Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dollar Store Eating

Last post Tue, Jun 18 2013 7:23 AM by brenl. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 8:57 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Dollar Store Eating

For many, the $1 prices from many dollar stores are beating the cost of $1.09, $1.29 or more that other stores are charging for the same kind of product.

What's on your regular menus that has come from the dollar store?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:01 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Re: Dollar Store Eating

we dont have a Dollar Store in the area  but our Dollar General is putting in a huge cooler type thng and they tell us they going for some like the Dollar does elsewhere .. 

ok educate me whats does the Dollar store offer ??z 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:07 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

When dh/I want to buy snacks such as cashews, candy or chips, the dollar store gets our business--prices can't be beat.  The Dollar Store franchise, in my area, sells Folgers Country Roast coffee/34 oz. for $7.75!  Can't beat that price as we don't coupon.  As with anything, be sure to know your prices and check the package size--there are great bargains, and not so great at the dollar stores. 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, Mar 28 2012 9:51 AM In reply to

• johna
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Rhode Island
    • Posts 16

I am very careful about buying food from the Dollar Store. Many of the snack foods contain trans-fat. That stuff will kill you. Also, I found that many of the foods were imported from China. They do not have the same regulations that we have in the US. Better safe than sorry. Also, you can find great deals at Aldi's. Most of their products are all-natural, and do not contain trans-fat and taste great. I can buy cans of diced tomatoes for 49 cents! (Cheaper than the dollar store in my area).
    visit my blog for a free budget workbook, and lots of money saving advice:
    http://livingonabeerbudget.com
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:22 AM In reply to

There's a Dollar General near me, as well as a Dollar Store - but both sell only processed foods, which I use very little of, and when I have looked at the canned goods, they are often very near, or past, their expiration date.  I can get the same price at Costco for buying in bulk, on foods that are much farther from their expiration dates.  Because of this, I haven't bought any food at a dollar store in years.  If I did not have a membership at Costco (which, incidentally, has very good prices on produce in season), I would probably buy more canned goods there, but as it is, I don't shop there for grocery items.  I do occasionally buy hard goods such as panty hose there, but that's about it.
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:27 AM In reply to

I get most of my food from Aldi, but they don't sell black beans or kidney beans and the local $1 stores do, so I try to get them there when I can.  I've purchased frozen blueberries before, too, but not in the last several months.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 10:44 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

our dollar stores only carry limited items mostly snacks, candy and cookies no frozen etc but a good place to get pudding/jello mixes,  brown sugar or icing sugar,mini marshmellows. they have fruit cups but that isn't really healthy. but I get them for dh once in a while.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:13 AM In reply to

Funny you bring this up, just yesterday I was reading those "dollar store diet" blogs because I find them very interesting and like to see how different dollar stores vary. Example - some carry fresh produce, daiy, and fridge and freezer items. Our local ones do not. Anyhow, some of those blogs are great... a lot of character put in it and laughter throughout all the ups and downs of the dollar store diet hunts.

I don't shop the dollar store much for food items. Occasionally I might score some imported olives, marinated peppers, pepperocini, sea salt and Mexican spices. I see my local one has started to carry dry pinto and black beans and also brown rice. Then there is your usual fair of processed stuff in bags, boxes, cans and jars... This is our local Dollar Tree. I find my baragins elsewhere and am leary about some dollar store food minus a few things listed above which are rare for me to buy there but every now and then I will treat a jar or two of those olives or peppers for handy purposes.

Anyhow, if I had to make a menu for 3 meals in a day of strictly dollar store food to serve from my local Dollar Tree I would end up with something like this:

Breakfast --- Oatmeal - rolled oats if I was lucky ... mixed with raisins and pineapple chunks in 100 percent pineapple juice

Lunch --- Garbonzo, kidney and no-salt green bean salad with sunflower seeds and Italian dry herbs/olive oil drizzle

Dinner --- Brown rice topped with roasted red peppers and a side of ... slow cooker pinto or black beans with mexican dried chiles and cumin spice... If they had dried garlic or onions I would include those too

That would be my best bet at keeping things whole grain, high fiber and vegetarian protein balanced. Would really hate to ever have to serve any meal without fresh fruit or veggies and honestly not sure if I could feel content doing this,,, would love to see our local dollar stores offering them for folks. I get most of my produce at the farmer's market and grow my own and am very blessed to have this access.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 11:58 AM In reply to

The only thing I buy at the dollar store is El Pato canned jalapeno salsa. My son loves the stuff. The small can in the grocery store costs me .79 and the large can at the dollar store is a buck and 3x the size of the smaller can. I pick up 3-4 cans when I go to the dollar store.
    Riley
  • Wed, Mar 28 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

LifeofRiley:
    El Pato canned jalapeno salsa..
    LOVE THAT STUFF TOO!!! and  I buy the 32 oz can from the 99 cent store here too.. Ok we have a few dollar type stores here in the greater Phoenix area..

99 cents store- Prices can be 29 cents - $1.00 canned foods including name brand however 32oz generic canned food better prices then say a can that is 12 oz for the same dollar (black beans)

• Fresh foods- mushrooms/different types of peppers/zucchini/squash/bagged lettuce/spinach/potatoes/apples/radishes/peeled garlic
    • Lots of canned foods and jarred foods 12 oz to 32 oz cans bags of spices and jars (garlic/peppers/cumin/ground ginger)
    • Bags of beans/pasta/rices
    • Breads-Milk-cheese-meats-yogurts
    • Soda
    • Non-food- Lots of thing

Dollar tree-Prices $1.00

• canned foods generic/rices/pasta
    •  Day old bread from Sara Lee (buns/bagels/rolls/breads
    • Milk/pepperoni/sour cream
    • Spices
    • Non-foods Lots
    • Soda

Dollar General-lots of foods items but they are not all a $1.00 but stil may be cheaper the the store

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

Page 1 of 3 (30 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us