Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Kitchen Organization

Last post Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:03 PM by LucyLou. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 2 2012 1:12 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Kitchen Organization

For many of us, the kitchen is the focal point of life. The place we plan from, get things done and spend much of our time. It is essential that we have things we need at hand and organized where it makes the best use of our time and effort.

What are your kitchen organization tips?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, May 2 2012 3:09 PM In reply to

Re: Kitchen Organization

My kitchen is set up so that the dishes we use everyday are in the cabinet closest to the table so that setting the table is easy. The silverware is in a drawer near the table for the same reason. Pots and pans are in a lower cabinet next to the stove. All of the small kitchen appliances are in a cabinet under the counter where they are used most. The coffee pot is set up next to the sink with a coffee canister next to it so making coffee is easy. I have all of my spices in a cabinet not too far from the stove. I put the ones I use the most in the front. My pantry is also set up for ease of use. One shelf is for baking products, one shelf holds oils and vinegars, another holds all of the dried beans, rice and noodles, and the last shelf holds all of the snack type foods. I am really anal about where things are put away because I hate to have to go looking for something when I am trying to cook. My DH and my son know if they can't remember where something belongs when they are emptying the dishwasher to just leave it on the counter for me to put it where it belongs.
    Riley
  • Wed, May 2 2012 3:21 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

The only foolproof way to keep everything exactly where I want it is to KEEP THEM OUT!!!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, May 2 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

I agree with all that's said above. Everything has its own place close to where it is used, and I can move around in my kitchen on pure routine, without thinking or having to look for anything. I stretch out my arm in that angel in that direction and grab exactly what I want. - Letting DDs put away the spices is equal to disaster! 

• Thu, May 3 2012 8:55 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

grame:
    The only foolproof way to keep everything exactly where I want it is to KEEP THEM OUT!!!

It works best that way in my home as well, lol.

• Wed, Sep 12 2012 3:10 AM In reply to

• larryjohnson
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 12 2012
    • 830 S Valleywood Cir, Hixson, TN 37343
    • Posts 1

Kitchen is considered to be a heart of any home for a number of activities. Hence it is important to maintain its shine and gleam all the time, so that family members moving and dwelling in this area can feel energetic and enthusiastic staying there and people enjoy doing things, right from preparing meal or supper or having a good family time. The only best way to do this job is to consider kitchen remodeling. We have remodeled our kitchen recently and its organized very well. All the plates are properly arranged in the new cherry color cabintes. We use our new granite vanity countertops carefully so that no scratches or stain occurs.:)
  • Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:29 PM In reply to

• letitia
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 11 2012
    • Posts 6

I need to renovate my kitchen, and i think the site you have mentioned in your post could be the best place for buying new kitchen cabinets, so thanks for sharing it here. I have selected a few items from the site and will hopefully buy them soon.

• Thu, Oct 11 2012 12:44 PM In reply to

Designate a Baking Center, Food Prep center, Canning center, Cooking center, and Small Appliance area.

Store as much as possible behind doors and in drawers to keep your kitchen looking neat. I have a small crock for daily used utensils and a blue canning jar for a few others. ( I have the crock by the wood cookstove that I use in cold weather and the jar of utensils next to my electric stove, so i actually have 2 'kitchen' type areas to keep organized depending on what season it is.)

Make use of rubbermaid stand-alone shelving that fits inside of cabinets and on shelves to add more storage space. A corner metal shelf rack inside a cabinet holds my various sized dinner plates without actually stacking them on top of each other.

I have a magnetic set of hooks on the side of fridge for hanging my wisks and a set of hooks on the wall for my potholders and oven mits.

We are awaiting our kitchen remodeling and have our cabinets bought ($650 at habitat for Humanity Restore...complete kitchen and bath cabinets!) and 2 countertops bought and stored. I have picked out flooring, but will wait to buy yet.I have a newer dishwasher ($75 at Restore) in storage too. Brand new cabinets are so overpriced. Our bath need to be finished this winter before we can start on the kitchen. And that comes after the new furnace and water heater gets finished (that dh is working on currently.) BTW our appliances were bought at the Restore ($50 self cleaning high-end stove) and Menards ($650 for our dream 25 cu ft fridge with the water and ice on the door)  You CAN do a remodel on the cheap if you work at it and aren't impatient.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Oct 11 2012 1:27 PM In reply to

My one big kitchen organisation tip is to keep the counters and kitchen table cleared of clutter. I'm constantly making sure everything is put away where it's supposed to go instead of letting it all pile up everywhere. I also drill into my family to keep the dishes washed. Nothing is more off-putting than to come into the kitchen to start cooking a meal and finding dishes have just been piling up all day. If ya see 'em start to take over the sink and counter, take a minute or two and either wash 'em or pop 'em into the dishwasher! LOL
    "The business of life is the acquisition of memories." --Mr. Carson
  • Fri, Oct 12 2012 9:00 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    $650 at habitat for Humanity Restore...complete kitchen and bath cabinets!)

Good deal!

I have seen some really good looking stuff but the msc pieces would not have worked for someone with a larger room to do. Someone with less cabinetry to do would have made a great deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us