Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Spring Cleaning for the Finances

Last post Mon, Mar 5 2012 11:32 PM by karenteacher. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 12:22 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Spring Cleaning for the Finances

For many, spring is settling in. It's a good time to clean out files, finish the taxes and take stock of finances if you did not tackle this in January.

Do you do this kind of thing yearly?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:48 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Spring Cleaning for the Finances

Yes, any changes to my salary begin with my January check.  This year I upped health care savings and upped our food and household budget as I would like to have 1 year of groceriesand supplies on hand.  I hope I'm wrong, but I think with everything that is going on in this country and the rest of the world, I think I will have a bigger bang for my buck doing this instead of adding to savings that is paying virtually no interest.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:24 PM In reply to

Got a small raise ok thats good now to lose the diet coke and ciggs be a bigger raise yet and I will faint then the spring is not here yet snowing and freezing rain again wheee aren't we having fun on the farm.  No cow rodeos until summer.

• Wed, Feb 29 2012 10:03 PM In reply to

We too do our finances for the year the first part of January.

We have a small increase in income this year (per month) so want to be sure I put that into savings and never see it again!

After all, we lived on last years income last year. Should be able to do it again!

Of course we do on occasion have to redo the monthly budget for various reasons but for the most part we stay the course.

• Thu, Mar 1 2012 12:32 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

we are redoing our mortgage at a lower rate so that will help. dh doesn't get raises until july of each year.   need to set up a new budget too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Mar 1 2012 6:04 PM In reply to

We're in the process of cleaning out files and the other papers that tend to stack up ...  Haven't gotten to taxes yet, but I have all those papers in a safe place.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:50 PM In reply to

I do every January, sort, toss, as well as take time to shop around to see if I can get a better deal on insurance. I so dread going through these files that I reward myself. I do baby steps.. one file drawer at a time, then when I'm finished I reward myself with a matinee. I love going to matinees by myself. Weird maybe? heh

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 11:32 PM In reply to

I usually reevaluate around this time of year, generally when my taxes are done.  I have a refund (although, as I pay off the mortgage, the amount of the refund is steadily shrinking, as the mortgage is my primary deduction - and I'm okay with that!) and I always check to see if I need to adjust my withholding. Unlike previous years, I will be putting my refund into savings rather than paying down debt - my father lives in Israel and I haven't seen him in 5 years, so either I'm going to go there or I'm going to buy him a ticket to come here, I haven't decided.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us