Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frozen Vegetables

Last post 07-17-2012 11:08 AM by gayla50. 32 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2012 8:17 PM In reply to

Re: Frozen Vegetables

alohoa now you done it Im hungry again and I just had dinner its great to have blends and also theveggie by its self so good with other side dish's.

• 03-27-2012 11:00 PM In reply to

I keep some 2-lb bags of frozen brocoli, cauliflower, peas and beans ($1/lb) in the freezer. I use them seldom - I have my own pole beans and squash and turnips, and I eat my vegetables raw. I use the frozen ones to add to soup or pasta.

• 03-27-2012 11:19 PM In reply to

I really like Aloha's idea as I haven't had luck with the CA blend veggies. They don't come out tender enough for my teeth and that's been the issue. I will have to try her sautee idea. I have done similar but not 2 pot transfers just one long sautee but no browning as a second approach. Thanks for the idea dear! love garlic too... and olive oil!

Sea, love raw veggies, whatever I can chew I will devour. Some raw ones I just no longer can't and in that case if I want to keep them raw I can FINELY chop or puree. Otherwise I can have fun roasting, sauteeing and steaming! I like them nice and tender for the teeth! Solutions, always!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-28-2012 11:29 PM In reply to

BB, you are sweet-sweet-sweet!! I worry about you and I hope that the idea works for you, too!!!
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • 03-29-2012 7:06 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

I use frozen vegetables as side dishes or in recipes. I forgot to mention them as items I get from the dollar store. While I can get them from Dollar Tree for $1, the grocery store is now $1.29 for the same quality and size bag and rarely put them on sale now.

I do get the mixed veggies as they are the same price and convenient for soups or stir fries.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-29-2012 8:18 AM In reply to

I make pasta and peas. I boiled 4 oz. of whole wheat pasta. In the meantime, I saute 1/4 med sliced onion in a bit of olive oil. I add an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, two cups of frozen peas and a half a tsp of oregano. Cook until pasta is done. Add the pasta to the tomato sauce mixture and combine. Then I serve with romano cheese on top. Makes two servings. It's Italian "fast food".
  • 03-29-2012 9:32 AM In reply to

I use frozen mixed vegetables from Costco for many recipes. As a single person, I get a lot more variety, with less waste, that way - if I buy fresh, I end up eating the same thing for a week instead of having a mixture of vegetables.  I still buy fresh vegetables in season, but there are several nights a week when I'm not home to cook - having pre-made frozen entrees and frozen vegetables that I can reheat for lunches and dinners makes life a lot simpler.

• 04-01-2012 7:41 PM In reply to

I really like Kroger bell pepper and onion mix and use it frequently. I like to add it to taco meat or seasoned black beans nachos, tacos, etc. We generally keep broccoli florets, green beans, corn, peas & carrots, and spinach in the freezer. And I keep frozen mashed sweet potatoes, too, but that's done homemade. We buy fresh salad fixin's every week just about -- lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, cukes, fresh bell pepper, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. We don't buy them all every week, but we pick a few that we want or are in season and reasonably priced. I use frozen veg a lot in the off-season when fresh is hard to come by. They make simple side dishes and are quick and easy enough for either microwave cooking or stovetop cooking.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 04-01-2012 8:27 PM In reply to

We use lots of frozen vegetables, some from the store and some that we freeze ourselves. Shopping in my area is really pretty bad--if I want organic fruit or veggies that I can't/don't grow or that one of my local farmers doesn't, I have to buy frozen because we simply don't have local stores that carry much in the way of organic. And, even the non-organic produce here is often nearly unusable due to spoilage, etc. So, I stock up on frozen organic veggies when I make it to Whole Foods, and have friends that purchase them for me from Wegman's & Trader Joe's in quantity. We try to freeze as much seasonal, local stuff as we can, as well, and I use it all the time in almost everything. Stir-fry and kebabs are about the only things I really balk at using frozen veggies in--I don't care for the texture of frozen in those. But, in soups, casseroles, or as side dishes, we use frozen more often than fresh probably half the year. As someone else said, whipped cauliflower actually works better for me from frozen than from fresh!
    "This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
  • 04-03-2012 11:09 PM In reply to

• mum2four
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-26-2009
    • So. California
    • Posts 332

I buy all vegetables organic and raw.  I do not like cooked vegetables but anything raw I will eat.  The only frozen vegetables I will eat are the organic peppers and onions from whole foods.
    themusingsofavintageheart.blogspot.com
Page 2 of 4 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us