Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Wartime Recipes ..Frugal and good add your finds

Last post Fri, May 11 2012 4:34 PM by LivingFrugal. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 2 2012 11:58 PM

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Wartime Recipes ..Frugal and good add your finds

• Thu, May 3 2012 7:53 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: Wartime Recipes ..Frugal and good add your finds

I have seem some of them but not all thank you Martha ..   

I love these 

looks like I need a new printer . 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, May 3 2012 8:13 AM In reply to

I find these sorts of things VERY interesting, especially the old school menus. I love to look even though these types of foods are not ones I would make or enjoy. Cindy will love this post, it will be like the best Christmas present ever for her lol I can only read so much at once but went to Retro Housewife's and if I see the word butter, flour or dead animal fat one more time I am going to have it coming out my own eyes LOL Butter and lard it was back then, nice to see how some things have changed since then but what I do find interesting is how butter then was like a staple and butter now is like a luxury item to some due to cost. I am assuming folks were making their own butter more so back then? and it was farm fresh and not factory packaged, shipped, shelfed and sold for higher prices.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, May 3 2012 8:14 AM In reply to

I find these sorts of things VERY interesting, especially the old school menus. I love to look even though these types of foods are not ones I would make or enjoy. Cindy will love this post, it will be like the best Christmas present ever for her lol I can only read so much at once but went to Retro Housewife's and if I see the word butter, flour or dead animal fat one more time I am going to have it coming out my own eyes LOL Butter and lard it was back then, nice to see how some things have changed since then but what I do find interesting is how butter then was like a staple and butter now is like a luxury item to some due to cost. I am assuming folks were making their own butter more so back then? and it was farm fresh and not factory packaged, shipped, shelfed and sold for higher prices. I know many folks were also reserving animal fat drippings to no waste/be frugal.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, May 3 2012 8:24 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I was checking out the 1040s experiment recipes. They discuss using drippings in cooking. I grew up and I am sure a lot of other Southerners using bacon drippings to season veggies, especially green beans. It was interesting to read that became the thing to replace butter during the war. I still use it. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Thu, May 3 2012 9:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I am assuming folks were making their own butter more so back then?

I am guessing some were so it kept prices down.

My grandmothers were buying it but I don't think they used as much butter as some of the recipes I have seen.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, May 3 2012 9:17 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

was curious but looks like it wasn't too popular..expensive and not available really for a while.  stays it was banned in canada for a long time..dairy lobbies I guess lol

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, May 3 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

Martha, margerine and butter are 2 entirely different classes lol  Butter was happening before margerine was... Margerine is the cheap sub for butter and not a healthy option. They try to health it up these days but it's still not a healthy product IMO and in taht case I would rather use real butter instead if I had to chose between the two. There are times when I like to use some sweet cream butter but in general I stick to a nice quality olive oil. That's our staple here.

Babs, we have a huge discussion going on awhile back about animal fat drippings. I went all ballistic lol as I am not in favor of them but know MANY people here are and people all over still use it in place of butter and oils. It seems to be a common thing within the frugal community.

• Thu, May 3 2012 4:13 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Thanks, Martha!!!

I have read some of these, but some of them are new!

In wartime Britain, milk and cheese were common. Here, I have to save on both! Not all recipes from the WW2 are cheap to make! - On the other hand, we have hummus! Big Smile Fresh vegetables are also not very cheap over here and water is very expensive, so having a "victory garden" is not very economical either.

• Thu, May 3 2012 5:59 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us