Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Cash or Credit?

Last post Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:02 PM by Linda Cecil. 14 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 4 2012 5:16 PM In reply to

Re: Cash or Credit?

I use cash, cheques or my trusty debit card.  No credit cards thank heavens- I get into enough trouble as it is without them hanging over my head.  LOL.  Sally.

• Tue, Aug 7 2012 4:53 AM In reply to

I am using credit cards because i think we will have the money by the time the bill gets here  and the meaning of cash is i will spend less because once it is gone, it's gone.

Thanks

http://thirdstream.ca/
  • Sat, Aug 11 2012 11:10 AM In reply to

I keep a spending log, for any purchase that I make all month long. Kind of like keeping a check book for my spending. I've used credit, because it helps me separate when I spend for my work and for my personal, so much easier. I pay it off at the end of the month. It also allows me to keep my money where it is for that duration & I like that security. Using cash never works for me, as I find it harder to keep track and also, a bit limited. Like if I budget wrong for grocery shopping or etc. Plus it's so easy to loose it and not recover it. I don't like using debit, cause it's less security than credit is.

However, with the new law changes, where merchants can charge more for using credit cards now, it may outweigh the rewards in some cases.

This is very tricky now, but looks like I will be making some changes very soon. Just not sure which way to go yet Tongue Tied 

Truth is the most valuable thing we have.
    Let us economize it.
    "Mark Twain"
  • Sat, Aug 11 2012 8:27 PM In reply to

Dear Forumites, I do a lot of shoppipng online at Amazon, & use my Amazon VISA f that. I enjoyed the points (3 f every $1 spent on Amazon, 2 f every $1 spent at Walgreens). I've now realized that that doesn't do me any favors if I don't pay the entire balance off before interest is incurred. This doesn't always work (it didn;t last month or this); plus, as my Darling brother pointed out to me, the great prices that Amazon used to offer are no moer .... SO, I;ve now switched to debit card use in local stores, just as of this month. The transition this month is a little hard, as I have less in checking left after havign paid Amazon than I would have it I didn't have an Amazon bill to contend w .... I have a 2nd VISA card at a lower interest rate, so I pay in the ratio of $100 off it f every $150 I pay to Amazon. Finally, I have one store card, but I've only used it once & have paid it off completely .... Yours in Him, Deborah & Heart
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Government & Charity Assistance

Proud guardian of Heart, a black female Miniature Poodle, a Psychiatric Service Dog

Enter His gates with thanksgiving, His courts with praise; give thanks to Him, bless His Name. (Psalm 100)

Yours in thrift, Deborah

• Sat, Aug 11 2012 9:02 PM In reply to

I use debit card for most purchases credit card for large purchases but keep enough cash if I want a soda or something.  I recently lost my debit card and had to go to the bank and cancel the old card and replace with a new card for about a week had to write checks and keep enough cash for some things.  I don't like keeping cash because it slips through my hand but I will think twice about writing a check using a debit card and most definately using a cc for large purchaes only or just using to keep active.  Some of the places here won't let you put anything on a debit card unless it totals more that $5.00 I see their point because they have to pay to accept debit cards.
Page 2 of 2 (15 items) < Previous 1 2

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us