Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

You Are Important!

Last post Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:15 AM by Kassy. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 7 2012 7:37 AM

You Are Important!

It dawned on me this morning that the Virtual Thrift Club is a great opportunity for us to express our opinions, our strategies, and our suggestions.

I love reading your responses. It is so fascinating to think about all the different places we live, some in the city and some in the country. We might have different ideas because of our location, but frequently we agree.

I think that you may have some very interesting topics which you can present.

What would you think of sharing some of these ideas???????

Why don't we do this. If you do have something to share write this sentence into your comment:

I have an idea?

If you have additional information about your idea, just add it. I will place it for you in a post and we can read it and offer our thoughts.

• Fri, Jun 8 2012 12:25 AM In reply to

Re: You Are Important!

Is this have to do with money and the idea's of savings or getting out of dept me Im all eyes on the thread for any idea I know I be out of dept completely at the end of the year my former dh hospital bills he died two years ago well I sold my deli and put all that money into the hospital bills so this last half its paid and done with finally after all those years of almost going broke but I sudgest on money is use it like you tith to church put that 10 percent in the church well if you don't then put that into the bank instead and watch you don't take anyout and then stuff it in a c-d or a stock of somesort. That be for retirement.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jun 8 2012 9:26 AM In reply to

Hi sissy,

First, I would like to thank you for responding to "You Are Important." I appreciate so much that you took the time to send in your message.

You see, I can write posts all day long, but I want to know what the Virtual Thrift Club responders really want and what information and suggestions might help them.

You discussed a number of things that we could put into posts:

Tithing: what is is, why it is important to people, and how they balance it with thrift.

Unexpected life events which affect the financial integrity of the family. Such as the death of a family member and the bills that need to be paid  

Selling a business, and what do do following. 

Satisfaction in paying off a debt.

Starting over after a serious event. Strategies that might help.

When to invest.

Just look at what you wrote down. It is amazing. Now I need to know what you would like me to present first.

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 12:37 AM In reply to

Can we talk somemore about this I may sound dum on this matter but it is important on retirement specially for me I hardly have half the retirement in my bank to retirement age I have to work until Im 70 years old and that is not far off if you have an answer for this one Im all eyeson the thread I get min. wage here in washington Im still stouck as a waitress during the day my secound job is book keeper thee days a week so I own my town house just paying on maintmaince fees water garbage and eletric  i pay for and my deceased husbands old medical bills until the end of this year then I can clear tree hudred to the bank for retirement so what do I do next?????

chrissanne
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 12:41 AM In reply to

Lori Blatzheim:

Hi sissy,

First, I would like to thank you for responsing to "You Are Important." I appreciate so much that you took the time to send in your message.

You see, I can write posts all day long, but I want to know what the Virtual Thrift Club responders really want and what information and suggestions might help them.

You discussed a number of things that we could put into posts:

Tithing: what is is, why it is important to people, and how they balance it with thrift.

Unexpected life events which affect the financial integrity of the family. Such as the death of a family member and the bills that need to be paid  

Selling a business, and what do do following. 

Satisfaction in paying off a debt.

Starting over after a serious event. Strategies that might help.

When to invest.

Just look at what you wrote down. It is amazing. Now I need to know what you would like me to present first.

First thing retirement I have not a clue about it I got a book on retirement for dummies book its not helping so I thought talk to you see what you say about it and then jump at the end of the year at the bank and start retirement I got alittle saved in the account not much by the time I retire I be so darn old just to enjoy it..lol sorry just only a snicker so what is it I need to do for retirement c-d or a 401k or just stocks low risk one or just a simple retirement account.???

chrissanne
  • Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:31 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Sissy,

Good questions. And, you have a lot of company. Most boomers haven't saved nearly enough for retirement. I'm concerned that there's a shock coming for a lot of people.

Your question isn't an easy one. Begin by saving as much as you can. Then begin to invest it. Carefully. Your goal is long term growth and income. It's too deep a subject to get into here, but we do have a good section on retirement planning that should help http://www.stretcher.com/menu/topic-r.htm#retirenear

Congrats on all the progress you've already made!

Gary

• Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:06 PM In reply to

Thank you gary.This is a step up now and to look at the hyperlink you gave me low risk stock I was thinking very carefully about and I think Im will have to persue a stock or two on this one.

And I might go to the boeing credit union and see what they got I have a brother that works at boeing so at least 2 or 3 opptitions there and thank you again at least I can feel more comfortable doing this now....sissy

chrissanne
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 8:14 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Sissy, Please remember one thing that I learned as a rookie stockbroker 30 years ago. "The return OF your money is more important than the return ON your money." In other words, you don't want to risk your savings reaching for too high an interest or promised growth rate. Better to make 1% less each year and keep your principal safe. Hope your retirement funds grow quickly and safely! Gary
  • Wed, Jun 13 2012 10:15 AM In reply to

And by the way, 70 is not too old to enjoy retirement!
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us