Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

The Bright Side of Less Money

Last post Sun, Jul 1 2012 9:36 PM by sissy. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 9:48 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Bright Side of Less Money

Have you ever seen a benefit to a lower income? Let's take a look at our lifestyles and see what it has actually been good even if the money is tight.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 10:13 AM In reply to

Re: The Bright Side of Less Money

It makes the family work together.

Less money is less to think about what to do with it.

You get rid of stuff you don't relly need and wonder why you kept it for so long.

You have to decide what is really important.

You stop 'keeping up appearances'.

You appreciate what you have/get much more.

Life is simplified.......look at the Minimalist trend. Having less stuff means more freedom.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:46 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

here it means less taxes and more benefits..not in that catagory but plus side of less money you can honestly tell people you can't afford it!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:54 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Encourages creativity!

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

When DH made less money he collected less stuff so I had less to dust, lol. Which gave me more time to spend with the kids playing in the backyard or doing crafts.
    Riley
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:26 PM In reply to

Well, when I'm in the middle of tight $$ times I sometimes have trouble seeing the "bright side" ... but in the long run, it's worked out.  I really enjoy it when I do save money and have an emergency fund.  I learned to cook from scratch with almost any odd combination of ingredients in the house.  It's not always good, but almost always edible.  I learned to make my own bread, maintain sourdough starter, even raise chickens.  It also taught me to be more creative like someone else has mentioned.

There were plenty of downsides too...but we'll leave those out for now.

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:18 PM In reply to

• mary w.
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 27 2007
    • Austin texas
    • Posts 465

Has brought our family closer.  Not what most people will tell you.  You must get creative with finances and meals and entertainment.  At our house, it has gotten to be a game.  I love to see the proud look on my 20 year old sons face, when he tells me he got a free soda with a coupon or when I gave him a coupon last year for 2 free games of bowling and he tells me they let him and all 3 of his friends play for free on his coupon.  The mngmt actually gave him a coupon to come in and play pool for free for 2 guys for 2 nights.  We love finding ways to make life less expensive and more fun.

mary w.
    Filed under:
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:52 PM In reply to

That we actually get more work around the house done

Finish up my ironing

do my blankets one goes to charity for babies the others one goes to sil and dh and dad

Bright side if I need a bright side is not going out as much and getting better food ideas out and cooked so we don't blow 40 dollars to go out and eat.

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 10:51 PM In reply to

My family has actually benefitted in many ways: 

1. Our nutrition has improved.  There's no room for frills (e.g. junk food snacks).  Grocery spending is more intentional, and our shopping is now focused on getting the best nutritional bang for our buck!
    2. We read and exercise more...we no longer fill in our downtime with mindless, expensive entertainment (e.g. walking around the mall, going to overpriced, unimpressive movies etc)
    3. We are more environmentally responsible with our choices - errands are carefully planned to avoid unnecessary driving and gas consumption.  Thirst is quenched with tap water in reusable bottles to avoid buying bottled water. Wardrobe gaps are filled with thrift store purchases where possible.  Buying retail is the last resort.
    4. We have developed new DIY skills or honed the ones we already had.  DD19 and I hardly go to the hair salon now that she has mastered some of the salon services we previously "outsourced"
    5. We are again becoming "our brothers' keepers" as we were in the good old days.  We share our surplus, our ideas, our deals and steals with others in the hope that we will all weather the financial storm together, instead of drowning in our respective financial woes!
    6. We are more creative than ever. For example, my DDs and I are "shopping our closets," for new ways to wear old things.  Our outfits have improved...lots more style while spending so much less!
    7. We are more thankful about our blessings and are a lot less inclined to take those blessings for granted!

Thanks for starting this thread.  I have been again reminded that every cloud has a silver lining!

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • Sat, Apr 7 2012 1:35 PM In reply to

• adegea
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 3 2012
    • spain
    • Posts 19

Basically more time with my family. And also more cooking from scratch, so elthier food.

http://adegeas.blogspot.com.es/
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us