Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Stretching the Life of Underwear

Last post Mon, Apr 16 2012 7:48 PM by cheapChic. 78 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:34 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Stretching the Life of Underwear

Using the dryer may be convenient but it can damage the elastic in underpants and socks. To make underwear last longer, hang dry them.

It saves money!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sat, Apr 7 2012 11:40 PM In reply to

Re: Stretching the Life of Underwear

I wish I could hang our clothes out to dry but my son has really bad allergies and asthma and I would end up spending more for meds than I would to replace the underwear.
    Riley
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 2:16 AM In reply to

Riley, we use a folding drying rack inside the house.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 6:06 AM In reply to

• adegea
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 3 2012
    • spain
    • Posts 19

I always hang our clothes. In my building every flat has a zone planned for this but when I lived in a flat that doesn't have it, I hung inside on a folding drying rack, as spiderdust said.

http://adegeas.blogspot.com.es/
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 7:21 AM In reply to

I hang dry a lot of my clothing to prevent shrinking but SOCKS AND UNDERWARE always get done in the dryer. Why? Well, I watched a show where a medical doctor was giving advice on less exposure to germs and bacteria. Moisture is a breeding ground for bacteria. If socks and underware are wet, hung and somehow come in contact with bacteria then it can cause bacteria to grow. I did an experiment to see and it DID happen. I SAW IT GROW. Sorry but not willing to risk it. Socks and underware are always things that should be replaced often not stretched - in my opinion. These are also two things I would never thrift or hand me down wear. No can or will do.

Taken from a site, hope some folks really take this to heart...

"In washing briefs and panties, it is a golden rule to separate them from the rest of the laundry. Undergarments are breeding grounds for germs and bacteria. Tight-fitting underwear is an ideal habitat for Candida yeast, which causes irritation and other skin problems. The bacteria can easily transfer to other clothing in the washing machine and so it should be washed separately.

Believe it or not, there are tracks of urine and *** always left on the underwear. According to experts, about a gram of *** can be found on an average pair of underwear. Thus, germs easily cultivate in these garments and fast.

Undergarments should be washed in hot water. For colored underwear, you should wash it in cold water. Make sure you read the instruction tag on the brief or panty before putting it in the washer. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully. Some undergarments are required to be washed by hands while others should be washed in a certain cycle.

Use mild, hypoallergenic detergent. You can bleach the stubborn stains; but if there’s none, you better not use this product. You don’t want to expose your child to strong cleaning chemicals at a young age. See the instructions on the amount of soap needed in washing undergarments. Make sure that you rinse it thoroughly and there are no traces of detergent residues.

Do not use fabric softeners especially the scented ones. The perfume can cause skin reactions and yeast infections. For a safer option, throw in a teaspoon of vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Undergarments should be dried completely immediately after washing to prevent bacteria from growing. Also, it is best if you air dry these rather than using the dryer. Spin drying underwear may cause them to shrink."

Um, sorry but no thank you. That's just downright gross, unsanitary and wrong to happen. Another ones that stirs me up. I hope whoever is hang drying their under garments is doing it in the most SANITARY way as possible... and if dealing with infants and kids, eldery or those with urinary or bowel problems I hope they aren't hang drying these things at ALL.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:13 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

LifeofRiley:
    I wish I could hang our clothes out to dry but my son has really bad allergies and asthma

We have lived in a place where I could not hang at certain times of the year because of pollen. We had a no shoes in the house policy and the kids had to take off the clothing they wore outside after coming in.

It adds to the cost but it's much cheaper than medication and poor health.

• Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:29 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I hope whoever is hang drying their under garments is doing it in the most SANITARY way as possible

I hang clothes immediately after washing and prefer days with sun and breeze but that doesn't always happen. On damp days, I use the dryer.

I did hang diapers when my little one was an infant as we had no dryer then. Dryers are a convenience we have come to rely on in the U.S. but many really are having to rethink the cost of operating one and it certainly is not the same in other countries.

• Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:15 AM In reply to

• adegea
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 3 2012
    • spain
    • Posts 19

I agree with Brandy.

http://adegeas.blogspot.com.es/
  • Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:55 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

re: germs/bacteria in laundered clothing/line dried clothing

I have used the cold water setting almost exclusively for 34 years of doing laundry.  The exception would be cloth diapers, or other extremely dirty/soiled items. Diapers were always line dried.  Other laundry items were frequently line dried. For the past 10 years, line drying of all items with a few exceptions of using the dryer until clothing is dry.  We do fluff the wrinkles out of certain clothing items for a few minutes before hanging to air dry.  Bleach is used as needed--which is rarely.

For 34 years, myself, dh, and children have been very healthy. 

My experience has proven to me that the dangers of lurking bacteria in washed/line dried laundry is overblown.  I googled around looking for actual research/studies concerning bacteria levels in washed laundry/washing machines but all I found were the same repeated statements with no links/cites to the statistical research.

Call me skeptical! Huh?

Line drying prolongs the new look of all fabrics/clothing items, and definitely extends the life of the dryer itself, in addition to lowering electrical/gas consumption.  We live in a northern state which means 6 months of outdoor drying weather--if we are lucky.  We have clothes line strung in the basement and drying racks, which enables us to line/air dry year round, no matter what the weather.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Sun, Apr 8 2012 10:19 AM In reply to

I don't expect anyone, especially at a forum like THIS ONE, to agree with me and am sure many are going to defend why they do what they do and that's cool for you but not for me. It doesn't change how I feel about things, length of time anyone has been doing this or "sanitation set up" - I still view it all the same, a don't do. All I can say is I am glad to hear friends here have not dealt with nasty bacteria growth/etc. from line drying undergarments! There was another thread I as the pin in a haystack too riding solo on my sanitary train, this makes the second LOL I will go choo choo my way to the nearest dryer now, thanks a ton!
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 8 (79 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us