Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Costs of Whole Grains?

Last post Tue, Mar 27 2012 9:20 AM by lcooper10. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:03 AM

Costs of Whole Grains?

How much are you all paying for dry and/or bulk WHOLE GRAINS? What are you willing to pay? Do you budget for the more expensive ones or treat yourself to them when you can or wait for sales?

In case you aren't exactly sure what's a whole grain or not I pulled a little list to share here below...Whole grains are smart grains and smart carbohydrate sources. People often thing carbohydrates are bad. The body needs carbohydrate fuel but from healthy and smart sources. Learn what's healthy and what's not and then balance and structure your diet around healthy carbohydrate sources which includes whole grain foods. Find ways to enjoy them! Read more about smart/good carbs here: http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/Carbohydrate_Foods_List_with_Healthy_Carbohydrates.shtml

Here are some of the more common whole grains or whole-grain foods you're likely to find in a grocery or health-food store:

• Amaranth
    • Barley
    • Brown rice
    • Bulgur (cracked wheat)
    • Whole-wheat pasta or couscous
    • Flaxseed
    • Millet
    • Oats
    • Quinoa
    • Rye
    • Spelt
    • Wheat berries
    • Wild rice

Learning Info:

What are Whole Grains?

Whole grains are the whole seeds of plants. They include the bran (an outer layer which contains most of the fiber), the germ (the part from which new plants sprout that contains many important nutrients) and the endosperm (the largest part of the seed, but it offers little nutrition).

Wheat Kernel

For millions of years, humans ate whole grains straight from the plant stalk. This gave them a rich package high in fiber, vitamins and minerals, healthy fats, enzymes and hundreds of other valuable phytonutrients.

But the late 19th century Industrial Revolution changed our grains.

Modern milling strips away both the bran and germ, along with all the healthy oils that need refrigeration to keep from spoiling. This makes grains easier to store and gives them a much longer "shelf life." But besides all the fiber and oils, wheat loses 90% of vitamin E and half it's B vitamins.

The refining process also smashes the endosperm into tiny bits, which turns wheat into fluffy fine flour to make light airy breads and pastries.

But we pay a high health price for these high glycemiccarbohydrates.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:21 AM In reply to

Re: Costs of Whole Grains?

Today I scored a sale on various legumes/beans and brown rice. I am not the biggest fan of the texture of brown rice but it's a whole grain and I REFUSE to buy or use white rice so these bags found a new home. I bought 4 bags @ 1lb each and .79 cents a bag. Score! I then say cous cous at this discount store. Everything in the store is cheaper than chain grocery stores since this is a discount store and has TONS of great stuff. 1 box of cous cous at a chain store would have been about 3.50 or higher. This store was selling it for 1.50 but these boxes really don't make much cous cous and I'd have to make 2 boxes at once if I wanted to serve it with a dinner... I did not feel, even though the boxes were more than half the cost than chain stores, this was a good bargain. I LOVE cous cous but not at those prices - discounted or not. It would have to be a treat then or planned for special occassion. I did score a good sized bag of organic flaxseed for about 3 bucks or less and some oats with bran for I think $2 a container. Good deals today on the whole grains I got.. the brown rice was the best deal of them all.

So, in a nutshell, today's whole grain shopping deals at Grocery Outlet:

1lb bags of brown rice @ .79 cents each

Organic flaxseed @ $3 bag

Oats with Bran @ $2 container

I need to do some dry bin hoping to find where I can get the best prices on other whole grains we enjoy like quiona, cous cous, barley, wild and exotic rices, etc.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:15 AM In reply to

Sounds like a good price for the brown rice! You might want to store some in the freezer- brown rice will go rancid because of the oils in it.

You probably know this, but cous cous is not a grain; it is more like a pasta product. Like you say, very yummy as a treat. 

We buy some grains- rolled oats, kasha(buckwheat groats), barley, and lentils mostly- from a organic bulk dealer in our area- in bags of 20- 50 lbs. These are things that keep for a long time stored in the bag in a steel trash can.I will not buy the brown rice this way- we can't use up 25-50 lbs before it goes rancid.

