Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

St Patty's Day Dinner - Corned Beef or None???

Last post 03-08-2012 11:22 PM by BargainBinge. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-26-2012 7:45 PM

St Patty's Day Dinner - Corned Beef or None???

Are you planning a traditional corn beef dinner for St Patty's Day? If not, what will you be serving? Share your corned beef or alternative menu plans please!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-26-2012 8:08 PM In reply to

Re: St Patty's Day Dinner - Corned Beef or None???

corn beef here

broiled cabbage

beans

green jello with limes in it pucker up bud you get a smouch from the green lepercon frog.

• 02-26-2012 8:18 PM In reply to

Corned beef and cabbage, provided I can find a good sale on the beef this year Wink

• 02-26-2012 8:52 PM In reply to

Definitely not corned beef, DH can't stand it and I can't stand the smell of it cooking. I used to help cook for my parents restaurant and catering business when I was a teenager and then I had to deliver the food to the catering sites. Try being locked in a vehicle with pots and pots of corned beef and cabbage, never again!!! Still can't stand the smell. I have no idea what I will cook it depends on who is home that day.
    Riley
  • 02-26-2012 11:56 PM In reply to

I have pasties in the freezer I made up in January just for St. Pats.  A green salad, and a dessert will be all i need to make a nice Irish meal.
  • 02-27-2012 6:34 AM In reply to

Riley, I have been meaning to say this but you are a total cheater chef... wink. This means that your growing up in the food business gives you major insight and experience as a head hancho chef! See now I know why your dinners are so fabulous and well planned!!! Cheater!!! No one taught me LOL Maybe you can. You'd make a great personal chef. Did you ever consider this for your own business or was working with your parent's and their business enough growing up and you had other passions to persue? Cheater! lol that will be my silly joke with you from now on, gotta love you dear.

As for St Patty's over here there is a major corn beef dilema going on. I won't even get into details but the request is to cook one and I honestly and soul worthy do not want beef or pork over here and was going to make an exception for St Patty's ONLY but that is honestly not what I want to do as of now. That may or may not change depending on how I feel but I would be much happier, regardless, if I were able to offer a nice alternative. I have menu planned some very clean healthy vegetable sides and was hoping I could pull off a cabbage wrapped dill-salmon wellington. I've never done this but have the idea to make my dill-icious salmon, wrap it in cabbage and then in puff pastry and bake. Maybe shredded carrots and a layer of brie on top of the salmon might be nice too and set things well in the cabbage. This sounds so tasty the more I think about it. I would roast a lovely assorted of veggies: fennel, baby potatoes, nantes carrots, parsnips, brussles sprouts, asparagus or what not and maybe do my signature raw broccoli/sprout crunchy green salad.. fresh fruit... maybe a nice simple split pea green soup to keep on green theme or a broccoli cheese if I use the broccoli this way instead and cheese in the soup instead of the wellingtons? Not sure, still thinking this all over.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-27-2012 8:29 AM In reply to

Hey Wolf, so if beef at St Patty's when does no meat for Lent end for you? I thought the tradition and honor of it went till April as 40 days respectful sacrafice??? or am I mixed up here?

• 02-27-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

BB,

I never thought about being a chef when growing up. We worked along side my step-dad and the cook when we were teenagers. Sometimes we stepped in and did the cooking when the cook wanted a day off but most of the time we did the clean-up stuff. Although Sunday's buffet we were responsible for. We did all of the cooking, serving and clean-up. I learned alot of my cooking skills from my Mom and I experimented on my Grandmother alot. Grandma didn't cook so everytime I had a day off from work I would cook something up and have Grandma over for dinner.I also learned alot about cooking for diabetics when my Mom and father-in-law were both diagnosed. It turns out I love to cook and my sister who helped in the kitchen at the restaurant with me hates to cook. Her motto is" why should I cook when Betty Crocker can do it better?" I love to cook but running a restaurant takes alot of time and work. Because I am very picky about my produce and ingredients I would want to be the one in charge of it all and I just don't have the energy for it. I will stick to cooking for my family.

Riley
  • 02-27-2012 1:11 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

corned beef and cabbage  with potatoes and carrots  my family looking forward to it as welll as soda bread  I will make a Saint Patrick cake too.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 02-27-2012 1:46 PM In reply to

Riley, I am sure the experience thought you some beautiful tools to cherish and use throughout your life. I would not want to run a restaurant business either. It seems like a complete challenge and responsibility. I also find it more special and intimate to cook for the family like you do. I am sure your family are so grateful for your wonderful culinary creations!

Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us