Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Small Batch Canning

Last post Sun, Mar 24 2013 7:03 PM by swedluv. 72 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 7:02 PM

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Small Batch Canning

There was a little discussion on small batch canning in another thread, and I thought I'd open a new thread to share recipes and tips! I do smaller batch canning because I live alone and don't have much pantry storage space. I have even less freezer space though, so it's about finding a balance between those. I make a lot of low-sugar fruit preserves because I mix them into plain yogurt for flavor. I really want to get a pressure canner for soups and low acid vegetables, but I'm a little scared of them so need to get past that first.

I also have an unnatural love for the jars. Embarrassed I use them as drinking glasses, to store other things in the cabinet, and I like to collect different types and have my "favorites."I stuffed 2 quart jars full of wadded up string lights to use as outdoor lighting.

Here is a picture of what I have right now. From left to right, it's cranberry orange preserves, orange segments, peach preserves, plum compote, pears in tea syrup, and bourbon peaches. http://i.imgur.com/EUKsE.jpg

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 10:18 AM In reply to

Re: Small Batch Canning

Juana,

What a great "stash" you have!  Cranberry Orange is so good, isn't it?  Make sure you read, understand and follow the instructions for a pressure canner very closely because you can be in trouble if you mess up!  If you ever have an interst in making jam or jelly I just published an eBook this month on Amazon called Nano-Canning:  The Basics.  I have researched and experimented for several years trying to perfect regular jam and jelly recipes by converting them into Nano-Canning.  That would be exactly two 8-ounce jars per batch.  I have instructions for classic pectin, low sugar, no sugar, no pectin and even high altitude instructions.  This first book was just published this month on Amazon and has basic or most common recipes.  I am currently working on the second book which is about specialty jams........several of which I made up including a Dreamscicle and Cranberry Clove - both are just to die for!  The 3rd and final book will be about Pickles, Peppers, & Beets.  You can find the first book here:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HEXNY2

I too collect jars!  I have some antique mason jars that I got at a thrift store.  I have put old (really old) toys and game pieces in them and display them in my kitchen!  There's just something about a squeeky clean jar isn't there?  ;)  I want to invite you to my blog which concentrates on canning but also has other things on it.  I am here:  http://kellisretrokitchenarts.wordpress.com/  in fact, if you go there now you will find a recipe for Strawberry, Balsamic Vinegar, & Black Pepper jam..........the full recipe is on the site but I was experimenting for my new book and the recipe will be in there!  Good Luck!  If you  have any quesitons, just go to the blog and ask!  KalamityKelli

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 11:24 AM In reply to

What a beautiful web site you have! I highly recommend it!

• Sat, Mar 17 2012 11:31 AM In reply to

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate your endorsement. KK
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 10:42 AM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Thanks Kelli! The book looks great, I added it to my wishlist.

Yesterday I bought some kumquats and do not like them to eat plain- it was the first time I'd tried them. So I'm going to try this marmalade recipe, and probably add in a lemon because I don't quite have a whole pound. http://www.foodinjars.com/2012/01/urban-preserving-small-batch-kumquat-marmalade/

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:18 AM In reply to

I follow Food In Jars and enjoyed the post very much!  You've got a day of work going for you today.  Those little guys take a lot of patience.  When you finish, post a picture because I would LOVE to see it.  I am making lemon and honey jelly today.  It's my first attempt at a Nano-batch so I'm a little nervous.  Good luck!
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 3:19 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I like Food in Jars too. I love canning! Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 6:53 PM In reply to

Hi Juana...I'm so glad you started this thread. After a decades long absence, I started canning again about 4 years ago. I started with tomato sauce,  apple sauce and jams, items that you can do with a water bath canner. But then I did a lot of reading and wanted to do pressure canning. A friend gave me an old pressure canner of hers and after fiddling around with it (unsuccessfully), I just decided to buy a new one. I am so glad I did! At the time it cost around $65.00 at Wal-Mart, but I thought of it as an investment.

Since then I've canned lots of small jars of beef, chicken, pork, beans and split peas. I also make jams ( a favorite is plum), chili sauce and pickles (in the bwc). I don't like home canned corn, but want to try green beans and carrots. Summer or winter, I always have my eyes open for a buy on something I like. Be it meat, veggies or fruits. If I don't freeze it, then it gets canned. It's just so much fun, isn't it?

This stuff is from a month or so ago.

Your jars are beautiful. How do you like canned oranges? It's something new (to me) going around the net.

I hope you can get a pressure canner for yourself eventually. Small jars of beef, chicken or pork, or whatever, are just perfect for one or two servings. I think you'd love it!

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Sat, Mar 24 2012 11:59 AM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

I found some 4 ounce regular mouth jars today! I'd never seen them before, but they're so cute and great for me because sometimes pints or 12-ounce jars are too big. I do miss the 8-ounce wide mouth jelly jars though, I never see them anymore!

budgetwise:

Since then I've canned lots of small jars of beef, chicken, pork, beans and split peas. I also make jams ( a favorite is plum), chili sauce and pickles (in the bwc). I don't like home canned corn, but want to try green beans and carrots. Summer or winter, I always have my eyes open for a buy on something I like. Be it meat, veggies or fruits. If I don't freeze it, then it gets canned. It's just so much fun, isn't it?

You're right, canning is addictive! Every time I'm in a place that sells produce I keep thinking "Ooooh, I wonder if I could can that!" My mom has made our own jams and jellies since I can remember, the story is that she once found a huge bug in a jar of storebought jelly and couldn't buy it again. After I grew up we started branching out into pickles and fruits (and TONS of variations on tomatoes), but still haven't made the leap to pressure canning. I'm mostly interested in pressure canning beans and vegetables, but would be willing to try a jar or two of chicken or fish to see if I like it. I'll have to get serious about shopping for one.

For water bath canning, my specialties are the cranberry/orange preserves and pears I mentioned above, and I also do a great tomatillo salsa and green bean pickles with tons of garlic and a little spiciness.

Pineapples are still on a huge sale at Kroger, so I bought 2 this morning and will make some pints and 4-ounce jars of crushed pineapple this weekend.

• Sat, Mar 24 2012 3:53 PM In reply to

Juana...could you  please post your recipe for green bean pickles? I had them once long ago and really liked them. Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
Page 1 of 8 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us