Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Prepping

Last post 08-29-2012 10:10 AM by zohnerfarms. 106 replies.
Page 5 of 11 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2012 10:13 AM In reply to

Re: Prepping

Speaking of saving money when not going to the store...dh and I both like to window shop. It's not hard for us to just look and not buy. Then when we meet in the mall for coffee, we tell each other how much money we saved by not buying something (ie: a beautiful white blouse $30 and a top on sale for $17)=$47 dollars I saved that day! :) If I had had unlimited funds I would have bought both of them. Just a game we play!
  • 06-21-2012 2:59 PM In reply to

Grame, i pm'd youSmile

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 06-21-2012 3:05 PM In reply to

I have a loose grocery budget now.....actually I budget for the weekly things we might need. ALL the rest is bargains. I am thankful i no longer have to pass up bargains.

Like these: Organic nut butters for $1.59( I bought all 6 on the shelf), vegetable-fruit juice for $1.29(I bought all 16 of the 46 oz. bottles on the shelf), family pack of tortillas for .49 (I bought 12 of them that was left - thats like $2 a package off!!! And these freeze well), 20 oz. of frozen ground turkey for .99 a package (bought all 15 of those).......and on.....this week was #10 cans of fruits and red beans....priced at $2 a can. I got all 8.

My cash is worth more value invested in foods we use than in the stock market right now.

• 06-21-2012 3:10 PM In reply to

Kassy:
    We take only vitamin supplements, aspirin etc. here so don't have to worry too much about prescription drugs. I definitely stock up on aspirin....plain old generic aspirin (no Tylenol, thanks) IMO it is a miracle drug! We don't pop aspirin at our house but it has fit the problem hundreds of times so wouldn't want to be without that. Perhaps ibuprofen also (to fight off infection?) Once heard a medical doctor say that, if aspirin were 'discovered' today it would be a prescription drug.

We have a first aid kit here that we get into often. i need to keep a good supply on hand for aspirin, ibuprophen, hydrocortisone and burn aids. Band aids and bandages too. Working on that yet.

• 06-21-2012 3:12 PM In reply to

grame:

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I only have 6 cans of salmon left..

Might want to make that a priority.   might not be safe much longer, gien the increasing radiation levels.  Do some research on items your family uses that come from northern CA, western Oregon and Washington.  Don"t forget gardening seeds.  Besides what I will collect at the end of our growing season, I've got a stockpile of heirloom in mylar stored in the deep freezer.

We are going into our fourth week of no rain, so are handwatering tomatoes,  I also had a local store order me flats of organic tomato sauce so I have the flat I'm currently using out of plus 11 flats stacked in the storage closet.  Most tomatoe products are produced in the above listed areas.  We have also stopped buying any produce trucked in from this area also.  Hey, Arkansas strawberries are closer and taste just fine.

I have to wait for the salmon to run in the creek out back...that is in September. Wink

• 06-21-2012 5:46 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

CG - got your pm and back at you.  Be careful though, you are going to drop your jaw!!!  Can you talk those salmon on starting earlier, going to ND in August and I can drop down to I 90 and head your way.

I thought you were talking about tin canned or frozen salmon, not home canned which is so much better.  I'm jealous.

I did have a sit down with a friend who works for and teaches EMT to go over what first aide supplies I had and what I needed.  His recommendation was to pick up generic bottles of contact lens solution.  Cheap and provides a sterile eye wash or washing a wound.

While you were so busy, we started a prepper thread for babies and toddlers you might want to check out with a GB on the way.  Hope you have advice to add, but I did include a sterile water suggestion I got from She Who Shall Remain Nameless who knows so much more than me about prepping.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 06-21-2012 10:24 PM In reply to

Kassy:
    Speaking of saving money when not going to the store...dh and I both like to window shop. It's not hard for us to just look and not buy. Then when we meet in the mall for coffee, we tell each other how much money we saved by not buying something (ie: a beautiful white blouse $30 and a top on sale for $17)=$47 dollars I saved that day! :) If I had had unlimited funds I would have bought both of them. Just a game we play!

But this is a good game that you play I know I shouldn't have said that sorry if I insulted you-  I play the game kinda like this with cindy she taught me to do this when I was in my teens taught me to look but no touch if you had the money then go for it then ask yourself afterwards like am I going to wear it alot or is this an oh oh regrete type thing thats what cindy taught me to this day I do it just to keep me out of the stores until pay day if the item is there and there is a sale then I grab it.    So yes great game and its a good one.

chrissanne
  • 06-22-2012 10:55 AM In reply to

grame:

CG - got your pm and back at you.  Be careful though, you are going to drop your jaw!!!  Can you talk those salmon on starting earlier, going to ND in August and I can drop down to I 90 and head your way.

I thought you were talking about tin canned or frozen salmon, not home canned which is so much better.  I'm jealous.

I did have a sit down with a friend who works for and teaches EMT to go over what first aide supplies I had and what I needed.  His recommendation was to pick up generic bottles of contact lens solution.  Cheap and provides a sterile eye wash or washing a wound.

While you were so busy, we started a prepper thread for babies and toddlers you might want to check out with a GB on the way.  Hope you have advice to add, but I did include a sterile water suggestion I got from She Who Shall Remain Nameless who knows so much more than me about prepping.

Right back at you grame lol!

Wish i lived closer to an LDS Cannery...I searched online and the closest one is down near Detroit, in Farmington Hills.

Still seaching for your baby prep thread.

• 06-22-2012 7:44 PM In reply to

zohnerfarms:

cheapChic:
    Oh tell me about it its a 1.50 here love the stuff when I can find it and its a pain to get to the far off store just to blow 1.50Confused

I find I save a lot of money when I chose not to go to the store at all & just make do with what is in the house.  Even when I go with a list, I always find some kind of bargain that wasn't on the list, & even if it is a good buy, sometimes I feel like we need the cash in hand more than the "bargain". For example, I stock up on ice cream when it is half price, & a week later, DH has eaten ALL FOUR cartons.  Really didn't save much on that bargain, now, did I?

Zohnerfarms, I've learned that - the same way as you!!! All prep foods must be uneatable during normal circumstances, otherwise there is nothing left to eat when it is really needed!!! I have hidden a few buckets of chocolate spread (just in case) together with some crackers. Guess who found them. And guess what is finished and what is not... 

We'll have to eat those crackers dry or dunk them in tea, in case of war... no chocolate spread within sight............ and six buckets they were..............

• 06-22-2012 11:16 PM In reply to

Helene:

zohnerfarms:

cheapChic:
    Oh tell me about it its a 1.50 here love the stuff when I can find it and its a pain to get to the far off store just to blow 1.50Confused

I find I save a lot of money when I chose not to go to the store at all & just make do with what is in the house.  Even when I go with a list, I always find some kind of bargain that wasn't on the list, & even if it is a good buy, sometimes I feel like we need the cash in hand more than the "bargain". For example, I stock up on ice cream when it is half price, & a week later, DH has eaten ALL FOUR cartons.  Really didn't save much on that bargain, now, did I?

Zohnerfarms, I've learned that - the same way as you!!! All prep foods must be uneatable during normal circumstances, otherwise there is nothing left to eat when it is really needed!!! I have hidden a few buckets of chocolate spread (just in case) together with some crackers. Guess who found them. And guess what is finished and what is not... 

We'll have to eat those crackers dry or dunk them in tea, in case of war... no chocolate spread within sight............ and six buckets they were..............

Helen don't run out of chocolet its like me hell has no furrie when Im out of ice cream specially ben and jerry's ice cream cindy its cookies the chocolet chip kind.

chrissanne
Page 5 of 11 (107 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us