portion, thaw it in the fridg overnight.  works great for me.
  • Sat, Jun 16 2012 3:25 AM In reply to

Like any frozen fruit, the texture will be slightly different. It's still useable and enjoyable -- don't be afraid to freeze it!
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sun, Jun 17 2012 8:23 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

W

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us