Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Dental Savings - HELP

Last post 03-10-2012 10:10 PM by seaturtle. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-09-2012 9:42 AM

Dental Savings - HELP

Has anyone heard of Aetena's Vital Savings program??? It's not insurance but a discount card option. I would be interested in the dental only as that's where I need MASSIVE fianacial help. We are SWIMMING deep waters in dental fees and I have SO MUCH work that needs to be done. A savings program like this looks great but is it a hoax? any experiences with this or plans like this? I once had dental insurance, wow was that a remarkable blessing. I then went on a cheap dental plan that offered some discount and that helped but had very limited options. I am now working with a team of different dentists who I trust and are educated on my fragile health conditions and am not looking to switch so please no suggestions for cheap dental school options, already know about that and isn't going to work for me.My current care teams - they have, out of the goodness of their hearts, wavered many fees for me and given me extra needed work without charging. They see how bad the situation is and have been touched to reach out...That right there is a gift from God. I am looking for ways to save though since everything has to be paid out of pocket. My dental problems are very severe, let's just say train wreck and MUCH work is needed = MUCH COST.

http://www.vitalsavings.com/your-savings.aspx

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-09-2012 11:57 AM In reply to

Re: Dental Savings - HELP

BB, just wanted to send you some BIG HUGS here! 

I had extensive dental work done myself last year, and understand just how big a difference it makes when you have the right team to work with to get it done.  We were able to spread a bit of mine out, and maximize what the insurance has paid in doing so.  The rest I've consolidated onto a personal loan, current balance of about $9,000, that will be paid off in 5 years. 

So sorry I don't know about the program you're asking about! I wish I had more information for you.  Just wanted to send some support from someone who has been there!

Kris in VA
  • 03-09-2012 12:10 PM In reply to

Silver, I appreciate the support more than you know. I am so down in spirits and demon debt waters. THIS WEEK alone has cost OVER 3,000 and that's with sincere loving secret discounts from both the dentists I have seen. This last 3 months I have had medically mandatory and emergency procedures: 2 surgeries for 3 extractions, multiple cavities removed and filled, 2 root canals... jump back a few months prior and more fillings, another root canal, and crown work. I still have every tooth that's left in my mouth needing multiple fillings, many need root canals and then crowns... some extractions... some on the edge of falling out in the front and bridges will be needed. Jump back the last 5 or so years and that's when I started even getting all these major treatments... So past, present and future money problems. I have also had multiple infections due to the infected teeth that had to come out and more on their way. I have never in my entire life experienced more physical pain, torture and suffering. Don't forget an abscess the size of a grape and bogus problems after surgery - I had to get major medical clearance for them to even operate on me and that was without knocking me out. Knocking me out would knock me out cold so that is not an option. Now I have gum disease and problems caused from a poor fitted temporary crown that popped off and a metal one was put on to make things sturdy and prevent another break off. It's eaten at my gumline and caused infected abscess and bleeding, another thing to add to the list. I am sure you know that tooth pain is the most painful kind of pain on the face of this earth. ALL different nerves in the head, neck, ear, jaw and teeth get effected and 1 little trigger sets off wild fire of pain all over. It's unliveable at times and I am so physically stable and fragile they have to treat me like a young child so I can't take pain killers or hardcore medications. I am STUCK to fend and put up with. It has not only effect my immune system but also sleep, mental health and mood, back conditions from not being able to sleep laying down and having to sit all pretzel like against the wall in conjunction to the foot bed lift I have to use do to edema conditions ... mental focus, EYE SIGHT, cordination, walking abilities, driving abilities and personal peace... Thank GOD I have medical insurance for all the side effects. I try to treat things naturally and have a good naturopatic team but that's out of pocket. I get discounts from them though too, people are so kind to love me enough to help. All this pain and suffering though... It's been the most devestating thing and my spirits get really low so I need this support and appreciate it so much. Thank you. Sometimes you need a shoulder to cry on and feel alone in the battle even if you aren't... that shoulder is a blessing.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-09-2012 2:14 PM In reply to

The shoulders are here, please lean on them as much as you need! 

I don't know if I'd call it lucky or not, but while mine were in horrible shape, I wouldn't have told you I was in pain before I got the work done.  Now, I look back and wonder how I lived like that.  Had I felt the pain for what it was, and realized that I was in constant pain, I very well may have dealt with things before they got as bad as they did.

I wound up with 10 extractions, and now have 2 bridges, several fillings, and 9 crowns that aren't part of the bridges.  I still need to get an implant done where there once was a molar, but that's on hold til we can save up the money for our portion of the bill after baby comes.  In the meantime, we've been saving to get DH's work done.  He had 10 extracted himself in December, and will need 1 bridge, 1 crown, 1 implant, and 1 filling.  Insurance will cover alot of it for him, we'll be able to spread it out over more than 1 years' insurance maximums. 

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers with everything!  Try to take one step at a time, and you will get through it!

