Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frozen Vegetables

Last post Tue, Jul 17 2012 11:08 AM by gayla50. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:10 PM

Frozen Vegetables

I've seen a lot of folks here using frozen vegetables on a regular basis. Frozen vegetables can really come in handy when fresh is not available, you are over stock on home grown or gift given vegetables, on a tight budget and can't afford as much fresh as you'd like but still want to eat healthy, etc.

Please share some of your favorite ways to use frozen vegetables! Do you buy the mixes and blends? make your own? any family friendly ways to use your frozen veggies? your favorite ways to use them please? Share ideas and get ideas!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:15 PM In reply to

Re: Frozen Vegetables

california blend frozen veggies from krogers like that it goes in a stir fry first I nuke it for 2 minutes then throw in fresh mushrooms and onions oh garlic... on the side wild rice with a bean mixture in it so I can have a meatless day today...Bing did I get this right....????????????????

• Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:33 PM In reply to

You got it Cindy, spon on target buckaroo-gal! Kroger has some fun frozen veggies in the 12 ounce bags and it's a score when they are on 98 cents sale... they have your beyond the basic individual and mixes. Have you tried those ones? they are a bit smaller and a little less frugal but good selection. I'm picky about frozen veggies since I am always so well stocked on fresh but Kroger's fun bags have really come in handy when I needed to pull off a quick stir fry... soup... omlette... or needed something like cut okra, black eyed peas, lima beans, etc for something quick and easy. I roast their frozen brussels sprouts and they are divine.

This is what their packaging looks like, have you tried any of them? you might like the italian and asian blends for quick soups!

Frozen Veggies

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Mar 26 2012 11:37 PM In reply to

I don't usually use a lot of frozen vegetables. I keep frozen corn in the freezer for my son and usually 1 bag of peas and carrots. I use the corn in my chicken tortilla soup and my son eats corn with his dinner sometimes. The peas and carrots I use in my minestroni soup, vegetable soup, chicken pot pie or if the dogs are having stomach troubles I will cook up some chicken and rice and throw in a handful of peas and carrots. I prefer to use fresh vegetables whenever possible.
    Riley
  • Tue, Mar 27 2012 12:03 AM In reply to

BargainBinge:

You got it Cindy, spon on target buckaroo-gal! Kroger has some fun frozen veggies in the 12 ounce bags and it's a score when they are on 98 cents sale... they have your beyond the basic individual and mixes. Have you tried those ones? they are a bit smaller and a little less frugal but good selection. I'm picky about frozen veggies since I am always so well stocked on fresh but Kroger's fun bags have really come in handy when I needed to pull off a quick stir fry... soup... omlette... or needed something like cut okra, black eyed peas, lima beans, etc for something quick and easy. I roast their frozen brussels sprouts and they are divine.

This is what their packaging looks like, have you tried any of them? you might like the italian and asian blends for quick soups!

Frozen Veggies

Cool thats what we get yUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMie I throw parsely on it and some butter with onion now Im hungry again Well what do ya know I got it on the butten for a change I get a brownie butten and a swift kick in the keyster...Stick out tongue

• Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:02 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I use some frozen vegatbles for Stir fry . 

I use frozen home made corn alot ...

I can so much that I usually have what I need

I do pick up frozen little onions that a real time and good price 

frozen vegetables are very good and  lot of time they are on sale . 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:02 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I use some frozen vegatbles for Stir fry . 

I use frozen home made corn alot ...

I can so much that I usually have what I need

I do pick up frozen little onions that a real time and good price 

frozen vegetables are very good and  lot of time they are on sale . 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:31 AM In reply to

The nice thing about frozen veggies is that they can save a trip to the store if I keep several kinds on hand. So if a recipe calls for a cup of corn or a package of spinach, I often don't need to run to the store if I have it in the freezer. I had so many extra peppers last summer, I sliced them and froze them and we've enjoyed them in fajitas all winter long.

I use quite a bit of frozen corn as we can't get good fresh unless in season (mouth watering for fresh from farm sweet corn!!!). I keep a large bag on hand in the freezer for a quick side dish. I also buy frozen green beans to have on hand as in the winter, the fresh are not in good shape and are expensive. When mixed veggies are on super sale, I buy a bag or two for use in a quick veggie soup. I also keep a box or two of frozen spinach on hand.

I prefer fresh and try and buy seasonally so I get the best bargain for my shopping dollars.

Erika
  • Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:45 AM In reply to

I am with you all on the fresh factor and am blessed to have this house a constant indoor farmer's market with fresh produce... tons of organic, seasononal and local. I also grow whatever I can. This is a true blessing though - not all have the access some of us do and frozen is their best bet. Frozen veggies are not staples for us here but handy helpers. I like to keep them on hand at all times for quick pull/need. It's fun to see how others are using them. Also, count your blessings to all who have access to fresh. They are the most beautiful gift from God!

• Tue, Mar 27 2012 12:43 PM In reply to

We really like to make smashed cauliflower using frozen cauliflower. To me it cooks up a little nicer than fresh, although if I can find that awesome purple cauliflower I prefer to use that just because it looks so.... interesting. (I kinda have a thing for purple vegetables, I have no clue why LOL)

We also use at least twice a week the california blend of broc, carrots & cauliflower from Costco. I just put a tiny bit of water in the skillet, throw in the veggies and put the lid on. Then after the water is cooked out, I pull the veggies out and throw in a pat of butter and some diced garlic--- then I put the veggies back in and brown them on one side. Everyone loves them that way!

SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
Page 1 of 4 (33 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us