Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What can I do to revive old carpet?

Last post 12-13-2007 9:10 AM by PinkLemonade. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2007 11:45 AM

What can I do to revive old carpet?

It's not even that old- 4 years. But it was extremely cheap and is now really flattened. What can I do to fluff it? I've tried steam cleaning it, but didn't seem to go anything. I've seen a rake style gadget tha you can use to fluff it. I don't really want this b/c I'm cheap and I don't want another piece of junk taking up space.

So what are your frugal ideas at fixing this?

• 12-12-2007 11:46 AM In reply to

Re: What can I do to revive old carpet?

What kind of carpet is it? 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 12-12-2007 12:04 PM In reply to

Uhm.... cheap? Wink

It is wall to wall tan carpet. It's not a particulary high (is that the right term?) pile. I don't really know how else to describe it, I don't really know much about carpet. Embarrassed

• 12-13-2007 8:01 AM In reply to

I've tried raking my carpet (18-months old), and I vacuum it 3X a week with a Dyson (and refuse to vacuum any more than that - 2 adults/no pets), and 2 minutes after it's all looking nice you can see it flatening in the high-traffic areas.  What I'm doing is saving my money to replace it with a bamboo floor and be done with nasty-old high-maintanance carpet in the main living area.  I loved it when we had all wood floors in a former home.

BTW - I just brought in a yard rake to rake the nap on our frizee carpet - didn't purchase a special one, but made sure the yard rake was clean before using it. 

~Gingerbread   

• 12-13-2007 8:40 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Is there a way to rearrange the furniture so that the main traffic areas re-configured?  

How about an area rug to lay over the worse of it? 

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 12-13-2007 9:10 AM In reply to

I've moved the furniture in the den, but other rooms there really isn't room (like our bedroom.) We're moving in about 18 mon so I don't want to replace anything. We were going to put in hardwood floors, but with the housing market the way it is we wouldn't get our money back in the sale price, so we decided to just make do.

I'll have to try the "real" rake. They gadgety one was $20!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us