Kris in VA
  • 03-09-2012 3:00 PM In reply to

Sounds like you, hubby and I are ruthless and toothless (I have to just smile, thank Heaven if even one tooth is left after all the trauma/damage). If you don't mind me asking, do you know the roots to your dental problems? like what caused all the damage? If that's too personal I understand or if you want to PM me about it instead of public, cool with that too. I wish you both the best. How is life with bridges? did it effect taste? I have heard taste gets effected... I'm not sure how many I will need but I know I will need them for sure in the front...
  • 03-09-2012 10:25 PM In reply to

Bb, I am s sorry for this. I went through something similar, and finally got almost all teeth removed and had dentures placed. Looking back, I should have done that before things got sooo bad in my mouth. Just something to consider - much less suffering and much less expense, less stress on you financially and emotionally and physically.

I know it's not what anyone would want, but sometimes it's the wisest and most healthy choice.

• 03-09-2012 10:44 PM In reply to

Sea Turtle... I appreciate the support but do you remember awhile back we already went through all this? I considered this as a possibility but I am in NO STATE of health to get all these teeth pulled. Sea, it was HARD ENOUGH to get medical clearance to even pull ONE. It took 2 weeks of jumping back and forth between dentists and doctors and lab work and communication for them as a team effort. And I can't even go under for that matter so all that for numbing shots and surgery. The decision to get the last 3 pulled was based on the fact that the infection had been there so long and was so severe it may have traveled to my brain and just flat ou killed me. It then became a medical emergency with a 50/50 let's hope he makes it through chance. I have tried to explain many times here that I am not medically stable or able to just yank all my teeth and get dentures and frankly if they can be saved then I'd rather save them then to resort to something THAT extreme. The dentist went APE CRAP when I even lightly mentioned the idea on Wed during work, both the tech and dentist had to stop and scorn me for even considering. I keep my mouth shut in that sense now... and open when they need to work on it lol They know best, we don't... sorry to have to explain all this again but hope you understand now... I feel like a broken record having to say it over and over again though so hope this wraps it all up. I am glad you found a solution that worked for you but mine is not the same honey, xo

• 03-10-2012 9:11 AM In reply to

BB, I don't mind sharing at all!  If anything, there's always the hope that hearing what I've been through could help someone else.  :)

Mine was a mixture of things.  Due to genetics, my teeth have always been slightly discolored.  As a kid, I was taunted, teased, and horribly made fun of for it.  Instead of teaching me to be comfortable and happy with who I was, my mother dealt with it by hollering at me twice a day to brush my teeth.  By the time I was 13, I was bordering if not across the line with OCD doing everything a kid can to take care of their teeth.  Then I needed 2 fillings for molars that came in with cavities, and had a very bad experience with the dentist  not believing me when I told him I was still feeling pain.  That broke something in me, having to deal with the pain of getting those fillings even after I'd done everything RIGHT myself to take care of my teeth.  So I stopped.  I had my son when I was 16, and the pregnancy was hard on my teeth, and then things just continued down hill from there til Nov 2010.  Then my son, then 9, fell and chipped his front tooth, and that pushed me over the edge.  I'd been thinking about the dental work, and talking about it with DH, and DS needing his chipped tooth fixed ended up being the catalyst, and made me get my rear in gear to get it done.  I found the right dentist, made a plan, and started the work.  Still not technically done, not until the implant gets done.  While going through the work, my mom inquired if the dentist I'd found took her insurance, and since he did she started going there as well. Then I found out that half my problems were crappy genetics, as all but 4 of my mother's teeth were crowned before I was even born!

So, basically, I was predisposed to dental issues genetically, and then the lack of care when I couldn't cope with the situation anymore certainly didn't help. 

I hope you're able to continue making progress with your work with all the extra medical complications, it sounds like a daunting task.  One day at a time, one trip to the dentist at a time, and things will keep getting better!

Kris in VA
  • 03-10-2012 9:19 AM In reply to

Meant to answer your question about bridges too.  Really I did.  :)

I have 2, and 99% of the time don't even know it.  Mine are the permanent ones, where the teeth on either side of a missing tooth are crowned, and then those crowns hold the pontic to replace the missing tooth.  Occaisonally food bits do get stuck under them, but I use a waterpik water flosser to floss, and that takes care of it no problem.  If I run my tongue around the inside of my mouth I can feel the dents in my gums where there are no roots of teeth, and I can feel that there's no spaces between the teeth that make up the bridge.  I can't tell the difference between the bridges and the regular teeth by feel, but since so many of mine are crowned anyway, they're now made of the same stuff as the bridge. 

Kris in VA
  • 03-10-2012 10:24 AM In reply to

Purple, you and Sea are both REAL troopers and I ADMIRE your strength to get through and fight through this all. I am so sorry any of us have had to experience what we have. Thank you for your honest response, it all really helps to hear other's stories too.

Ps. I know you have a baby coming soon, when id your due date? Congratulations. Children are a gift from God. I am glad you have a stable family with your hubby and son and also some beautiful bridges to enjoy now so you can move on from the dental drama and get back to a less pain filled and happier life!

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us