Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Buying Baby Food

Last post Tue, May 22 2012 12:46 AM by evaeli5252. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2012 7:50 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Buying Baby Food

If you do buy any jarred or boxed baby foods, where are the best deals to be had? Do you often find coupons and sales?

It's been a long time since I have had a baby and I am out of the loop on the baby market but we have some new moms out there so  share your secrets for stretching more dollars!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 16 2012 6:13 PM In reply to

Re: Buying Baby Food

Baby food is really expensive now. I was shopping with DD for a friends baby shower and about fell over at the prices. If you feel like making your own baby food and to save money, there is a book by Vicki Lansky called "Feed Me! I'm Yours" which has some really helpful advice. I used it when my son was a baby.
    Riley
  • Wed, May 16 2012 8:57 PM In reply to

mom and I use to make the nieces baby food when we baby sat them I saw the price of it now I fainted what aare those poor moms to do guess I will print out babyfood coupons for them so far the best brand I saw was gerber but the others Im not fimilar with so stick to what I do know still make it for the girls of our neighbors house when babysitting.

• Thu, May 17 2012 2:07 AM In reply to

One jar of baby food is around $.79 to $1.00 for that same amount of $ they could make it from scratch w/ extra leftover

I would suggest assisting them in making baby food to store in the freezer via ice cube amounts stored in ziploc baggie or even small containers

They can buy a bag of carrots for $2.00 cook up and fill ice cube trays with baby food ( plus they know what is in it as well as they can pick smaller amounts if the large ice cubes are too big you can do those mini ice cubes tray sizes as well.)

They can also make baby ceral cheap as well for $1.00 from the dollar store ( saves extra $$) Yes I have NOT tried this.....but they could even borrow someone processor once and do 2 bags at a time and have lots of meals for baby

Wholesome Rice Cereal

1/4 cup (around 1 oz) brown rice powder
    8 fl oz (1 cup) water
    a little formula/breastmilk

To make the rice powder, grind brown rice in a blender or food processor. This is best achieved by grinding in small quantities - but to make the powder REALLY fine, we recommend trying a coffee grinder 

Bring the water to a boil.

Add the rice powder, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.

Reduce the heat to very low and simmer gently for about 10 minutes (don't forget to keep stirring, or the rice will stick).

Then stir in enough formula or breastmilk to give the consistency that's best for your baby.

Once baby has been introduced to fruit, you could always add a little of his favourite puree.

Most people have regular oatmeal in the house so this would be a great suggestion since the extra cost would be zero if they already purchase this 

Oatmeal Baby Cereal (make it Organic by using Organic Rolled or Steel Cut Oats.)

1/4 cup of ground oats (use regular or steel cut when possible), ground in blender or food processor
    3/4 cup - 1 cup water

1. Bring liquid to boil in saucepan. Add the oatmeal powder while stirring constantly.
    3. Simmer for 10 minutes, whisking constantly, mix in formula or breast milk and fruits if desired
    3. Serve warm.

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Thu, May 17 2012 2:15 AM In reply to

Here is another example with a break down of amounts (how much it will make)... I would assume 4 pounds of apples would be less then $5.00 so if a you purchased 5 jars at $1.00 each you get 5 meals yet with that same $5 for making the applesauce you get 48 meals I would do the make your own!!!!

Baby Applesauce
    makes 4 1/4 cups or about 48 cubes

4 pounds apples (skins on), washed, cored, and cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/3 cup water

- Simmer apples in a large covered saucepan with water until tender, about 10 minutes.
    - Transfer mixture to a blender. Working in small batches, blend until smooth. Pass through a fine sieve; for a coarser texture, pass apples through a food mill or pulse in a food processor.
    - Fill 1/4-cup plastic containers or ice-cube trays with purée.

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Tue, May 22 2012 12:46 AM In reply to

While buying baby food You should always buy iron-fortified infant cereals whole grain crackers, tasty organic juices and Sesame Street foods or you can prepare baby food at home. You should always mashed fruits and vegetables before feeding them to babies. Keep insect and animals away from the baby’s food and keep it fresh.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us