Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Devestating Dilemmas = Life Lessons???

Last post Wed, Apr 4 2012 6:51 AM by 4givennotperfect. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 7:48 AM

Devestating Dilemmas = Life Lessons???

Have you had something happen in your life that at the time seemed completely devestating and/or depressing but in the long run left you with valuable life lessons that made the entire situation worth it in positive ways? If so, share your situation-story and what you learned along the way!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Re: Devestating Dilemmas = Life Lessons???

I was diagnosed with a terminal illness...four years ago.  It's something I live with, everyday.  But, rather than dwell on it, I take each day one at a time, and l only dwell on the positives.  I know it may sound odd, but have never been happier.  Life is good!
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 5:20 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 26 2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

I have been thru many life altering changes in the last 6 years...the kind when you think it cant get anyworse it does.  I look back and as my mother says...what doesn' kill you will make you stronger. 

May 2005 was the worst year for me, so I thought, until 2011 rolled around that the hits just kept on coming.  In May 2005, I found out that for 5 years my daughter had kept had kept it a secret that my son had molested her...5 years earlier.  Its devastating enough to find out your child has been molested by a stranger, but there are no words to describle when it is one of your own children.  In Sept. 2005 she had her first suicide attemp.  In Nov 2005 I was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer and went through 6 months of chemo.  In Feb. 2006 while I was in month 2 of chemo, she attempted suicide again.  This time she was hospitalized for a week.   In May 2006 I lost my job in the middle of chemo and with the job loss went my medical benifits.  5 months into chemo and no medical benifits is something no one should go thru. 

In Feb. 2011 I was laid off from my job of 11 years.  In Aug. of 2011, I found out the man I was living with for 23 years, had been living with another woman for 18 of those 23 years.  I was so beyond devastated that I could not see the light and didnt care if I ever did, thus I had 2 hospitalizations in 2 months for 2 weeks each time for suicidal thoughts, as my world had shattered into grains of sand and I just didnt have strength to attempt to pick up the pieces.  I am a survivor which with each life altering change....I have come out so much stronger.

themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 7:55 PM In reply to

Ten months ago I was diagnosed with cancer-now into my second round with chemo- it is not working. Dr has said he will try another go around with chemo after this if I want to, but the chemo has been rough, so I may not make it through round 3.

I am at peace with whatever happens-took a while to get to this point. I realized the only things that matter are relationships, nothing else. Just taking it one day at a time and enjoying the time I do have with my DH and my sons. I have a grandbaby due end of September... looking forward to that with hope.

SS

• Tue, Apr 3 2012 8:38 PM In reply to

I would have to say that all the medical issues I have had to get used to dealing with on an on going basis was very depressing at the time of diagnosis but I have learned and am continuing to learn how to deal with it. Before diagnosis I was extremely busy with work, kids and trying to keep everything running on my timetable. I wanted to be in control at all times. I have learned to slow down and realize that I can't do everything. I believe God is trying to teach me patience ( I sometimes think he is sitting in heaven laughing at how stubborn I can be) and that I am not the one in charge. I have also learned perseverence. I was diagnosed with arthritis as a child. You have to live the life you were given and make the most of it no matter what.
    Riley
  • Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:17 PM In reply to

Riley, AMEN to all of that. God is in charge, lean not on our own understandings but trust in HIM!

Beautiful thoughts, shares and moral of the stories everyone. Touching. Thank you.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 1:43 AM In reply to

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope this last round will work. I have come to the same conclusion - I am 65 and have already lived a longer life than many. Railing against what comes into my life and health does nothing but create anger and bitterness. I try to concentrate on living now and focusing on all the good things I have, while resting in acceptance of what might come.

• Wed, Apr 4 2012 6:51 AM In reply to

I am at a pivotal point in my life right now. After years of various painful experiences and running from them I feel I am crossing a line into a level of understanding and trust in God I have never had. Oddly I am finding it simple but very difficult. To all who have posted, my heart goes out to you and I wish you peace and healing.

Hell hath no fury like a woman who has lost her coupons
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us