Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Replacing a picture window

Last post Mon, Mar 5 2012 5:01 PM by Karen K. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 7:06 PM

Replacing a picture window

Our huge picture window has been in bad shape for years.  We are considering having it replaced with a slightly smaller window or group of windows - has anyone done this recently enough to give me an estimate what it might cost?  We'll be having it done as this is beyond what dh can do, especially with his back issues. 

The house is nearly 60 years old and this is the orginal window.  It measures around 100" wide and about 4 or 5 feet long, but we want to go a bit smaller while still being in scale with the house...Liz.

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 5:41 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Replacing a picture window

I am just bumping this question up since it was not answered.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Mar 4 2012 11:57 PM In reply to

There are two local places that custom build windows to fit any measurements you give them.  I replaced all the windows in my trailer when I bought it 3 years ago.  Spendy!!!  The largest was 4 foot tall and 6 foot wide. I ordered double pane with a screen on the half that opens, the glass has what it called "E" coating that reduces sun bleaching, also helps keep heat in/out.  The cost of the window as over $350 and I had family do the work of replacing it and doing the trim work. 

If you are going to replace a window, go for the double pane, and the "E" coating.  Truely makes a difference for a small added cost.  I felt it paid for itself within a year or two. 

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 6:46 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

TizzyLizzy:
    It measures around 100" wide and about 4 or 5 feet long

That's a huge window.  Our local lumberyard will offer help, ideas and estimates at no cost, is there something near you that you could get some help and ideas from?  With that kind of space you could do almost anything.  I agree with Violet and go with the Low E and double pane.  Makes a big difference in your heating/cooling costs.

I've got a feeling that your costs are not going to be with the window - but with a contractor.  The house is older, you want a smaller window, the contractor will have to re-work the space for the new window. 

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:40 AM In reply to

Yes, it's a big-un.  Luckily, the window is in an 'out-cropping' from the house - so hopefully when we replace it with a slightly smaller sized window(s), the whole front of the house won't need to be re-worked, at least.  We're actually considering two or three nice casement windows, side-by-side.  And definitely going with the Low E stuff - the window faces due west. 

We have a contractor we like, though he's definitely not the cheapest, we do trust him and he's done a lot of great work for us.  I think we'll get him out for an estimate and go from there.  I might even sneak in a new front door, if the price is do-able.

So, does everyone go with vinyl windows now?  I saw some (very pricey) wooden ones - but is the wood on the outside too?  Isn't that a LOT of maintenance?  Our house is tan and brown, and I think the wood might look nice, but the price will be a big factor.

Thanks for everyone's input and for the bump, Brandy...Liz.

• Mon, Mar 5 2012 5:01 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

I used to work at a wholesale building supplier (siding/windows and other supplies) in the early 90's.  I know alot has changed since I was working with windows.    You can get vinyl windows with a woodgrain finish but I'm not sure if can be woodgrain on the outside.  Vinyl is less expensive than wood windows.  And with wood windows you will have to maintenance the wood to prolong the life of the window.

Having a great contractor that you like and trust is like finding a car mechanic you like and trust.  You keep him!  In fact, I'm pretty sure your contractor can go to his supplier(s) and get the window estimate for you.

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us