Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

I have embraced "minimalism" ...kind of

Last post 08-19-2012 11:50 AM by LivingFrugal. 23 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2012 6:46 PM In reply to

Re: I have embraced "minimalism" ...kind of

I use to clean out things on a regular basis, usually before the children's and my holidays. Then we can enjoy a staycation in a clean and clutter-free home!

I DO store things like good-quality clothes and shoes, household items and nonperishable food. I know they may come in handy one day, as I have a low income and I can't expect it to increase in the future.

As for clothes, I like to buy many items all at once. That gives me a much lower price per item than if I had bought them one or two at the time. I keep the styles and the colours classic and I prefer to buy a medium-prized quality of clothes, neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. The clothes keep good for many years, and it feels good to be able to shop the cupboards, when the weather and seasons change! - Every item, though, must be able to defend its existence in the cupboard, only useful items are allowed to stay!

Apart from this, it is wonderful to have a home that is without clutter! It takes less time and energy to clean, and if you happen to have health issues, you need your time and energy to do other things.

• 03-27-2012 10:24 PM In reply to

Another reason I am reluctant to get rid of clothing, and towels is that sometimes people are in real need, and I have something to give if they've lost their home to a flood, for example.

• 03-28-2012 7:31 PM In reply to

seaturtle:

Another reason I am reluctant to get rid of clothing, and towels is that sometimes people are in real need, and I have something to give if they've lost their home to a flood, for example.

That is very wise, indeed, Seaturtle!!!

In the village where I live now, my teenaged daughters came home from school one day and told me that the whole home of one of their classmates had burnt down during the night. They were lucky nobody was really hurt, but they had absolutely no worldy possessions left!

The principal and the teachers asked the pupils of the school, and their families, to help their friend and her family with whatever they could in form of small money or clothes and household items! - I thought it was a very good initiative!!! - We ended up giving some money, because we (I) had just decluttered the house and we had no items to give...

• 03-28-2012 9:08 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I really envy all of you .  I am a pack rat of sorts . DH is worse than I am ,,,  we still have the truck he had when I married him it still works ..

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 03-29-2012 9:47 PM In reply to

Gayla, that is some truck!

• 04-02-2012 5:54 AM In reply to

Right now I am in the process of getting rid of literally almost half of everything I own. I am donating to those in need and it feels so much better than trying to sell everything for money. I've always loved donating though and this time there is SO MUCH stuff I just want to let go of and release. I know others who NEED it and can USE it will love what they get. There is so much though so we are tackling it box by box, space by space. Saturday we did the entire bottom of my bedroom closet and some bedroom furniture. I have a lot of furniture to go and thankfully there are a few places here that pick up donations and actually give them directly to those in need and not try to resell... or the shelter networks can use them in their shelter homes and offices. Cothing, accessories, toys, trinkets, bed and bath stuff... shoes... books... you name it, it's on it's way out. I want a more simple life, no clutter or chaos and a zen like peaceful environment. I like simple with earth elements and open space... so sick of hoarding and clutter. Things are being done a lot different this year. If I'm not going to wear it or use it then my outlook is that someone else WILL so let them enjoy it please.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 04-04-2012 1:20 AM In reply to

Kudo, Bb! You are inspiring me. What a big challenge for you!

• 04-16-2012 5:52 PM In reply to

I've enjoyed reading what you all have to share, and I'd like to revisit the topic.

Without going into a lot of detail I have aluded to the fact that I deal with health issues. Over the past twenty years I have moved a number of times, from several full-sized houses to apartments and even to one room with an attached bath. Currently live in a very small apt with a workable kitchen and decent sized bath. During each of those moves I left things behind and given them away. It's a practice I continue to this day.

I find I am loving minimalizing more and more. I keep thinking, 'of what value will this be to anyone when I die? Is it just going to make work for someone to have to sort through? Does anyone want it now? Would my family be able to quickly find any/all pertinent forms and documents to make their task easier? Am I using it on a regular basis? (at least three or four times a year). Is it pleasing to have around? Is it a quality item or just a piece of ugly, plastic junk?

What about food storage? Have I eaten any of it over the last six months? Would someone else enjoy it? How much does God want me to keep on hand so that I am not a burden on others and yet not a hoarder, either?

Reading about the experiences of others who had to make split second decisions when fire and/or flood threatened them makes me want to have all the really important things easily accessible in case of emergency evacuation: legal documents, picture dvds, my Bible, some cash, a little food and water, addresses and phone numbers, and so on.

"Miss Minimalist"

http://www.missminimalist.com/category/real-life-minimalists/page/3/

has a blog in which she shares her journey to minimalism, and articles by people who, to some degree or other, practice minimal lifestyles. One recurring theme in their stories is the sense of freedom they enjoy when they no longer feel owned ( and burdened) by their belongings.

There are degrees of minimalism that I could never aspire to, nor do I want to. I don't want to sleep on the floor, or live in a sea of white.  I still like pretty things, flowers, lovely colors, well made furniture, quality linens, books, music and good food. But after decades of experience I know it takes very little to satisfy these desires with a few well-chosen, items that are useful, durable and beautiful.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • 04-16-2012 6:05 PM In reply to

My mom and I swore after we had to clean out 55 years worth of stuff out of my grandmother's house and garage that we would make sure our kids never had to do that. My grandmother had receipts for her utility bills from when she first got married back in the late 1940's. I throw stuff out or give stuff away on a regular basis. I can't handle clutter.
    Riley
  • 08-13-2012 11:45 PM In reply to

I have decided I'm unwilling to keep stuff for just in case.

If my neighbors needed clothes or towels, I'd give them my own and acquire more myself.
    Maybe this is where frugality and minimalism diverge for a while, but I think, going forward, I will have less stuff to maintain ($), less spent on items because I won't be acquiring ($$), my moves will be cheaper and my housing space needs less ($$$). Although I'll maintain insurance because I do have my business on my computers and I'd need a fast replacement from fire or theft, the overall amount insured would be less, putting me in a cheaper bracket ($).

I still have food storage space, some books that are not ebooks, basic comforts (although my definition of that is fluctuating), and some items I have simply because they are beautiful and I love them.

I'm embracing minimalism to invest less worry, planning and other mental energies in stuff.

Page 2 of 3 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us