Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

The Frugal Shave

Last post Mon, Jul 2 2012 5:48 PM by tash. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 30 2012 12:27 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Frugal Shave

Razors and shaving cream have become expensive items to add to the cart.

Are you using alternatives to pricy blades? Making your own shaving cream or using some other product that is cheaper?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, May 30 2012 12:37 PM In reply to

Re: The Frugal Shave

The single most frugal thing I think I have ever done was switch to an old-style safety razor. One of the metal ones like this.  The blades are 10 for $2 at Dollar General, and each blade is double-sided. I get far more shaves from each side than I do "women's razors" from the store, and a much closer shave with no razor burn. I only change blades maybe twice a month, and I shave every other day. With a "regular" razor, I'd need a new blade every 3-5 shaves, even though I have very fine hair and not much of it.

With this, there's no need to spend money on shaving cream. If I am at home, I just use my shampoo bar. If I am at the gym, I just use cheap Suave conditioner. that I use for my hair (carring soap bars to the gym is a pain).  It took me a few times to not nick myself, but I wouldn't go back to any other razor, ever. I only need to go over my skin once, which means no razor burn or ingrown hairs and a super-smoother shave. It's so much cheaper than any of the razors from the store I can't even really come up with a comparison ratio.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • Wed, May 30 2012 1:59 PM In reply to

Even cheaper...give up shaving.

• Wed, May 30 2012 3:37 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Falconinburgundy:
    The single most frugal thing I think I have ever done was switch to an old-style safety razor. One of the metal ones like this

My father has one like it. I didn't realise the blades were so cheap.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 30 2012 3:55 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Falconinburgundy:
    The single most frugal thing I think I have ever done was switch to an old-style safety razor. One of the metal ones like this

My father has one like it. I didn't realise the blades were so cheap.

I was surprised, too. DH started using one to shave before recommending it to me, and was shocled the first time he bought blades for it. Even at a pharmacy, they're only $4-5 for 10 around here, but Dollar General is cheaper.

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

• Wed, May 30 2012 5:49 PM In reply to

Do they still sell safety razors?

I've been getting blades using ECBs and coupons at CVS. I usually get shaving cream at the $ store.   When I get a sample packet/bottle of conditioner, I do use it instead of shaving cream...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Wed, May 30 2012 8:18 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I have my Dads razor and his shaving brush. I will have to check at Dollar General for blades. Thanks for that info, Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, May 30 2012 8:43 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Razors and shaving cream have become expensive items to add to the cart.

Are you using alternatives to pricy blades? Making your own shaving cream or using some other product that is cheaper?

I get my shave cream at save alot 1.19 for it helps when I bring out the zazer now what I consider to expensive is razers...

chrissanne
  • Wed, May 30 2012 8:44 PM In reply to

Maggie Trudeau:

Even cheaper...give up shaving.

My boyfriend will have a fit if I don't shave but it would be nice to give it up.

chrissanne
  • Thu, May 31 2012 8:10 AM In reply to

LWolfT:

Do they still sell safety razors?

I'm not sure, actually. We got both of ours (we each have one) at an antique store/junk shop for a few bucks (I think $5, if I am remembering correctly) each. I see them around here in most of the junk shops and antique stores for varying prices, none more than about $15 (which I think is expensive, but would still pay for itself pretty quickly, I think). You can get them on Amazon starting at around $7 (http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-Shaver-Nonslip-Handle/dp/B0050HO9MI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1338466048&sr=1-2)" and going up to $50 (I don't think there's enough difference in them to pay that, personally). Or, http://www.razorsdirect.com has a wider selection for under $15. Mine isn't the super-expensive kind, just the standard, low-end one, and it works great.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us