Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Rules of Regifting

Last post 01-25-2008 8:25 PM by gayla50. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-14-2007 1:58 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Rules of Regifting

Re-gifting is becoming more popular as people are getting into the trend of bargain hunting. What are the do's and don'ts of re-gifting?

What items on your gift list have been closet finds?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-15-2007 1:19 AM In reply to

Re: The Rules of Regifting

I have given my sister-in-law a jewelry box, years ago, that was sitting on the shelf in my closet, i already had a large one.  I gave my son a clock that he had admired for a while, we hadn't had it out in several years.  I don't remember who gave it to us, so maybe that's not really a technical re-gift.  I gave my Dad a stack of 50's outdoor magazines last year for Christmas, they came from a coworker of my husbands, he loved them!  I think that re-gifting should count all of the stuff that folks give you at any time, whether it was intended as a gift or not.  We got a huge pile of "stuff"  when some friends cleaned out their garage, I will surely re-gift some of that.  What do you think?

• 12-15-2007 11:23 AM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,460

I've regifted a few times, but don't often, because I don't often receive things I don't want or that I can get away with getting rid of.

Here's a site about regifting that I found a few days ago: http://regiftable.com/Default.aspx which is kind of fun.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-15-2007 11:31 AM In reply to

Being the same size, my sis and I exchange from each other's wardrobe... not just at Christmas but anytime. She's given me stuff that she's gotten for gifts but knows that who gave it won't be seeing me  in it so that's how we determine re-gifting. (Got a scarf that she won't use that she got from her mom-in-law).

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 12-17-2007 6:03 PM In reply to

I was able to help out a friend by donating several 're-gifts' for door prizes at a Christmas cookie party - she was very appreciative.  I even wrapped and be-ribboned them beautifully with re-used paper and ribbons. 

I donated a 5" TV that we never took out of the box to a local pet store that needed raffle items. 

I gave a tea set that had been given to me to a friend to re-gift as her money is extra tight this year and she needed a gift for her sil. 

The only boo-boo I've had happen is that when I went to re-gift a coffee carafe at a distant friend's wedding shower, I noticed as I was beginning to wrap it that it smelled of coffee!  I washed that sucker with everything I had in the house and it still smelled - and it was too late and I was too broke to do anything differently.  I gave it as a gift Embarrassed.  It was a good lesson to me to double-check everything that's been 'previously given to be absolutely certain it's in giveable condition...Liz

• 12-17-2007 6:13 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:
    The only boo-boo I've had happen is that when I went to re-gift a coffee carafe at a distant friend's wedding shower, I noticed as I was beginning to wrap it that it smelled of coffee!  I washed that sucker with everything I had in the house and it still smelled - and it was too late and I was too broke to do anything differently.  I gave it as a gift Embarrassed.  It was a good lesson to me to double-check everything that's been 'previously given to be absolutely certain it's in giveable condition...

A way to distract from being "used" would have been stick a small bag of coffee in it so it would have a reason for the smell.     

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 12-17-2007 6:44 PM In reply to

Ahhh, brilliant, Luvd!!!  Where were you when I needed ya...??  Liz
  • 12-17-2007 6:53 PM In reply to

The usual way I get rid of gifts that I wouldn't use is by donating them to raffles, door prizes etc.

My Family's Interests
  • 01-25-2008 8:25 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

my niece gave me a really ugly table cloth I donated my Sil said you know I gave one just like that to Leigh Anne ... 

this year the ugly fruit cake a friend sent to us just before Thanksgiving I gave to my Sil she gave to her Daughter who gave to her brother his wife brought to my house on Christmas . I stopped the madnes I threw it away and put cookies in the tin

My Mother in law gave me a tea set when we got married 30 + years ago my SIl told me she gave to her she said I gave she got from her Mother in law and wait for years to give to some one .  

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us