Quinoa I buy in bulk from a food coop- but never more than a pound or two, because i like to store it in the freezer.

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:51 AM In reply to

Grover, I plan to use all four bags within this month so I doubt any problems with rancidity but thank you for the tip! I can keep that in mind if I ever buy big bulk. I wanted to see how we liked this one before massive buying. I know brown rice is brown rice but I have found slight differences in brands so this is a test drive for a good price!

Cous cous, yes a litle cheater lol but I consider it a grainy like side when I serve it. I do love it. The same with quinoa though, it's a seed not a grain... I need to get my butt back to Big Lots. I found nice whole wheat cous cous there once, score.

Okay so you are a massive bulk buyer. That is hardcore. I see your lovely grain listings but no prices? What are you paying? that's the point of this post LOL!!! I like to compare area prices. Also, sometimes someone may mention a store they are getting a good deal at and others may be able to go to that store too. That's why I mentioned grocery outlet in my comment, it's a really nice discount store here in CA. Please share how much you are paying for those massive bags and also for your quinoa - that one can get pricey like cous cous over here but it's so good for you and worth the stretch IMHO!

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 9:34 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

1 lb bags of brown rice was nearly $2 and the last time I bought rolled oats, I payed $2.75 a container.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:15 PM In reply to

Amazing how prices to one by be deals to another...I declare I live in a very expensive state. Some of the prices you folks consider outargeous or steep folks over here would consider them DEALS if compared to our higher prices. I like to see the differences though and average costs even if I wish I could borrow some of those price tags to stick in stores over here LOL What's up with CA please LOL?! Brandy, what are your target prices for whole grains?

• Sun, Mar 11 2012 8:02 PM In reply to

Please share how much you are paying for those massive bags and also for your quinoa - 

The nice thing about buying in bulk is I don't buy too often- my last bulk order was about a year ago. I do not recall the prices, except for steel-cut oats, 10 lbs@ .99/lb. This was not a chain store, it was a regional bulk foods supplier, only in my state (NY.) I don't choose to post my location.

Quinoa I last bought a few months ago- it was not cheap, either high $2. or low $3. a pound.

That was a local natural foods co-op.

All grains are by definition seeds.

• Mon, Mar 12 2012 6:50 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    what are your target prices for whole grains?

I haven't been buying brown rice at all lately due to price. I can get white at $1.99 for five pounds, that's a big cost difference.

Oatmeal is rarely on sale where the small container works out to be as good a price as the large bought at full price.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Mon, Mar 12 2012 9:55 AM In reply to

Brandy, white rice is dirt cheap over here too. I think it's pretty cheap all over though to be honest. I do not buy it though. I am not sure if you know but it's practically nutritionless. It's brown rice that has been STRIPPED of it's nutritent rich components and left without the important vitamins, minerals and fibers we naturally get and need through complex carbohydrate sources. It often has to be enriched in order to give it some health boost back up but still not an adequate source of healthy/good grains. I understand we all gotta do what we gotta do, also good though to know what we are doing and how we are spending limited funds that are meant to/being used to support a not so limited life and health through nutrition. I budget my money around eating healthy so that I can serve healthy nutritionally dense foods to me and my loved ones. If that means downsizing in some ares of my life than so be it, nutrition is top priority as it's the foundation to our health and without health we are limited in life. I know from experience which is why I chose to make this top priority. I have seen a lot of families even on tiiiight budgets make the same leeps as best as they can, really nice to see improvements/changes and most report feeling so much healthier and happier from the transition.

• Mon, Mar 12 2012 11:16 AM In reply to

This isn't exactly a whole grain, but I just ordered a 50 lb sack of steel cut oats for $57.99. I did look at whole oat groats, but they were $58.99 for the same amount. They're minimally processed enough that it's worth it to me to get the steel cut ones instead. Rolled oats were cheaper, and quick oats were definitely cheaper, but the quality drops sharply at that point.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 1 of 4 (35 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us